Strikes: should they be allowed

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

I believe that people should be paid properly for the work that they do which leads me to want people to be able to strike. Work has been getting difficult for many as they are being paid less and working conditions have been becoming increasingly worse.

So before I go into why people have been striking I should first explain what a strike is. A strike is a refusal to work organized by a body of employees as a form of protest and to strike workers must make sure that they are supported by a valid secret postal ballot, the strike must be carried out with notice. The reason people strike varies between each individual but there are some common factors such as the government refusing to properly fund pay rises for public sector workers,which leads to failing to introduce a proper minimum wage. Many are striking to protect jobs and putting an end to insecure contracts and outsourcing. For example UCU members striking in universities to end dangerously high workloads. The government also plays a part in this, they could avoid rail workers, nurses,teachers and paramedics striking by getting around the negotiating table and offering a decent,fair pay rise.

Despite this people are now gaining the confidence to take action. People are winning better pay deals and working conditions by standing up for themselves. It is important for people to have the right to proper working conditions and pay especially when they work to help and