How I Feel About The Immigration Policies

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Have you ever wondered how immigration was back then? Have you ever wondered how divisive people were about the immigration policies back then? I have, and this is how I feel about this specific topic that I chose.

~Divise Laws About Immigrants Back Then~

In 1875, an Immigration Law was set to prevent different races from coming to America. In 1882 the law further restricted more people that are convicts or was one, idiots, lunatics, or anyone who couldn't take proper care of themselves. I feel like this would be very divisive today if people know more about it simply because it just wouldn't be fair, especially to immigrants today. Through 1880-1930, new and more immigration laws were made so, this time period was known as the Immigration Period because more than 27 million immigrants arrived in America. The new laws that were made helped a lot of immigrants come to America.

~Discrimination Laws During This Time Period~

Many different races such as Indians, Chinese, Latins, Mexicans, and etc were all immigrating in the US. It wasn't easy to immigrate to America though because of all the laws that were made when all races were attempting to immigrate to the US brung problems for those races. For example there was many races trying to immigrate when the new laws were made, so races such as the Chinese faced many waves of discrimination. The Chinese Act was made in the Spring of 1882 which was during immigration time, and was made by white racists which prohibited the Chinese Immigrants from coming to America. This is not a good thing and is a very divisive topic to talk about simply because it's unfair and because of discrimination. This topic could have a lot of effects such as protests because people are being treated unfairly just because of how they look or because of their race.

~The Laws Were Sometimes Helpful To Immigrants~

Many of the immigration laws were bad and unhelpful, however they were sometimes helpful and beneficial. The Immigration Reform and Control Act (ICRA) ended illegal immigration and I feel like thats a good thing because you can go to jail for that and it's for your safety. This act is also great because it provides, legal status and an increase in boarder enforcement, this act was also helpful to 2.7 million individuals. The immigration act helped ease entry for highly skilled immigrants by raising legal caps, making a system for employment type of immigration, modifying categories for short-term visas, and more. This section could be divisive but I don't think it would be because this act was beneficial to immigrants.

~ In The End ~

To conclude, immigration laws and policies aren't the same since the 1800s. The immigrant laws are more safe, accurate to the year now, and they aren't so unrealistic. As from 2021, president Joe Biden administrated which helped hundreds or thousands of immigrants be eligible for TPS which means deporting someone to their country of origin which poses a threat to that person's security. This helps immigrants not be held back by DHS on the basis of his or her immigration ranking in the United States.

Information from: https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/immigration-shaped-united-states-history