How diverse are we? How much representation is there really?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Black-Panther---Image-3

Diversity and representation should be shown more in the world as mainly you would only see white people in movies and if there's a black person, they are only shown for maybe one scene. Luckily diversity is getting better as there is now more diversity in children's books showing more asian and black characters. This shows that the world is trying to make representation better, yet I would love to see my heritage in more books and movies. There is still a lot to do.

Author, Konnie Huq, said, “It's so important for readers to see themselves and important aspects of the real world we live in represented in the books they read.”

However, Louis Johns-shepherd who is the boss of CLPE said, “We are delighted to see the upward trend in numbers, we are determined that it won't be a ‘trend’ that disappears or that dips.” Yet an increase of 8% in main characters in children’s books from ethnic minorities in the last 5 years (from 1%-9%) isn’t enough.

Another person who feels diversity is important is Stormzy. HE said, "I encourage everyone in the room today to not just use diversity as a buzzword," he said in his speech, "Whatever position you're in... let that be a driving factor, and not just see it as a quota or a box to tick."

I feel that we need to also show more albino or vitiligo people as I don’t see anyone like this in books, movies, films and more. This is sad as a child with vitiligo or albinism would feel they are not represented as they would see no one who looks like them. The only time I have seen an albino representative was in one movie where the albino was called a monster, this is not good enough!

Although the representation isn't that good, I've seen movies like Encanto and more that show wonderful representation and diversity. According to the latest figures from UK music, 22% of people working in the music industry are from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds; while women hold 49.6% of industry roles. Some people are taking steps to help. Stormzy's Merky Foundation has pledged £10 million over 10 years to organisations and charities committed to fighting for racial equality, justice reform and black empowerment within the UK.

Now in the UK they have now just got their first asian prime minister but people are saying it was no progressing victory due Boris breaking his own rules in covid and Liz Truss being a bad prime minister. Steps are being taken, but there is still a long, long way to go.