Let the games begin!

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

WorldCup---Image-3

The controversy happening in Qatar right now is very interesting. It is interesting to see how some countries don't like the fact that a big event like the World Cup is being held in such a small country and with such different views. For example, their human rights laws and treatment of women and people from the LGBTQ community are very different from countries in the West. Despite the controversy, Qatar won the bid and were selected by FIFA to host this year's World Cup so let the games begin!

In my opinion, a lot of people could benefit from the World Cup. For example, investors who put a lot of money into these kind of events. The players also benefit because they can make a lot of money and get the chance to take part in such a historical event, not just the World Cup but, the first World Cup in the Middle East! Normally the host country would benefit too but I feel that this has also been to Qatar's detriment. People are not talking as much about Qatar as a country and instead they are talking about the problems Qatar has such as the poor treatment of migrant workers. They benefited too late because it wasn't until they faced this criticism that they decided to implement a minimum salary. This probably isn't the kind of spotlight that Qatar wanted.

In my opinion, it is a good thing that Qatar was chosen to host the World Cup even with all of the criticism. Firstly, it changed up the atmosphere a little bit by being at a different time of year and in a different climate. Secondly, as mentioned they are the first Middle Eastern country to hold the World Cup. Also, maybe this will be a good chance for Qatar to take a look at the problems in their country and find solutions since all eyes are on them. However, not everyone from Topical Talks agrees with me:

@cooperative_dolphin said they disagree with the controversy in Qatar and that they shouldn't host the event.

@storytelling_cherry: "I do not agree to host the World Cup in Qatar because of Qatar's violation of human rights and that it is not one of the top 10 countries in the world, the temperature of the weather is high and it does not have a global sports facade."

Some fans aren't happy with the fact they can't drink alcohol at the World Cup. I read that Qatar banned selling beer from the stadiums and instead they are selling non-alcoholic drinks because of the religious views of the country. I don't think this is a bad thing because you are there to watch the football, not to drink. Again it changes up the atmosphere and people will think more clearly.

In conclusion, I think this will be the most interesting World Cup ever because of all of the controversy. Qatar has to face their criticism and it will be interesting to see what they do next after the World Cup. I am sure a lot of people will still benefit from this event even with all of the criticism. FIFA's choice was like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I know I'll still be watching!