Should all major decisions go to a public referendum?

Politicians and Power - Featured Image 1

I have quite mixed views on this, but I mainly believe that most major decisions should go to a public referendum – especially if they involve things that could affect our future. Politicians hold a lot of power already, and if we give them any more, some may use it for granted.

However, sometimes a referendum can be incredibly close, say if there was a vote for which biscuit should be banned; 51% could say bourbons, and the remaining 49% could say custard creams, therefore resulting in over 30,000,000 very sad and angry people.

Overall, the public should have a say in what happens to our country, but the government should get some power over us, as they are voted in, and should therefore have some responsibility.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!