...Idrees Kahloon from The Economist!

Idres

Idrees Kahloon is the Washington bureau chief for The Economist and leads coverage of the White House, Congress and national politics. Before that, he was the Washington correspondent and US policy correspondent.

He began at The Economist as a data journalist in London – this means he is very good at unpicking numbers to figure out what’s going on. He graduated from Harvard University with a degree in applied mathematics and economics.

Idrees can talk about several of our Festival topics – but will be especially good at answering questions about the US midterms and numbers in the news.

Comments (13)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Hello, when I read the above, I was impressed by your great achievement, and I think that you are very smart and will have an important role in the future, and I hope that you will continue your career, I have some questions that I want to ask you: 1. Should all people see the news or is there specific news, if yes what is it, and if not why?? 2. Should everyone participate in the elections that will take place, or is there a certain group that should not participate, and why??

1. Thanks free_snail, fill out the form with your questions!

• I would like to ask you, Mr. Idris, do you support electronic elections that take place by phone or computer? If the answer is yes, are you ready to do it, and if it is no, I hope that you will list the reasons that made you refuse, from my point of view, I completely reject, as it is subject to modification and hacking by outside parties, as happened in one of the votes in advance.

• Hi
    First, I liked your work on preventing food waste
    I want to ask how many questions
    Did you fight hunger in the places you visited??
    Did the places you visited benefited from the advice or not?
    Is there a shortage of food waste in the places you visited? (Has there been a shortage of food crisis)?
    I want you to give us advice not to waste food and to preserve it (because in our country the food crisis is spreading)
    Thank you

• Hello Idris
    I see that your work is wonderful and honorable to you
    Be sure that your country is proud of you.
    My questions are:
    1. When you started journalism, how did you feel about your work and how do you see yourself in the future in this field?
    2. Do you think that all the news published on social networking sites is accurate and why?
    With wishes for success .

• I would like to ask Mr.Idrees Kahloon
    How might the current presidential elections affect young Americans, especially with the current economic situation in the world and the oil and gas crises?

• Hi, when I read the above, I was stunned by your great achievement, and I think that you are very smart and will have an important role in the future and now, and I hope that you will continue your career.

• Hello sir its great to ask u question siri want to know is journalism a secure profession?? I my country there is no security of a journalist as u ve heard the news of Arshad Shareef . What is difference between ur journalism nd developing countries ?

• Since Idris is a great inspiration for me and many other people , I would be ecstatic to find out that he had responded to my question to him , and my question is ...

How could tell if something is false information if you haven't found out yourself , and what helps you to find out about this ?

• Hello Idrees, I would like to ask you a question about the video we watch in class today from the Economist about fast fashion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLfNUD0-8ts&t=322s&ab_channel=TheEconomist). The video talk about Patagonia the brand who are against fast fashion and that they want to help the enviroment. But today I read on Green Queen (https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/fashion-brands-sustainability-claims-greenwashing/) which is an award winning enviroment magazine based in Hong Kong that Patagonia is not honest because they used synthetic fibres. I read that the amount of oil it takes to make synthetic fibres is the same amount of oil that Spain used in 1 year! And that these are made from the fossil fules. I hear they call this greenwashing when a brand is not truthfull. My question is what can we do to make sure that brands are honest about their products and how do we know what sustainible companys are the true ones?

• This is the question that I submitted to the type form:

Did the reversal of Roe vs Wade by the Supreme Court have a negative impact on the Republican vote in the midterm elections?

I think people expected for the Republicans to do much better than they did.

• Hello idrees!you ve incredibly impressive achievements as a journalist so kudos to that !as someone who knows the world of both data analystics and journalism, do you think that the current journalism ecosystem support data centeric news? Speciallybin the devlopimg country where there is a lack of data collection and maintenence agency, the mews produce offen lacks solid data. How can a journalist of a developimg country nevigate through such an ecosystemband still owner his/her credibility ?

• This is the question I asked:
    Should developed countries be allowed to recruit doctors and nurses from developing countries without paying compensation?
    16.5% of the British health system employees are foreigners. It may not look like a lot, but it makes a great difference to these people's countries of origin. Also, the British government doesn't allow a lot of people to study medicine, because it is expensive. How is this fair?
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7783/
    https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/healthcare/2022/08/amid-nhs-staff-shortage-uk-reintroduces-cap-on-medical-students

• I would like to ask Mr.Idrees KahloonDid the reversal of Roe vs Wade by the Supreme Court have a negative impact on the Republican vote in the midterm elections?