Burnet News Club Awards Ceremony 2018

26 June 2018
Awards-heading-2.jpg

On July 26th, we held our fifth annual Burnet News Club Awards Ceremony at The Queen’s Gallery, Buckingham Palace.

The ceremony celebrated another year of the club and recognised outstanding students from participating schools. Awards were presented to ten outstanding students, an outstanding teacher and an overall winning school.

Tom Standage, the deputy editor of The Economist, spoke at the event about the importance of developing news literacy before awarding ten pupils from schools across the country with certificates, and Sir Evelyn de Rothschild, a key supporter of the BNC, awarded the overall 2018 Burnet News Club Award.

It’s incredible to have the opportunity to come to such an historic building in the United Kingdom. I am just honoured to even step foot in the building and it has just been amazing the whole year and I’d like to thank everyone. I feel amazing – really excited for the award.

Logan, aged 10

A few of the young people had a chance to share some of the work they had created during the year. These included a letter to a local MP outlining options to deal with the social housing crisis in the community, a poem about veganism and a thoughtful piece on the use of the word fireman vs. firefighter.

We’d like to thank the Queen’s Gallery for offering such a fantastic location to host the event.

AWARD WINNERS

Awards_winning-school.jpg

BURNET NEWS CLUB AWARD

MICHAEL FARADAY SCHOOL
The Burnet News Club award goes to the club that brought the most valuable contributions to the Hub over the year. This year's winner was Michael Faraday School in London, who have been part of the BNC for two years. Schools Relationship Manager Olivia Platman said: “Throughout the year Michael Faraday have been regularly entering competitions, making thoughtful posts and engaging with the experts, other young people and us.”

Awards_winning-teacher.jpg

OUTSTANDING TEACHER AWARD

DIANE ROUGVIE-FEVRIER
Diane Rougvie-Fevrier from St Gregory’s Primary School won the award for the teacher who had shown outstanding commitment to running and developing their club, and whose club made exceptional progress over the year.

Awards_winning-students.jpg

OUTSTANDING STUDENTS

Each year we award ten pupils from schools across the country with certificates to recognise their outstanding contributions to the Burnet News Club online hub.

I was really excited. My teacher told me at the beginning of the year that if we did really good work we would get to go to Buckingham Palace and at first I thought ‘yeah yeah’ but when the invitation came through in the post I was staring at it. I didn’t believe it. It was really incredible. I’m really proud that I am here.

Jessica, aged 10

AWARDS SHORTLIST

2017/18 Shortlisted Schools:

• Arnhem Wharf Primary School
  • Boutcher C.E. Primary School
  • Colgrave Primary School
  • Michael Faraday School - WINNER
  • Faringdon Community College, Graveney School
  • St. Gregory’s Catholic Primary School
  • St Peter’s Primary School
  • St Saviour’s and St Olave’s School
  • Streatham Wells Primary School