AI: The Good, The Bad and the impacts

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

In the 1950s, came the birth of AI. Since then, it has developed quite quickly for the future. It has its advantages, but also its disadvantages. Some people think that AI is brilliant for the future and will help the world be an environmentally friendly place. However, some say that AI will harm the world's economy if anything tech-related goes wrong. From this standpoint, I will compare the good, the bad and the opinions of AI as they show.

What Is AI?

AI is a type of enhanced technology which enables computers to imitate human abilities automatically such as problem solving, storing data and more. Sometimes, it might need the help of a programmer to learn from its mistakes and help the system improve.

Why has AI become trending in the news?

Recently, AI has been one of the hottest global news discussions in the world. It is thanks to the increased data volumes, advanced algorithms and computing power and storage. Other possible reasons why AI is trending in the news is because of popular apps like Open AI, Google Assistant, Siri, Cortana and many more. I think they're really useful apps. Yet, with many tasks to do, it could load quite slowly.

What are people's thoughts and opinions of AI?

Many people have different thoughts from others so I am going to pick a couple of opinions from the Topical Talk discussions and a couple from celebrities. Clever_Peach from St Cenydd Community School talked about AI in healthcare. She states, "In the future, AI may have a huge impact on healthcare! We may see advancements in robotic surgery and maybe even drug discovery. The possibilities are exciting because AI has the potential to revolutionise health care!" On the other hand, bustling_cliff from Arthur School, Ghana disagrees with the statement. He/She says, "However, I don't think AI can help in surgeries because if they have been programmed to do a surgery on only one part of the body and there is another problem, how will they be informed? If a human doctor was doing the surgery, the doctor would detect the issue and tell the family members so that they could think of having surgery on that issue." Onto famous people, Elon Musk warns about the safety of AI in his quote. He says, “If you’re not concerned about AI safety, you should be. Vastly more risk than North Korea.” Although, Ray Kurzweil (An American Computer Scientist) has an advantage for AI. He stated, “Artificial intelligence will reach human levels by around 2029. Follow that out further to, say, 2045, we will have multiplied the intelligence, the human biological machine intelligence of our civilization a billion-fold.”

Conclusion/ My thoughts

Reading all those standpoints, I think it would be a really good idea to continue AI as it will revolutionise the world's e-business economy. However, I am also concerned about the safety of AI and if anything goes wrong, it could have a huge impact on the world and maybe destroy the world's economy. However, that is what I want to say about AI. What about you?