Protest in Iran: Mahsa Amini

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Since the death of Mahsa Amini, people all around the world have been protesting by cutting their hair and even holding up slogans and banners in their own countries.

But what got them to do this and why?

What happened?

Recently, a 22 year old Iranian woman named Mahsa Amini got arrested by the morality police for not wearing her hijab properly and later died in the hospital in Tehran, Iran, under suspicious circumstances. It was said that she was victimised by the police but we are unsure.

Different opinions and perspectives I believe that this is an injustice for Iranian women and although they are fighting for equality, many are killed and abused.

They do not have the same rights as men and they might be beaten up if they do not follow the Islamic rules. They are burning their headscarves in protest and complaining in large groups. The morality police on the other side, are trying to stop the protesters and beating up women and young girls who do that. However, the protests are getting online and being reported in the news around the world and this will ruin their reputation. The Government is stopping the internet access for people in Iran but thousands of short videos have shown roughly what is happening.

My opinion

This is important for me because unlike the freedom we have in our country (the UK) in Iran it is different. There, sexism often happens and they have to take it seriously. We must also take it seriously.

It is unfair for the women and the girls to be treated this way. You can truly feel the pain they are feeling and I feel like we have to take action. It has been a while since this happened but we shouldn't forget it and leave it behind. People outside of Iran should still speak out so that the leader will have no choice but to change the law.