Prisons around the world

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images-Prisons4

I think that prisons are an issue for many countries across the globe and something needs to be done about it. I believe that prisons are not working well and that it needs to change. In this piece of writing, I will present the positives and negatives about prisons and why.

Firstly, in Ecuador, gangs are taking advantage of the state’s weak control to expand their power. Ecuador's murder rate quadrupled between 2018 and 2022. Prisons in Ecuador are not working at all. Secondly, females in prison have gone up by 33%, there are 11.5 million people in prison to this day and prisoners are not able to vote while inside of prison. Prisons are also very overfull which is a huge negative, if they are too overfull then some people might not be able to be taken in.

One positive thing about prison is that it puts the people who do illegal things away and that there will be less chance that there is going to be more crimes going on around the world. That is good because there wouldn’t be as many criminals on the loose. My next positive is that prison protects people of the public from being robbed, kidnapped, murdered and many more. Although it may still happen, it is less likely for you to have a criminal do something bad to you or someone else.

In conclusion, I am extremely concerned about prisons and the future of them. I believe that all prisoners should have a 50 year sentence or maybe more depending on what they have done. If this rule is put in place then there will be much less crime going on around the world. It will be much safer and more secure in the world if that rule was put in place in every country. That is all from me, bye!