AI AND ARTS : IS IT A GOOD THING OR A BAD THING

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

In one of the meetings I had , we discussed whether using Artificial Intelligence for arts is a positive or negative thing . For example; The winner of a major photography award refused to collect it after revealing his work was created using AI( is it justified) . This depends on perspectives, opinions and point of views. Art is the expression or application of human creative skill,imagination, emotions and ideas through physical medium such as painting, sculpture,photography and others. So, it is justified what he did because Artificial Intelligence shouldn't t be replacing man's natural gift in our lives . Art comes from the heart and it's a talent, so anything that is trying to change that isn't the true meaning of art. Two people can paint the same thing with a different story behind it and two people can look at the same painting and have different views about the painting. In art, a picture can tell many stories. Artificial Intelligence was developed to help us in all aspects of life but can we really say that its helping us in arts? You can tell an AI what you want to paint but it will be never the same thing as you painting it ,even if is programmed to analyze your previous paintings and paint one similar to your style. Thomas Merton said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time”. If we destroy the true meaning of art what then will be left of us in our conceptual ideas . I believe that as much as AI was developed to help us , It should be done by you and I . No machine or technology will ever be able to get the true story behind it . Humans are not perfect and we accept it and that what art tells us . Humans trying to do their best and thinking outside the box with making a difference in life is worth everything. Anything outside that isn't original so I can say using AI for arts is a bad thing.