Measurements of "Fair"

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

People talk about fairness as if it's something to be measured. Topical Talks is opinionated, and it'll stay that way. I feel it's not possible to fully win an argument until everyone agrees. And "fairness" is not a measurement. So how can something be fair? They get equality? But what if one person worked harder for something? Do they deserve more than the others, because some people think a leader is only as good as their followers. The person in power decides the distribution of fairness. So, how is teh person in power decided? Fairness can never be measured because it's a loop, a paradox if we didn't decide from teh very beginning. So, to select a leader, how should this be decided? So, if we used this system from the very beginning, if you're Catholic, Adam, would be the one in power since he was the first man. He would then select one of his children who would then be the new leader. Unfortunately, our human minds were not developed in that area yet, so now, we either agree to disagree, or fight for power.

Comments (1)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Dear trusting_fish,
    the points you are making, are very thoroughly reflected, if I may say so. Fairness? Who can even say what that is? According to my personal experience, fairness is a sentiment that is quite subjective. One might feel, like a person was deserving of something and the other one, not at all. This is because everyone’s feelings are linked to deeper rooting experiences, impressions, etc. You are stating, that it should have begun with Adam, “if you are catholic”. Only by this phrase we can see, that the world is divided, even between people who share the same religion, but live out a different interpretation. Therefore I don’t think that you could ever establish fairness, especially in politics. No one’s opinion will be heard and perused one hundred percent, every time, which is why we need to compromise. Compromise with ourselves, our surroundings and peers is the beginning of peace. Is it that deep, that one politician got more attention than the other?-No, Maybe, who cares? The next possibility will present itself. As long as we establish a democracy and freedom of speech, we are on a good path! And as these values tend to be lost over time, we need to reinforce them and make sure, that our population has a say and is not dictated. This should also be true for India, China, Russia, etc. for my liking. But then again, who am I to say what is correct and what not? Fairness is for me an ethical question, that can never be solved one hundred percent.