Women In Media

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images10

I chose to talk about women in media because I believe that is a important issue and although sexism and gender inequality is talked about I think it is not talked about enough within the media industry and people should be educated and aware of it.

There is a lack of representation for women in media, partly because of the challenges that they face including bullying and harassment which can make it difficult for female journalists to do their jobs. Women are also considered weaker which is an unfair stereotype type but can lead to women getting less opportunities to work out in the field and write about more dangerous events and write high profile stories as well as getting a woman’s perspective on the story and getting different opinions on the topics. Not only is it harder for women to get work opportunities but it is also common for men to get paid more than women for doing the same job.

What can be done about this? I think that if more woman get promoted to bigger leadership roles, other women will feel more able to speak up and ask for more jobs out in the field as well as inspiering others to be more get involved take on bigger roles or want to lead confidently.