Is AI useful?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

AI as it is now, is simply just an engine that connects to data servers to gain and learn what it should do. It uses people (like you) to learn things like creating essays and can even create things at a high level but as of now it is possible to detect what is written by people and what is written by a robot. However, soon this may not be the case and because of that governments around the world need to create AI that can detect AI. In the future AI could plague celebrities with just the fact deepfakes exist and it could also be used to excuse actions stating that AI created it. In my opinion AI should be allowed as a source to help, not create essays for students. However, AI could be used to provide many jobs to do with programming (like creating AI) as this would be necessary for a more digital world. Unfortunately, people that work in industries like office work could lose their jobs to an AI. People could also lose their construction jobs to AI. AI with no regulations is a major threat to society. If AI gains control of itself, it could mean doom to humanity deeming them a threat to the planet and thus we get wiped out. This is a theme many stories and movies use in apocalyptic scenarios. Overall, I do believe that AI is a major threat to humanity but could also be its greatest computational asset in case of future galactic wars and even just helping to teach students when they can’t understand what a teacher is saying to them. But if there is no regulation to AI it could cause the end as I had stated earlier. People's beliefs differ about AI but overall, they are more negative than positive with movies like terminator and I-robot playing in cinemas some believe the future could be scary some believe that it would never happen and there is nothing to worry about. Sadly, today there are more critical issues like wars, but AI could create wars as well. Thank you for reading my statement and opinons on AI in the future

Comments (1)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Hi fulfilled_power, your comments/statements are actually great and shows you've done research and given some thoughts. I have a few questions to help you think a bit deeper about AI.
    1. Why do people will lose construction job because of AI? Is that because AI can be an architect or a builder?
    2. One thing about faking celebrities, I thought there might not be celebrates anymore as a AI created people can get famous and fans, hence will the differences between an ordinary person and a celebrity be narrower or blurrier?
    3. Well done for mentioning and discussing the need for regulations for AI, is it possible that when authorities/governance create the regulation by using AI's help, is it human's regulation or AI's regulation?
    4. About your thought around 'If AI gains control of itself', actually AI nowadays is able to control itself (it is just not published). Open AI has a module (i remember it is called auto-ai? not 100% sure) suggest to research a bit more, if you give the module a goal (say I want to buy a property, and my budget is XXX), the module is able then go online, creating an account, google Rightmove, and find the property deemed suitable and reach out to agency or owner online making conversations with real people, etc. just to buy a property. So this module is able to do anything to achieve the goal given.

Anyway, good job for your post!