When will we see full representation in the media?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Black-Panther---Image-9

Diversity in the world will show everyone's differences in the world. No one should be ashamed of who they are and everyone should believe in themselves. I picked diversity and representation as my standpoint as there should be more equality in the world. I feel diversity is important as it is not shown in the media and it should be, I will speak up - we all need to speak up.

There has been some progress but not enough. Black Panther, which was released on the 11th of November 2022, is the new most popular film currently. Film makers, such as Disney, created Encanto and based the main character on a girl who wrote a letter as she felt she wasn’t represented in movies. She said there weren't any disney heroes from South America with glasses so they made it happen.

I want people to know how diversity works and support it. There are many news articles on the topic but the one that really stood out to me was posted on the 14th November 2022, by Newsround, about children’s books. It stated, ‘This year the report showed the number of children's books published with a black, asian or mixed race character increased from 4% in 2017 to 20% in 2021.’There has been some progress, but not enough.

I believe those in the media can use more diversity and representation. This world needs more diversity so we can all do something to help that. Will you try to help?

We should not be ashamed of who we really are and feel represented in our own ways. I will speak up and share my words with the world so they know about representation and diversity, you should too.