Should people boycott some sports events in 2022?

Hub Headings Thinking Question Thursdays.png

2022 will see The Winter Olympics in Beijing, China, and the football World Cup in Qatar.

These will be reminders of how sport can bring the world together – but also of how big sporting events often end up being political.

China and Qatar have been in the news for human rights abuses. For example The charity Amnesty International has released a 48-page report claiming migrant workers in Qatar are being treated badly as they help to build stadiums for the tournament. There have also been calls for people to stay away from the Winter Olympics in China.

Some people want to boycott (stop supporting) big sports events that are held in these countries.

So, should you refuse to attend a big event hosted in a country where people are treated badly?

How to structure your answer:

"In my answer, I will argue from the position of a sports supporter / a sportsperson / member of a government.

I think... because..."

Comments (73)

• British Council.jpg thoughtful_iceberg | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

I think that we should refuse to attend a major event hosted in a country where people are treated badly because there is a violation of human rights and when we go to attend as if we do not care about human rights and we encourage them to violate the rights of workers, why not think what is the fault of a worker working to feed his children? Why is he treated in a despicable way, violates his rights, is stripped of his religion, and is forced to live in appalling conditions that lead to his death, and here they have robbed him of the right to life, so where has humanity gone? I understand that you love sports, but why do we always think about our interests? Why don't we think about the interests of others like the workers. You are having fun and being happy, but you don't know what the workers feel. When you go to attend sports in a country that does not respect human rights, you are encouraging it to continue violating human rights.

Reply to this comment
    1. katie.jpg Katie @ Topical Talk
      thoughtful_iceberg's comment 06 Jan 2022

This is very passionately writeen, thoughtful_iceberg. Your challenge now is to say how someone might respond if they disagreed with you with reasons.

Reply to this comment
    2. British Council.jpg wondrous_flight | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
      thoughtful_iceberg's comment 07 Jan 2022

I think that we should not reject the occurrence and attendance of this major event. Rather, this country should be complained to the decision-making countries that contain the largest institutions that defend human rights, and they must decide on these countries that do not respect their workers and give them a punishment, and they can be given Punishment by making any country not export them the goods they need or they can be punished through any other method.

As for the big event that will happen in these countries, everyone is eager and anxious for this event that will happen, but if countries continue to enter sports into politics, objections must be raised from all over the world against this, so that these countries understand what the meaning of sport and what the meaning of Politics and that it should not confuse them, and that this happens after the occurrence of tournaments that all people from all over the world yearn for.

I think that you should not deprive people who are eager for this championship from it.

Reply to this comment
      1. tom Tom @ Topical Talk
        wondrous_flight's comment 07 Jan 2022

The idea of punishing another country is an interesting one, wondrous_flight. These are often called "sanctions" - when other countries stop trading or doing business to a country with poor records on human rights. Do you think athletes at sports events should speak up about human rights abuses?

Reply to this comment
        1. British Council.jpg wondrous_flight | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
          Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 08 Jan 2022

Yes, I think so, since the tournaments that will be held this year are sure that the most famous sports teams will participate, and they have fans from all over the world, since after these tournaments are held, it is possible for the athletes to talk to the fans who They will attend and educate them about the danger of treating workers in this bad way, and that they publish this work on social media pages, and make it the talk of the world, because workers are human beings like us who have the right to be treated like us, take an example that someone insulted one of us or By treating him rudely, what will happen?? Surely you will do something not good or you will do a problem, because he insulted you, and how is the worker who is insulted every day, but he is patient until he collects his living with his children, is he because he is poor, he should be insulted, and since the athletes are among the most famous people in the world They must expose this in order for these countries to succeed in violating the human rights of the poor.

And I also think that the singing groups should advise like BTS to make the world aware of the dangers of this thing, as imagine that all the people in the world have become humiliated by presidents and leaders, how the world will develop, as the person who feels insulted becomes stubborn and opposite to the one who insulted him, And he hid his achievements related to the future, and then the world would become bleak and no one would develop in this world.

Therefore, we have to reduce this phenomenon to save ourselves and the world, by preventing the workers from being insulted “because they are human beings like us and I think that they are among the best people, because they give everything they have for the world, and they strive for their livelihood” I appreciate and thank them from all my heart .

thank you for reading

Reply to this comment
            wondrous_flight's comment 10 Jan 2022

A very in-depth explanation, wondrous_flight. Do you think it is the responsibility of athletes and famous music groups to speak up, or should it be the job of someone else?

Reply to this comment
            1. British Council.jpg wondrous_flight | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
              Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 11 Jan 2022

Yes, I think this is by releasing songs that mean what is meant or doing parties where people understand the danger of what they are doing and there are other ways to spread this. Singers can publish this on their own pages because of course they have many, many fans from all countries

Or the athletes have to do this by abstaining from playing as each team has its fans and fans, and then everyone starts asking about the reason and then this thing is exposed, and there are many other ways, including not playing any team with this team from this country and thus the country will return to her adulthood

But let's go back to the basic question, "Do you think it is the responsibility of athletes and famous musical groups to speak, or should it be someone else's?"
              I think that this thing is important for everyone (musicians, athletes and other people) where people must understand the importance and danger of this thing to society
              * This is the task of musicians and athletes because of its impact on society and their fame
              * This is the task of leaders and chiefs, because penal laws must be imposed
              * This is the task of ordinary people because they are the ones who develop and develop or prevent this

thank you for reading

Reply to this comment
          2. tom Tom @ Topical Talk
            wondrous_flight's comment 10 Jan 2022

A very in-depth explanation, wondrous_flight. Do you think it is the responsibility of athletes and famous music groups to speak up, or should it be the job of someone else?

Reply to this comment
      2. British Council.jpg thoughtful_iceberg | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        wondrous_flight's comment 07 Jan 2022

But in your opinion, can an institution that defends human rights punish a country like China, did you know that China warns countries that will diplomatically boycott the Olympic Games, such as the United States, imagine a strong country punishing a strong country, I think that China is the one that will punish institutions that defend human rights If they prevent the export of goods, then China's red border trade will regret it, but this is that it does not ask us to see injustice and be silent. I think that if countries that import from China should stop their import and this will certainly defeat China and stop its despicable way.

Reply to this comment
        1. British Council.jpg compassionate_explanation | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
          thoughtful_iceberg's comment 09 Jan 2022

Your comments were good and I benefited from them
          I will try to answer your question: the idea of ​​impeding a state that violates human rights is a wonderful idea, but your view is from China, because it is a strong country and there will be big problems if it is punished by another country, so it seems to me that the punishment should be globally, not by one country, perhaps From the International Society for Human Rights, or if it is in the field of sports, it is punished, for example, by international institutions supervising international sports, such as the World Olympic Committee, FIFA or other international institutions. Thus, China will not be able to fight the whole world or boycott the whole world, so it will have to respect human rights and Not to be violated, and I believe that this is the best solution for powerful countries that violate human rights

Reply to this comment
    3. British Council.jpg compassionate_explanation | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
      thoughtful_iceberg's comment 10 Jan 2022

But don't you think that we should not involve politics in sports and that sports should be a way to unite the whole world Instead of letting this opportunity slip from our hands, let the authorities and rights-supporting associations punish them and let sports unite us. It is true that violating human rights is a major crime But whoever proves that these countries have violated human rights, there are many reliable sources that have stated that these countries do not violate human rights. News of these countries’ violations of human rights may be just rumors to stop sporting events or to spread the bad reputation of these countries, so what will you do if you boycott these events Sports, and then I discovered that it was just a ray or a false news. It would have missed a valuable opportunity to unite the whole world. Therefore, we should not enter politics into sports, and I am arguing for a supportive site for sports.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg aware_painting | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from the site of a sports supporter..First of all, we must not involve politics in sports, but rather make sports a symbol of unity, participation and humanity...and holding the Olympic Games in Qatar is considered an international cooperation in demonstrating world peace due to the presence of many people from all countries and races. and religions, and do not forget to prepare athletes for this huge global sporting event and look forward to participating in it with passion and love; The boycott harms the interests of athletes all over the world. Sport must be a symbol of unity, friendship and sportsmanship, and refrain from giving it a political color that casts a shadow over the countries of the world with a negative impact, as long as we have the ability to escape from this influence.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg appreciative_pear | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

After reading about the Olympics and football, I think the Olympics should be boycotted and also some people want to boycott it because the host countries have in the news for violating human rights.

The Winter Olympics in China and the FIFA World Cup are scheduled to be held in Qatar.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg champion_seed | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from a supporter of sports website.. First, I will say that sport is important for all human beings to build the body. Therefore, sport also has an interest in that for other countries, whether it is Arab, foreign or American, then no country has the right to interfere in the affairs of other countries. .......

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg fulfilled_peach | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

I think everyone in attendance should refuse to come and host them in a country that treats people badly, and should stay away from the Winter Olympics in China; Because with how sport brings the world together, China and Qatar topped the news of human rights violations, and Amnesty International released a report alleging that migrant workers in Qatar are being treated badly because they help build tournament stadiums. There have also been calls for people to stay away from the Winter Olympics in China. Some people also want to boycott (stop supporting) major sporting events that take place in these countries.

Reply to this comment
    1. avatar.jpg EXPERT: Satina @ Arup
      fulfilled_peach's comment 13 Jan 2022

Hi fulfilled_peach's thank you for your comment. You have stated that everyone in attendance should refuse to attend, but can you say more from the perspective of an athlete who has trained for many years just to compete and potentially rely on the international audience during the Olympics for future sponsorships and funding.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg caring_personality | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

After reading about the Olympics and football, I think the Olympics should be boycotted and also some want to boycott because the host countries have in the news human rights violation. The Winter Olympics in China and the FIFA World Cup are scheduled to be held in Qatar.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg steadfast_woodpecker | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

I will argue Moayyed Sports. First, we should not make sports a joint with politics, but we should make it a means of uniting hand in hand, and it is an education for souls before they are winners of cups.

Sports help you build your strength, and discover many of your talents and abilities that you were unaware of your existence. We should not include politics in sports, because if we introduce them into each other, the sport will be destroyed

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg exuberant_snow | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

i think we can boycott sports venues that do not respect human rights because respecting human rights is the first thing for the state, because a person is insulted by a person in the state. As for those who work for him or for others, the state must oppose this, and the importance of respecting human rights has been published in television programmes

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg excellent_snow | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

I think we should refuse to go to the big event because they are violating a human right which is to play sports. Why do they treat workers badly while they do their work very hard to get money to feed their children. Why do they say they support politics? This is very, very wrong. The Olympic Games is an international aid from countries. The sport is the most important thing found working on agility and fitness.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg versatile_satsuma | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    06 Jan 2022

Dignity does not license for the sake of love and passion, I think this sentence is enough to explain what I mean, but let me explain it more with a simple example, to imagine with me when you go to buy new clothes, you go and choose what suits you in the size and then pay and leave and you may be very happy with what you got , this is what should be applied in the concept of sports, we love sports and have more passion than the players themselves, and when we go to it, we have paid it with our love and passion, and it remains to receive the same good treatment, not to be dragged into humiliation and humiliation and pay dignity for the sake of a funny sport episode, yes indeed, it will become In the eyes of many, if they are treated unfairly, sport is a playground where people gather to return to what they love and to the spirit of competition and victory, so do not deprive them of their rights even for the sake of the dark threads of politics,Sport is a place in which the world is linked together, so do not also be the reason for the disintegration of the whole world.

Reply to this comment
      versatile_satsuma's comment 07 Jan 2022

What's more important, basic workers' rights, or the rights of sportspeople to play at the big events?

Reply to this comment
      1. British Council.jpg majestic_moon | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 09 Jan 2022

Both are important. The right of workers and the right of athletes, because all have human rights. We must respect them, just as we defend our rights and talk about our rights. They also have rights. The viewers have rights. Workers also have rights. Workers come to work for their livelihood. So should we humiliate them because they cannot defend themselves???

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg pioneering_wilddog | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

Well, sport helps a lot in building social relations. I did not imagine that someone would use it like this. These events must continue and continue to be supported, but with laws, one should not encroach on the other, and do not take advantage of sport in a way that tarnishes its reputation. There are rules for every match that will happen, but what is happening now in Qatar is really a violation of human rights, isn't it??

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg independent_technology | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

In my opinion, yes, I will refuse to attend this tournament. How can I go to attend a football tournament in a country that violates workers' rights?!
    They organized the tournament and the stadium and we come to watch..
    Football is a global game that made the two teams from different countries in one stadium, meaning that it brings together many peoples in one land, and it is bad that the land on which they meet is a land that violates human rights...!

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg poetic_attention | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

I will argue from the Sports Support website, first, that they should not treat workers badly, because it is not the fault of the man who eats from the sweat of his brow and gets tired in order to provide for his livelihood, thus violating human rights. By destroying the sport, the athletes will suffer from insomnia, increased anxiety and depression.

Reply to this comment
      poetic_attention's comment 07 Jan 2022

Is boycotting an event "destroying" the sport, poetic_attention?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg compassionate_explanation | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

First, I will register for a sports support site, why? Because we should not introduce the politics and prejudice that exists in the world to the world of sports, secondly, because it is a global opportunity to unite the whole world, so why let this opportunity slip from our hands, thirdly, because there are many reliable sources that deny that these countries violate human rights, for example, the President of FIFA (Gianni) stated Infantino) that the World Cup in Qatar will be the best ever
    The FIFA President also said that the World Cup finals in Qatar will be very amazing and will not be repeated again
    At the time, he also stated about the reports related to the violation of human rights by Qatar and the host countries. He confirmed that since his appointment as FIFA President, he visited Doha and learned the conditions of workers in the World Cup facilities, but he saw that the measures and laws taken by Qatar to preserve human rights and not to violate them were very amazing and it is a strong response On reports that Qatar host countries violate human rights, he added that Qatar is working seriously to put laws in order to preserve human rights, adding that many other human rights organizations specializing in worker rights are present in Qatar and are closely monitoring what is happening
    He commended Doha for giving it many job opportunities for its residents, describing what it did is a humanitarian thing and it is rare to happen.
    This is a strong response from reliable sources to respond to those who say that Qatar and the host countries violate human rights, so I am strongly supportive of these sports activities because they are an irreplaceable opportunity to unite the whole world

Reply to this comment
      compassionate_explanation's comment 07 Jan 2022

Might we have any reason do doubt what Infantino says, compassionate_explanation?

Reply to this comment
      1. British Council.jpg compassionate_explanation | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 07 Jan 2022

Of course, we have no doubt whatsoever about what the FIFA President says about what is happening in Qatar and the hosting countries because he is responsible for these things and is the most aware of what happens in those countries and he is responsible for them. There is no doubt about what he says

Reply to this comment
          compassionate_explanation's comment 07 Jan 2022

Is it in his interest to make sure the World Cup goes ahead? Could he be biased?

Reply to this comment
            Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 07 Jan 2022

I think that it is in his interest to hold the World Cup matches because they are events that the whole world awaits every 4 years, and they are the talk of everyone. He is responsible for them. If he canceled them, he would be exposed to a lot of criticism. If he was biased, these people would reveal the truth and criticize him
            It is in his interest and in the interest of everyone not to be biased

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg fulfilled_peach | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from a supportive sports website.. First, we should not combine politics with sports. Rather, we should make sports bring the world together. Some countries exploit sports for their interests, that is, how sports bring the world together. Rather, this is an excellent thing. Rather, we must make it a means of unification. Hand in hand, and it is raising souls before they win trophies. Sport should be a symbol of unity, friendship and sportsmanship, and refrain from giving it a political color that casts its misguidance on countries with a negative impact. We should not include politics in sports, because if we introduce it to each other, then Sports will be destroyed, as some people want to boycott (stop supporting) major sporting events that are held in these countries, whether they are foreign, Arab or American.The Winter Olympics are scheduled to be held in China and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, that's for sure, Tom said.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg majestic_moon | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

I think that politics should not be involved in sport, because sport brings the world together and helps unity and participation among people. Therefore, we should not enter politics into sport. Politics creates problems and is based on division, while sport is based on unity. Politics discriminates between races and religions, but sports combines everything without discrimination

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg independent_technology | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    07 Jan 2022

In my opinion, a protest should be made against (sports and politics). Well, first of all, they should not consider football as a political game. Politics is one thing, and football is another. It is just a game that brings together two teams from all over the world, nothing but...!
    And secondly, what I will say is that they should not stop supporting the sports that are taking place in Qatar, it is right that a protest should be lodged against those who violate the rights of workers...!

Reply to this comment
      independent_technology's comment 07 Jan 2022

What kind of protest, independent_technology?

Reply to this comment
      1. British Council.jpg majestic_moon | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 09 Jan 2022

In my opinion, they protest by not going to watch sports and not going to the stadiums, because when they violate human rights, they do not see what they are doing. But when people do them and violate their rights, they consider this a bad thing and defend themselves. It is the right of workers to defend themselves.

Reply to this comment
        1. Olivia-Avatar.jpg Olivia @ Topical Talk
          majestic_moon's comment 10 Jan 2022

What is the keyword when people stop going somewhere or stop buying or interacting with a company/country as a type of protest?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg kind_cymbals | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    08 Jan 2022

As a sports supporter, I refuse to go because they treat workers badly. I think this reason is good enough to refuse to go to such events. Sports as we can notice are for everyone. In a football match, for example, look at the people! You will find black and white people, healthy and sick people, people speaking different languages and so on. What gathered these people is football, and so there is no way those fans can accept discrimination and bad treatment. The depth of sports must look like its surface. I think everyone must boycott events where workers are discriminated.

Reply to this comment
      kind_cymbals's comment 10 Jan 2022

"The depth of sports must look like its surface" is a very great expression - can you explain what it means for everyone?

Reply to this comment
      1. British Council.jpg kind_cymbals | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        Tom @ Topical Talk's comment 10 Jan 2022

Sports in general is a passion and motivation for fans. For example, a
        football fan goes to the matches and watches them with passion and enthusiasm because it is a fair sport. What if the fans knew about the bad treatment that these workers were treated with?
        What will their situation be? Will they maintain their opinion that it is a FAIR sport or will this passion and enthusiasm go away?
        . Of course, they will lose their faith. Those who deserve to win in a match just win, and good treatment is the same; workers deserve all the kindness in this world because this is the FIAR they deserve.
        And because football is a great and famous sport and it encompasses various languages, religions and races, if this great sport falls, what will happen to the fans and the society in which this great sport existed? That's why I think the depth and surface should be the same, and this what I think everyone believes in. Hopefully, I answered your question.

Reply to this comment
    2. British Council.jpg compassionate_explanation | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
      kind_cymbals's comment 10 Jan 2022

I ask you a question: What assures you that they treat workers badly? As news has emerged saying that these countries violate human rights, other news has also emerged from reliable sources stating that these countries do not violate human rights and treat workers with respect and give them all their rights, so which of them will we believe the bad news or the good news? ??

Reply to this comment
      1. British Council.jpg kind_cymbals | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
        compassionate_explanation's comment 10 Jan 2022

Hi compassionate explanation. Your question is interesting.

Migrant workers have been always in the news for being treated badly. So I guess that at least part of this is true. Discrimination and racism are everywhere in this world.

Reply to this comment
          kind_cymbals's comment 11 Jan 2022

Can you think of any ways that people could end discrimination?

Reply to this comment
            Katie @ Topical Talk's comment 12 Jan 2022

The way toward a world where is no racism and discrimination will be hard and long. But the first step is to take the first step.

I saw in the sports news an incident where the professional German player Antonio Rüdiger, who plays for Chelsea in the Premier League, heard racist comments related to his black skin from the fans during a match against Tottenham in December 2020. The referee stopped the match and all other players from the two teams left the pitch expressing their solidarity with the player.
            What the referee and players did is a great step toward ending discrimination.

Rudiger says "nothing ever really changes" but he will "continue to fight against racist abuse". I say that this is the spirit we need to end discrimination. We should never give up. This player will be an example for other players to stand against racism. All players have millions of supporters around the world. Those supporters will learn from those players whom they love. The effect of such great deeds can go viral and can be an important step toward ending racism and discrimnation.

Reply to this comment
              kind_cymbals's comment 12 Jan 2022

This is very important to remember, thank you kind_cymbals. There is also the practice of "taking a knee" before each English Premier League game, to show there is no room for any kind of discrimination in football or society.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg smart_glacier | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    08 Jan 2022

I'm going to argue that I'm pro-sports
    Sports is a language that addresses souls to be peaceful and accept winning and losing in a good spirit
    And that many infiltrators are trying to distort the spirit of sports for political purposes and nothing more
    Workers everywhere have rights and support organizations that monitor constantly. Any complaint that harms the interests of countries will find someone to address it, whether you are an opponent or a supporter. You will not accept that your country does not respect a guest or sponsor it.

Reply to this comment
    1. avatar.jpg EXPERT: Andrew @ Arup
      smart_glacier's comment 13 Jan 2022

Thank you for your contribution smart_glacier. Can you explain more on your understanding of support organizations which monitor worker's rights? What sorts of challenges do you think these organizations might have when trying to do their work?

Reply to this comment
    08 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from a supportive sports website.. Firstly, sport builds bodies with energy and movement. We must not combine them with topics of politics. Rather, we must say that sport is important for all human beings to build the body. Rather, sport must be made as a means of unification, hand in hand for a state. You win trophies, sports should be a symbol of unity, friendship and sportsmanship. We should boycott the Olympics. Any game, whether Olympic or otherwise, should boycott the Winter Olympics in China and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar because they violate human rights, which made sports devastating.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg steady_starfruit | Khan Younis Prep A Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    08 Jan 2022

I think we should refuse to attend a major event hosted in a country where people are treated with disdain because it is a violation of the laws that provide for good treatment

Who are you to do this and do not have the authority to do so in the first place and must be prosecuted by demanding the law and exclusion
    Also, it is not necessary to differentiate between each individual, because people are equal. Each person has the right to do a legal act, but it should not be harmful to others.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg bright_conversation | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    08 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from the position of a member of a government. I think we need to have a big look because
    The Qatar government said Amnesty "fails to document a single story" from the hundreds and thousands of workers who have benefited from its reforms.
    It added that Qatar has also strengthened its enforcement measures to safeguard workers and prosecute employers who fail to comply with the law . Labour reform is a complex task, and Qatar believes that solutions are best found through dialogue and engagement. For this reason, and despite Amnesty's criticism, Qatar will continue to work constructively with a range of labor experts and practitioners to build on the progress that has been made."
    Fifa said in a statement: "The reforms have already benefited hundreds of thousands of workers in Qatar and we need to recognize the significant progress achieved in a very short time, thanks to the commitment of the highest authorities in the country. and everyone knows that Fifa will continue to push for greater protection of workers and promote the implementation of the wider labor reforms in Qatar through constructive dialogue with the Qatari authorities and joint efforts with other interested stakeholders.

Reply to this comment
      bright_conversation's comment 10 Jan 2022

Can you summarise what your main point is here?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg determined_deer | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    08 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from the website of a member of the government, because there are already allegations about workers being subjected to injustice and persecution in the State of Qatar, and this is the case in all countries, but the Qatari government is trying in various ways to take into account the expatriate workers and deal with them in the best way, and it has imposed several laws to ensure this, including:
    1- Laws stipulating restrictions on working hours.
    2- Forming dispute settlement committees.
    3- Establishing a fund to guarantee the payment of wages.
    4- Setting a new minimum wage.
    5- Abolishing rules that mean that workers need to obtain permission from employers to change jobs or leave the country.
    The government also periodically holds companies that violate laws and abuse workers accountable.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg caring_personality | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    09 Jan 2022

In my opinion, It's the duty of the people to boycott this matter because the immigrants who immigrated to the state have emigrated either by compulsion or forced by life, and this me have talked about, and that the spectators and players going there is an acknowledgment of this act and that we agree with it and we have trampled on human rights and believing that the boycott harms, for example The world unites and there are those who say that participating in games is are of our rights and the boycott prevents its presence in the boycott we did not say that you do not play me just want to help immigrants and me offer a right over a right. If we say me take your home and your country and make you play without food on money, do you agree?? I don't think but there international agreements and seeing what the state's problem is from brining then in and helping it.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg warmhearted_starfish | Asmaa Prep School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    09 Jan 2022

From my point of view, that we participate in order to make our mark, encourage ourselves and our country, and show our strength without hesitation.

Reply to this comment
    09 Jan 2022

After reading about the Olympics and football, I think that the Olympics should be boycotted. Any game, whether Olympic or otherwise, is scheduled to be held in China, the Winter Olympics and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar; We must not go to attend, and he has spread the importance of respecting human rights on television programmes, because if we go to watch, they will violate our rights, which is to play sports. There are rules for every match that will happen, but what is happening now in Qatar is really a violation of human rights, isn't it???? Athletes should not be treated badly. Aren't we human like them??? This is a violation of human rights

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg strong_buffalo | Asmaa Prep School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    10 Jan 2022

I think we should separate business and personal events. We can support them, but we don't cancel the Olympic city's gains, because if we want to boycott them in the end, what will happen? Does the abuse end? No, we have to think deeply. Think about what will happen in the post-boycott steps. We can't think of how to do that. Negative about sports. In the end, sport is a source of peace, unity, cooperation and a lot of good morals. Sportsmanship is present in sports. We must also completely separate politics and not pollute sports with it. In the end, the great example of non-violation of human rights in Qatar is being implemented in how the laws are set and the workers have rights and the athletes have rights we can't argue with this thing but in the end the priority for the athletes because the match takes place every four years we can compensate the workers and hold the person who did the bad work accountable

Reply to this comment
      strong_buffalo's comment 10 Jan 2022

Well done for separating out the people from the politics. Should sportspeople be allowed to show their political opinions on the pitch?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg healthy_antelope | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    10 Jan 2022

I will argue with a member of the government, because I will be closer to the opinion of the Council of Ministers in the state, and also more supportive of communicating the problem and the protest of the peoples and those who demand human rights
    I think we have to come to support the teams of our countries and to raise the morale of the teams, and in addition, there are people who are attending the match for the first time,We do not have to spoil their joy and enthusiasm, besides that they have already paid a lot of money to be among these stands,Also, the World Cup happens once every 4 years. There is no reason to spoil the joy of people who may be the last to watch this global event, So I will support the audience and take advantage of this presence by making protests in the stands and at the gate of the stadium

Reply to this comment
    10 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from a supportive sports site.. First, sports build bodies with energy and movement. We should not combine politics with sports. On the contrary, I think we should boycott the Olympics and we should stay away from the Winter Olympics in China and the Football World Cup in Qatar, because they violate human rights, as he wants Some people boycott (stop supporting) major sporting events that are held in these countries. So we should refuse to attend a major event hosted in a country where people are treated badly.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg imaginative_starfish | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    10 Jan 2022

At first, sport is an important factor in building the human body, maintaining agility, and building its muscles. I think it's not a good idea to include politics and sports under one heading, because for every class that knows that, I think athletes don't know about the abuses and bad dealings that happen around them, because if they knew, they would. They banned matches in the first place. And because sport is based on cooperation, participation and competition with honor, their boss may know them and not want them to know him because he knows that they will not play, and I also refuse to meet a large audience because of the abuse.
    They also have the right to stage uprisings and demonstrations to change this treatment. They can also file a complaint if they can. Also, having some celebrities join in on social media may be enough to educate people about what is happening behind the sport and the Olympics and cooperate in preventing these bad dealings.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg best_passionfruit | Jabalia Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    10 Jan 2022

As a sport supporter , I don't support at all that human rights are violated in any field especially the athlete , we often hear that we must have a sportsmanship in order for the game to be beautiful . and this must also apply to the human spirit . no one should be despised , no matter what , human right defend him , and who are you to come and violated them ?? and of course , I don't support any sport or country who do that .

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg dynamic_bilberry | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    10 Jan 2022

In my opinion, sporting events should not be boycotted; Because it constitutes a wide cultural tributary and a beautiful civilized landscape that brings together diverse spectra, in addition to being a station for self-entertainment, and encourages teamwork and belonging to the keenness of each team to win his team, and just as raising an atmosphere of competition inspires enthusiasm, and for bad treatment we raise a recommendation To the host government and the organizers of the match to urge them to adhere to human rights and fairness to workers.
    From my point of view, we do not boycott these sports, but rather be supportive with our absolute rejection of any bad treatment, and we must urge the modification of negative behaviors and support positive behaviors..
    The wrong behavior does not mean that we boycott the whole game, but rather represents a starting point towards change to a better reality

Reply to this comment
      dynamic_bilberry's comment 11 Jan 2022

Thanks, dynamic_bilberry. You say that you disagree with boycotting sports events, so what other ways could people "urge the modification of negative behaviours" if they think a government is treating people badly?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg enthusiastic_hippopotamus | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    11 Jan 2022

I think that we must refuse to attend a major event that is hosted in a country where people are treated badly because there is no human being who chose his reality with his own hands, and there is no person who wanted to emigrate with his own hand. And their future, I do not think that there is a person who chose alienation and distance in his hand, and treating people badly, no matter what they are, is a violation of human rights, and a person has the right to deal well no matter what and no matter what he did and from where he was or where he was found. As a human being, you are encouraged to violate your rights. We all have to put ourselves in the shoes of those people who are tired and struggle for their livelihood and in the end only receive bad treatment for little money.

Reply to this comment
      enthusiastic_hippopotamus's comment 11 Jan 2022

Did you mean to say "As a human being, you are encouraged to violate your rights"? Or did you mean something else? Violate means to go against something.

Also, can you explain what you mean by "a major event"?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg unassuming_tamarillo | Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    11 Jan 2022

First, I think that politics and sports should not be linked, because this negatively affects the athletes and violates their rights, just as the rights of workers have been violated. As for countries that punish workers, a decision must be taken to punish them internationally, away from the athletes. This is not permissible internationally, because it is the human right to work. These workers are doing their utmost to provide a livelihood for their children. This is their right. They have a right to life. Anyone who tries to punish them in any way must be punished.

Reply to this comment
    1. avatar.jpg EXPERT: Samuel @ KPMG
      unassuming_tamarillo's comment 13 Jan 2022

Thanks unassuming_tamarillo, you mention that politics and sports should not be linked, could you explain this a bit further? Do you think sport can be a way to bridge cultural differences and bring people with different politics together?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg dynamic_bilberry | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    12 Jan 2022

I think we must demand the rights of those workers who were treated badly and even did their work *to get their daily food*. Why this brutality and aggression? Where is the humanity? Therefore, all those who treated them badly must be held accountable, and we must organize “sit-ins” to support these workers, not just boycotting these countries. What is Maradona like? This is how we can discuss workers’ rights and also we cannot refuse to attend a big event like this because it is a valuable opportunity presented to us on a *platter* of gold to watch these athletes practice their hobbies, and I can invest my presence with the participation of a group of activists to raise banners and express our rejection Bad treatment.

Reply to this comment
      dynamic_bilberry's comment 12 Jan 2022

Some strong ideas here, dynamic_bilberry. Can you explain the mention of the Argentinian footballer Maradona?

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg fiery_moon | Shouka Prep Girls School | Occupied Palestinian Territory
    15 Jan 2022

I think that both China and Qatar are interested in political and economic matters before they think about humanity regardless of whether they were workers or ordinary people like us because if they cared about humans in general, they would cancel these Olympics because it is the largest global gathering. Whatever precautions and measures necessary to maintain security and safety from the danger of Covid 19 is very difficult. Control it, but the politicians in the country are only interested in political and economic interests, for example, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has refused to perform the rituals of Hajj and Umrah since the emergence of Corona, in order to preserve human lives, even though it is a religious and more important ritual than sport in order to preserve human lives.

Reply to this comment
  • British Council.jpg mindful_raisin | Islamabad Model School for Girls (VI-X), I-10/4 | Pakistan
    28 Jan 2022

In my answer, I will argue from the position of a sports supporter
    because Sports provide key dynamics when it comes to the augmentation of communal principles by enhancing the physical and mental well-being of individuals and the integration of social classes. Sport helps youths to become better contributors to society. Research shows a child's involvement in sport helps them to improve their social interaction, increase their confidence, and improve their listening skills and health. Watching and playing sports provide ways to escape the stress of our daily lives and come together as a community. Sports in society can even influence our understanding of gender roles and socio-economic issues, and they can help frame city, state, and national identity.

Reply to this comment
  • Cheam Fields logo excellent_solution | Cheam Fields Primary Academy A | United Kingdom
    08 Feb 2022

I think people should boycott some sports events but only if there has been a massive rise in covid cases in that country because if it is safe to go to the host country then they have a lot less chances of catching it and then running out of players for the competition but if there is too many cases in the host country they should boycott it because too many teams may run out of players and then they won't be able to continue the competition which would mean it was a waste to start it anyway.

Reply to this comment

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!