King Charles’ Coronation

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

For my standpoint I have chosen to talk about King Charles' coronation, and how royals fit into the 21st century, or if they do at all.

Firstly I'm going to talk about the recent coronation of King Charles III in the UK. Some people in England are of the opinion that the monarchy should have stopped after the death of Queen Elizabeth, because it is an outdated system and it doesn't benefit their country. I personally agree with this opinion. I may be biased, because as an Irish person, the royals only remind me of how Englan took over Ireland centuries ago, causing endless conflict between the two countries that has continued to today.

One of my issues with the royal family is that they have no ruling powers over England, but they have so much unnecessary wealth. In the case of the coronation of King Charles that took place recently, the day was an over the top display of wealth, costing £100 million pounds, which came from public taxes. This is wrong for so many reasons. One of these reasons is that many people in the UK are struggling financially, and having to make impossible choices such as either feeding their family or heating their homes. Having the royals take money from these people is unacceptable, when that money could have helped so many people, people that the royals "care" about. The royals have so much already, and taking from people who are already struggling with money to fund one day is disgraceful.

Another on of my opinions about the royals is that they represent nepotism. Lots of people complain about how children of celebrities are given opportunities without having to work as hard for them as you or me might have to. This is the exact same. Going back to the royal family, King Charles inherited £1.8 billion pounds from his mother, Queen Elizabeth, without having to do a day's work for it, Queen Elizabeth inherited a ridiculous amount of money from her parents without having to work for it, and the cycle continues along the royal family tree.

For these reasons and many others, I oppose the monarch, and I hope this standpoint has convinced you to share my opinions.