Weekly Competition #37

21 June 2019
Saudi.JPG

WINNERS ANNOUNCED:
fiery_wolf and plucky_yuzu

It was a very tricky challenge this week, so well done to everyone who had a go and entered. We chose fiery_wolf's entry because they thought about the consquences of Saudi Arabia's carbon emissions. They also linked this to lives beyond the poster and thought about what everybody can do to reduce pollution. Plucky_yuzu impressed us because they explained their thought process, whilst also thinking about the consequences emissions too. Well done!

WEEKLY COMPETITION #37:

This week we want you to use your curiosity skill. You will have seen this graph during a session and we want you to dig deeper into the information. What else can you learn from it? What else might we need to know to understand the full picture?

You might like to take one piece of information or one point on the graph and ask yourself one of these questions:

• What does this mean?
  • What are the causes?
  • What might the consequences be?
  • What else do we need to know?

Or, you might like to find out something else about this country's carbon emissions.

Some further research might be needed.

Good luck! Winners will be announced on Friday.

Comments (39)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Desertification, Water Pollution, and Air pollution are the most hazardous environmental issues in Saudi Arabia As a result, air pollution in Saudi Arabia also affects desertification because of increasing temperature. Also, greenhouse from urban cities is causing air pollution as well.

• This graph shows that Saudi Arabia is the eighth worst carbon emitter in the world accompanied by China , Bangladesh , Europe etc.This graph also shows the carbon emissions up to 2010 ; in that year it is estimated that 18.91 metric tons of CO2 were emitted. The consequences of these carbon emissions are many health problems around Saudi Arabia and near by countries such as asthma or even cancer. Also , in 1974 gas flaring accounted for 76% of Saudi Arabia's fossil fuel emissions.

• Desertification, Water Pollution, and Air pollution are the most hazardous environmental issues in Saudi Arabia As a result, air pollution in Saudi Arabia also affects desertification because of increasing temperature. Also, greenhouse from urban cities is causing air pollution as well.

This graph shows that Saudi Arabia is the eighth worst carbon emitter in the world accompanied by China , Bangladesh , Europe etc.This graph also shows the carbon emissions up to 2010 ; in that year it is estimated that 18.91 metric tons of CO2 were emitted. The consequences of these carbon emissions are many health problems around Saudi Arabia and near by countries such as asthma or even cancer. Also , in 1974 gas flaring accounted for 76% of Saudi Arabia's fossil fuel emissions.

• It says that Saudi Arabia relies on selling oil to other countries and that the biggest oil company made more than $100 billion last year. What I want to know is that don't they care about global warming ? Or are they at least trying to find renewable energy that could benefit the country . After reading the first paragraph in Key Info in my opinion I think they just want to get money to benefit the country and to use for themselves, this isn't wrong and I totally agree with them using the money for the country and to benefit the economy but in my opinion I think they should have at least used some of the money to improve their oil company so that some how they can emit less green house gases. This is because if they don't find a way to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide they emit in a year they will be rising on the list of countries who release the most carbon in a year, right now they are at number 8 if they get in the top 3 that could negatively impact their environment which is bad for the exotic animals that live there, which is bad for the economy because they won't get money from the tourist which is bad for the people who live there socially because, it means they won't get paid good wages which means they won't be able to provide food for their families. Also, teachers won't get paid enough to teach.

• I believe that (inferring that Saudi Arabia is the eighth-worst emitter in the world and that its country is the country that made more than $100 billion -£79.443 billion- last year by their oil production) if Saudi Arabia is in this state, then this means that we are causing (with fossil fuels) more greenhouse gases and is causing even more Climate Change and Global Warming. This also means that Europe, China, the USA and other countries with a rich economy and massive manufacturing businesses will continue creating greenhouse gases; Saudi Arabia itself has no ultra-emission zone, as it does in London, so there will be massive diesel vehicles releasing greenhouse gases and causing the world to end even more quickly.

The graph represents how much tonnes of carbon dioxide have been emitted by Saudi Arabia, Europe and China each year from 1960-2017. Observing this, Saudi Arabia has increasingly produced more carbon dioxide over the years (up to about 1,000). Nevertheless, the speed of producing carbon dioxide by China is far greater than Saudi Arabia (from 1,000 to 10,000). Europe has been increasing producing carbon dioxide from 1960-1990 (from about 3,500 to about 8,000) and reduce producing carbon dioxide from 1990-2017 (from about 8,000 to about 5,500) but that reduction of producing carbons dioxides is far higher than Saudi Arabia each year. This is because they purchase all of Saudi Arabia’s oil and then burn it in their own country to create more carbon dioxide. They have also increased over the years and overall, it shows that these individual countries have increased their amount of exposed carbon dioxide, which is toxic for the Earth.

The causes for Saudi Arabia emitting lots of greenhouse gases and being one of the world’s top oil producer is that under the country’s ground, it has oil. Oil has been used for an extremely long time to power cars, factories, aeroplanes, ships and many more things. Since oil has many uses, it is also known as what people call ‘black gold’ and the oil can be sold for billions and billions of pounds to other countries (which makes their economy rise to the top). Saudi Arabia make lots of money just by selling oil and that is what is making them sell oil. The cause for making greenhouse gases is that people want to sell oil and make a profit and they want to stop alternative, inexpensive methods, otherwise, they will not earn lots of money like they had used to do. Since the do not want alternative methods of energy, they do not have it in their country and that is why the only source of energy is oil, which is also the reason why they are emitting so much toxic fumes.

The consequences that should happen is that firstly, we should introduce alternative and inexpensive methods of creating energy to them such as: wind power, water power, solar power and also nuclear power (which needs lots more testing and experiments to use it without harming nature and the humans) so that their country alone can stop emitting many greenhouse gases. Now that they have inexpensive and environmentally friendly ways of creating energy, they will stop their oil production and we can make a massive change and impact to global warming together.

Another important point that I have to talk about is that Saudi Arabia is also selling oil, as well as emitting it too. Even though Saudi Arabia is producing many fossil fuels, that country is not necessarily burning fossil fuels but they are selling these to other countries and those countries who buy fossil fuels use it heavily, making that country have a high carbon emission. This means that other countries can get oil as well and spread the noxious gas everywhere, not only in one place. Saudi Arabia’s oil producing is the thing that has mainly contributed to countries like the USA and the UK to emit even more and since they are selling it, everyone can buy it and burn it. Then all of the greenhouse gases will be produced more and be released everywhere. Therefore, we cannot say that the country that is producing fossil fuels have a higher carbon footprint. If we consider this idea, the countries who are buying fossil fuels must use alternative methods without using fossil fuels so that these countries do not have to buy fossil fuels from anybody. In that case, the countries producing fossil fuels do not have a market to sell but to follow other countries to use alternative methods to reduce greenhouse gases.

• What does this mean ?

What are the causes?

• Saudi Arabia ranks 14th among the nations on 2008 fossil-fuel carbon emissions with a whopping 118 million metric tons of carbon! Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest oil producer. Even though Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest exporter of oil, consumption of petroleum products represents the bulk of Saudi Arabia’s fossil-fuel CO2 emissions (64.2% in 2008). The use of natural gas had become increasingly vital since the mid 1980s and it now accounts for 32.1% of total fossil-fuel CO2 emissions. A feature of the time series for the country is the emissions resulting from flaring gas in the oil fields. In 1974, gas flaring accounted for 76% of Saudi Arabia's fossil-fuel emissions. As new technologies were incorporated into the oil fields and it became possible to refine or reinject these gases, carbon emissions from gas flaring fell sharply and recently account for way less than 1% of total emissions. Per capita emissions have grown ten-fold since 1950; at 4.69 metric tons of carbon per person, they are well above the global average!

I tried my best to write it in my own words. Here is the website I used:
    https://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/trends/emis/tre_sau.html

• Saudi Arabia are the eighth worst carbon emitter in the world. This means that they are producing the eighth most carbon emissions in the world. The cause of this is that oil companies are essential to the Saudi Arabian economy. For example, Saudi Arabia is home to the world's largest oil company- Saudi Aramco. It is owned by the government , which means that the money earned goes to the government to pay for certain things. It has a revenue of $465 billion a year so it could pay for essential items in the country. This could be a cause of why the country is the eighth worst emission. A consequence of increasing carbon emissions is extreme weather. Wildfire, drought and tropical storms, these are all deadly and dreadful results of carbon emissions. Not only will these become more frequent, these awful weather phenomenon will be more powerful. This poster should tell us who else are in the top eight for worst carbon emissions. This is because, if we don't know who else is in the top eight, then we cannot make a decision on how bad the emissions actually are. Also, we need to know whether they are doing anything to prevent climate change. I have actually done some research into this. Although Saudi Arabia signed the Paris agreement, they have been ranked as the worst-performing country battling climate change. Finally, it would be helpful to know approximately how many tonnes of carbon dioxide a person emits from another country instead of saying it is a lot more than most people.
    Information found at : https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/biggest-oil-companies-in-the-world.html
    https://sciencing.com/consequences-of-carbon-emissions-for-humans-12730960.html
    https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/saudi-arabia-worst-performing-country-battling-climate-change

• pollution is bad but climate change is worse. life on earth is polluted. how can we stop it before it is to late?

• the consequence could be that we would have no fish or sharks or clean water further more no electronics or electricity

• In saudi arabia does it have to much polotion or has somebody made it up

• In Saudi Arabia we should stop pollution because it causes more effect on our planet. we should stop this .

• I think that Saudi Arabia should use less emissions and help the planet and so should every other countries.China should definitely use less emissions to bring back carbon dioxide.

• Saudi Arabia - the worlds largest oil producer - has now been expected that they will double up their greenhouse gas emissions when it hits 2030, compared from 2014 levels. Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil producer, is expected to double its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 compared to 2014 levels. With its annual emissions growth rate of 0.6 % and their very slow actions to diversify the economy away from oil – even with its current proposed commitment to decrease their annual emissions by 130 million tons of CO2 equivalent a year by 2030 – if every country was to follow Saudi Arabia’s approach, climate change would achieve 4 degrees Celsius, warns Climate Action Tracker. This means Saudi Arabia’s proposed annual CO2 emissions reduction is still very far from its fair share to limit climate change to below 2 degrees Celsius.

• 635 million tons of carbon emissions is a lot. But if 635 million is shown as one of the lowest in the graph, what is that compared to one of the higher countries in the graph?

• This means that the oil in the biggest company in Saudi Arabia will be handed out to the other countries in Saudi Arabia. ☝️But the consequences will be that there will be more gas ⛽️ fossil fuels which will make the atmosphere more polluted like some people say climate is changing so why can’t we change the way we treat our atmosphere in other words climate has changed why can’t we.🧐🧐🧐Hmm maybe lets think

• I think saudi arabia should be embarassed of this. The fact that each person emits 19 tonnes of carbon is incrediby surprising. how could someone emit so much?

• Saudi Arabia ranks 14th among the nations on 2008 fossil-fuel carbon emissions with a whopping 118 million metric tons of carbon! Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest oil producer. Even though Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest exporter of oil, consumption of petroleum products represents the bulk of Saudi Arabia’s fossil-fuel CO2 emissions. The use of natural gas had become increasingly vital since the mid 1980s and it now accounts for 32% of total fossil-fuel CO2 emissions. A feature of the time series for the country is the emissions resulting from flaring gas in the oil fields. In 1974, gas flaring accounted for 76% of Saudi Arabia's fossil-fuel emissions. As new technologies were incorporated into the oil fields and it became possible to refine or reinject these gases, carbon emissions from gas flaring fell sharply and recently account for way less than 1% of total emissions. Per capital emissions have grown ten-fold since 1950; at 4.69 metric tons of carbon per person, they are well above the global average!

• It says that Saudi Arabia relies on selling oil to other countries and that the biggest oil company made more than $100 billion last year. What I want to know is that don't they care about global warming ? Or are they at least trying to find renewable energy that could benefit the country . After reading the first paragraph in Key Info in my opinion I think they just want to get money to benefit the country and to use for themselves, this isn't wrong and I totally agree with them using the money for the country and to benefit the economy but in my opinion I think they should have at least used some of the money to improve their oil company so that some how they can emit less green house gases. This is because if they don't find a way to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide they emit in a year they will be rising on the list of countries who release the most carbon in a year, right now they are at number 8 if they get in the top 3 that could negatively impact their environment which is bad for the exotic animals that live there, which is bad for the economy because they won't get money from the tourist which is bad for the people who live there socially because, it means they won't get paid good wages which means they won't be able to provide food for their families. Also, teachers won't get paid enough to teach.

• I learnt that in south Arabia we must stop pollution because there is a lot of people and some people are kilt by pollution, so if there is a lot of pollution we could end up with a lot of the population

• I clearly think that the biggest problem with all of the Middle East is the lack of knowledge that the people have about climate change, and this is affecting all of the world´s population. This can change if we help them notice that they are part of the problem, and the solution to the climate change

1. Do you have evidence of this lack of knowledge? Have we been able to help those in our own nations 'notice that they are part of the problem' effectively?

• I think that us as a whole should be embarrassed and take a good look at ourselves and try to stop the problem of climate change. Saudi Arabia and China now should stop since they are the are the biggest CO2 emitters and could make all the difference in our war against the largest threat we have ever faced as a whole climate change. Also when China have used plastic who is to say that they won't dump it in the ocean because they are right next to it.The same goes for Saudi Arabia.

• The graph shows how bad Saudi Arabia's carbon emissions are and how bad they are and it is also about how bad china's carbon emissions are. I think that saudi arabia should do more to stop this because if this continues then it could become so bad that it affects the whole world and other countries too. If we do something about it then everyone could help out and learn how to stop this for other countries that are twice as worse than Saudi Arabia.

• The graph shows that China has emitted the most carbon dioxide. There are two specific pieces of evidence that backs this up. In my knowledge i already know that half of the UK's tradings come from China such as, resources and food. In result of this is, China has more technology than Britain and America as they have already invented "automatic suitcases". This proves that the results on the graph are correct. Saudi Arabia are the eighth worst emitted country as they have a few technology. I doubt the facts and knowledge that the graph is displaying as emitting carbon dioxide is not a good thing. So in my opinion, i think that Saudi Arabia are not as bad as China as they have emitted over 100 million.

• Throughout 1960 in China carbon dioxide emissions were at an all time low however moving forward 2000 carbon dioxide emission fluctuates however is gradually increasingly worser and worser. This graph may suggest that even though we don't think of climate change a visual change may be key to changing are future.

• Saudi Arabia relies on selling oil to other countries and that the biggest oil company made more than $100 billion in the last year, we must stop pollution because there is a lot of people and some people are killed. If Saudi Arabia find a way to use renewable energy this could benefit the country greatly. It also ranks 14th among the nations on 2008 fossil-fuel carbon emissions with a whopping 118 million metric tons of carbon, which in my opinion is disgusting!

• saudi arabia is a very good example of what it is like to keep the pollution and deforestation very low. if we dont stop right now our children grand children and infinity to come will have a devastating life would you really like to have a life which you can't live. saudi arabia is trying to keep the climate change low contrasting this to china . china has rose dramatically in the past decade. this is killing your future children do you want to see your grandchildren grand childrens suffer... NO so i suggest that we should change right now its not right to keep this going any longer. the government needs to realize what's happening around the world and us they members of parliament do not realize what is going to happen so they can stop being greedy about money and they can start to invest that money in maybe some thing like renewable energy. this needs to stop now and we need to change the future quickly stop think and realize what is happening right now on this earth .

• If Saudi Arabia keeps on producing emissions at this scale the sea levels around it will rise significantly causing more floods and natural disasters meaning that Saudi Arabia can be submerged fully in many years to come .

• Interestingly, as Europe began to cut their emissions China's began to increase. Reducing our emissions needs to be done across the globe and if our energy is just being supplied from another country is just not good enough.

• Saudi Arabia ranks 14th among nations based on 2008 fossil-fuel CO2 emissions with 118 million metric tons of carbon. Saudi Arabia is the world's largest oil producer. Even though Saudi Arabia is the world's largest exporter of oil, not surprisingly consumption of petroleum products represents the bulk of the countries' fossil-fuel CO2 emissions (64.2% in 2008). Use of natural gas has become increasingly important since the mid 1980s and now accounts for 32.1% of total fossil-fuel CO2 emissions. A striking feature of the time series for Saudi Arabia is the emissions resulting from flaring gas in the oil fields. In 1974, gas flaring accounted for 76% of Saudi Arabia's fossil-fuel emissions. As new technologies were incorporated into the oil fields and it became possible to refine or re-inject these gases, CO2 emissions from gas flaring fell sharply and more recently account for less than 1% of total emissions. Per capital emissions have grown ten-fold since 1950; at 4.69 metric tons of carbon per person, they are well above the global average.
    Plus in Saudi Arabia dust plays a primary role in causing air pollution in a country of more then 90% desert.
    Achieving acceptable level of pollutant concentration that result from fuel combustion by different sectors, i.e transportation, power generation, desalination of seawater and industrial factories, requires the control of pollution.

• In Saudi Arabia it is now known as the eighth worst commiter in the world now. In the text it said the they have relied to selling oil to there countries. I know that makes money but oil gets in the sea making fish to die. Do they even now what they are doing? Global Warming is happening. But if they argue back, how will they make money? . There biggest company made $100 last year. How many will that be if it grows on. Surely they can see something more treated well to the world. I know some countries might get mad but we need to keep our environment safe. We could die in the next 12-13 years because of pollution. Shorter than expected.

• Saudi Arabia is a very, very rich country so people have private jets and would have their own cars which would mean more pollution is created sent into the air, however in poorer countries people would only afford bikes and maybe even motorcycles. This means of course their will be a lot of carbon emissions and waste in Saudi Arabia and other rich countries. They can stop this by sharing cars and not using their planes and jets, they could also use electric vehicles and not use them more often. They way they get money is by selling lots of oil.

• In my opinion if Saudi Arabia keep on producing pollution it Will just help global warming and climate change, they NEED to make a change quickly or we will be in loads of trouble. I believe each and every one person from Saudi Arabia should cut down on how much carbon dioxide they produce. On the other hand the Saudi arabian government should thin about the Earth and not tip oil into the sea, this results to fish, birds,mammals and every 1 million species of life in the sea being endangered because of this rubbish.Im not saying Saudi Arabia cause every bit of pollution, they just need to change their ways as well as all the pollution emitting countries such as India and china.

• The concequences will be that this will contaminate a lot therfore will increase global warming which has MANY roots. temperatures will rise a lot and so will sea levels. Green house gases will increse too. This will eventualy kill the earth.

• This means they are telling people to not polute but what they are realy doing is making a image because what they realy do is sell oil and lie to people

• A consequence would be that there wouldn´t be more fish and the water wouldn´t be very clean.

• this means its not in their interest to show their graphs because they want sale more .

• the concequence is that there will be no sharks and fish and no electrons so no electricity!!!

• If carbon emmisions carry on as they are or get even worse, the earth will be in a cricis!!
    If Saudi Arabias economy relies on selling oil to other countries then soon there will be no space to leave the exces oil. Oil goes into cooking and plastics. But after yor done cooking the exces goes into your kitchen sink and some ends up in the ocean. From this we can infer that wildlife will be severely endangered and before this earth knows it the beauty of wildlife will be gone all from selling oil to other countries. Although I am not only saying that Saudi Arabia is just to blame for the disturbance that we have caused of this beautiful planet that we live on. We are all to blame for the mess we have made and we need to act now.