Metaverse

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

The metaverse is a virtual reality space in which users can interact with a computer generated environment and other users. The metaverse is used for shopping, working and playing. I will be telling you about its pros and cons of the metaverse becoming more popular with time. Some of the pros of the metaverse gaining popularity is that it is an easier way to shop from home,working from home and immersing yourself in the metaverse and being able to travel around the world in the comfort of your home. The cons are all derived from the idea that with the rising easy access to the metaverse more of the population more people will become too immersed and lose their sense of self after logging on to another more colourful and interesting world without their real world responsibilities and challenges. Some of these other risks are that if there are a lot of kids that play in the metaverse then they won't understand as easily that their actions have consequences and they won't have the necessary social skills or be as self aware as they should. By the year 2030 it is predicted by professionals on the topic that we will be spending more time in the metaverse than in real life. My opinion on the matter is that the metaverse should not be accessible as it is or there should be rules to access. There should also be an anti troll system and a player reporting system so that you can report bullying and unkind behaviour. I also think that parents of children that go on the metaverse should also have control over access such as time that can be spent in the metaverse and age restrictions.

In conclusion i think that the metaverse can be a helpful tool but if it is used incorrectly by a large enough audience then the consequences will be sever due yo the sheer amount of people that are logged on to the metaverse and the amount of people that don't think that they are doing anything wrong because it is online and that their actions don't have consequences.