Brexit, Theresa May, Brexit, Parliment and more Brexit.

That's all we've been seeing or hearing about on the News, the TV, newspapers and practically everywhere!

But what really is the meaning of Brexit?

Brexit is "the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union". The word Brexit came to mind when merging the words "Britain" and "exit" to get Brexit.

To be perfectly honest, Brexit is really like a divorce. I think this because the 2 sides came together previously and stayed with each other for a reasonable amount of time (like before Brexit happened). They shared many things (like the EU and UK trading and exchanging). They became familiar with each other's customs, culture, food and rules. But finally, in the end, they had to leave each other and separate... Can you see the resemblance?

A referendum (a vote) took place on Thursday 23 June, 2016, to decide whether the UK should leave or remain in the European Union. According to BBC News, 51.9% of voters picked "Leave" and the other 48.1% voted for "Remain".

I worked out that exactly 335,519,83 people voted in total in the UK! (by adding the amount of people who voted leave and the amount of whom voted to remain - yes, I know this is not a Maths lesson!) That's more than 30 million (I think!)

When is the UK due to leave?

Theresa May triggered the Brexit negotiation on 29 March 2017, meaning the UK is scheduled to leave at around 11pm UK time on Friday, 29 March 2019.

Some people call it self-destruction. Why? Because so many companies are having to leave as of the financial burdens and expences they know they will face. With it, the uncertainty causing financial panic. Can you imagine life without all these exciting cultures and flavours ready for exploration? I don't understand - Why would you rather have dark, gloomy greyness, when you could have a bright and colourful rainbow. All these years being part of something big and homely - then, all of a sudden, you become lonely... We're tied together with a strong bond; financially and culturally.

But on the other hand, the people who voted to leave were thinking: "More British jobs, for British people", "We can finally have sovereignty again!" or "We can rule our very own country without relying on the EU to lend us their rules".

So is Brexit definitely happening? Could Brexit be cancelled? Could Brexit be delayed?

Apparently, the UK is due to leave the EU on 29 March whether there is a deal with the EU or not (says BBC News). However, stopping Brexit would mean a change in the law in the UK, something neither the government nor the main UK opposition parties aren't particuarly fond of at this point. There is a possibility that Brexit could actually be delayed. The EU might agree to extend Article 50 if its leaders thought it would help smooth the process or if there was a chance the UK could end up staying in, possibly through another referendum, but it would only be by a few months if anything.

There is also something called the "Transition Period".

It refers to a period of time after 29 March, 2019, to 31 December, 2020 (or possibly later), to get everything prepared and ready and allow businesses and others to prepare for the moment when the new post-Brexit rules between the UK and the EU begin, as this will - I think - most probably change their career and life. This transition period, however, is at the momentonly due to happen if the UK and the EU agree a Brexit deal.

Many MPs are against the idea of Brexit as they fear it could leave Britain tied to the EU so strong that Britain simply wouldn't survive independently without these advantages and support that they had in the community they are now leaving.

What will strike me most is if the racist remarks and behaviour increases after Brexit finalises. Some may deny this, but in most suburbs of counties or cities, this effects the people that came many years ago and call this place home, whose second generation (like myself) shall be brought up here. For many, this is their home - they don't see themselves as foreigners.

I suppose we will have to wait and see...

Comments (22)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!