Crushing stereotypes

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Do you think equality is a privilege or a fundamental right when it comes to gender?

Women are often underrepresented in many forms of media, whether in news, social media or advertisment. Because of this, younger women and girls have limited role models. Many women in media are often objectified or identified to stereotypes, this can lower their mental health and physical health can deteriorate, causing these women to quit their jobs. If all the women in media quit, there will be no women left in this industry.

A significant difference between genders is the gender pay gap. I don't think this should be in place, because the salary recieved should be equivalent to the amount of hours and effort and knowledge put into to work and not the gender, imagine a man that works 4 hours and gets paid double what a woman gets paid even though the woman has worked 7 hours, I find this discrimiantory.

International womens day doesn't harm anyone, in fact it's a day which we use as a reminder for all the important things women have done in the past and appreciate every single women. We applaud all they have achieved in the fight for equality. Women and girls have made many improvements in society: dismanteling stereotypes and driving towards the dream of having an equal and fair world. Yet they still face many obstacles...

I have learned about many women from the past and the achivements they have made, but there is one woman that sticks out to me more than others, her name is Ada Lovelace. She is now refered to as "the first programmer." However she faced a big challenge, society did not believe that a woman could succeed in maths or science, and women could never do the same as men. During the time that Ada made the discovery that computers had much more potential than a mathematical calculator, her contributions were ignored completly and all the ideas were credited to Charles Babbage, who worked with her. Finally when the birth of computer programming was introduced, she was finally recognized for her work and contributions. This has happened to many of the women who have made important discoveries in the past, and some haven't even been recognized.

Improvements have been made from the past, but women still face obstacles which we need to end.

Comments (1)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I believe that equality is NOT a privilege but a fundamental right. It is a human right to be equally treated with the same amount of respect, it is not a privilege to be treated and respect the same way as you would another. Women have been treated unfairly since the beginning of time, during the medieval times women would be put to death for doing "witchy" things, women weren't allowed to. Voting, play sports, go to work, pursing the sciences was impossible for a woman to do 100 years ago, women make up half of the world's population and if we let women get the same "privileges " as a man we could be very close to achieving a scientific breakthrough, or an amazing invention to improve the quality of life, resolving a computer bug or protecting their country; these few jobs are a snapshot of existing inequality and the stenotype's of what job a women can and can't do. Still so many people are out there that believe that women should only be in the kitchen or caring for the children and we need to stop the biased opinions of so many people and show them and tell them of what women can be capable of if we give them the space and time