strike standpoint

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Striking is a significant issue that affects many people. It involves workers purposefully missing work to protest for better conditions or pay. In my opinion, some people should have the right to strike while others should not. Supporters of striking believe that it can lead to increased pay and improved working conditions for everyone. In this essay, I will discuss the reasons people strike, the impact on various individuals and groups, and both the positive and negative aspects of striking. I will also explore the indirect effects on students and individuals who are ill or have life-threatening injuries.

Due to the diverse impact striking has on people, there are various perspectives on the matter. One group that supports striking is teachers, who feel they are not adequately treated. They go on strike to protest low pay, excessive workload, and other reasons. This can have both positive and negative effects on students and their families.

Positives:

Teachers have an opportunity to rest while advocating for better pay.

Students enjoy a day off with less work.

Families save money on transportation costs and reduce their carbon footprint by not having to drop their children off at school.

Negatives:

Parents of young children may need to pay someone else to take care of their child if they are working since the child is not at school.

Students miss out on valuable learning time.

Teachers do not receive pay during the strike.

However, there are those who do not support striking, such as individuals who are ill, including those with cancer or physical injuries. It affects them because a reduced workforce in ambulances and hospitals puts them at higher risk.

In conclusion, I believe that the effects of striking can be positive or negative depending on who is striking. Personally, I think that strikes generally cause more harm than good. This is particularly true when it comes to strikes in the NHS, as it poses significant risks. When people are on strike, the level of assistance one can receive is reduced. On the other hand, I believe that teachers should have the right to strike because the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Overall, I consider striking to be a selfish act since it puts others at risk simply to pursue slightly higher pay.