The pros and cons of fast fashion

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Fast-Fashion---Image-6

Hello everyone

My topic for today is about the negative effects of fast fashion

Although fast fashion makes clothes less expensive, fast-fashion factory workers are negatively affected. Ethical Fashion Forum reports have shown that workers work long hours to complete retailer orders, with a low salary and also

Increased transportation emissions due to the shipment of many new kits, which increases the pollution rate.

The biggest impact on the environment is the huge amount of clothing that is produced at a huge rate and is thrown into landfills every year. For example, in 2010 in the United States, 11 million tons of clothing waste were placed in landfills, which contributed to global warming with the release of Harmful methane gas.

In short, the goal of fast fashion is to produce clothes quickly and at a lower cost to get consumers to buy as many designs as possible

As far as it has its negatives, it also has its positives. Some of its positives are:

Self-expression: Fashion is an essential way to express one's personality.

Boost self-confidence: When you look good, you will become more confident with a great look and eye-catching.

Diversity in lifestyle: Fashion adds diversity in lifestyle and many colors after introducing new clothes into your life

If there are other pros or cons of fast fashion, write them in the comments.

Thank you

Comments (1)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think that people should get more money for doing fashion because some people spend most of their time just doing things for us as they are doing things for example if it was the winter they would be making warm clothes so we don't freeze when we step outside the house!

1. Hi bold_badger,

I understand your point that suitable clothing is important, but do you think that the fashion industry is in need of more funding? Which professions might need it more? (e.g. health sector, food industry, etc).

Let me know what you think!

1. I would like to look at this in a way that I think the fashion industry might need more funds given the situation of the need to reduce pollution and dump wastes form the fashion industry and the need to respect workers pay rights in the fashion industry,I think the industry might need more funding so as to be able to apply new non-pollutant material in the industry for example,bamboo,recycled cotton and organic cotton which might be expensive to extract and process,they might also need more funding so as to raise the workers' salaries and also put improve their working environment.They might also need to purchase machines that don't produce emissions when in use and do work more faster and easily so as to reduce workers workload so as they could have more resting time.
        All in all,I think the fashion industry might need more funding to restore it's fallen glory and friendship with the environment and people working and earning from it.
        For a new fashion world

1. Where do you think the fashion industry should get their funding from to help them pick more sustainable materials? Is this not the responsibility of the consumer who buys the clothes and funds the fashion industry?

1. I think they can get their funding from their profits of certain clothing and jewelry that is sold expensive because of cause there is always cheap and expensive in everything, through the profits,they are relying on the consumer but in order to transact fairly, they shouldn't raise the prices because it will even make them lose a big number of consumers so they should sell their clothing and reasonable prices that enable them sustain the business operation but as well as comfortable for the consumers.
            I also think the government should pay more attention to the fashion industry and give them more funds in the national budget such they promote sustainable fashion in the country,the government can also put in place programs where people of the fashion industry can access sustainable materials through government agents that sell it to them at affordable prices.The government can also help talk to commercial banks to give long-term loans to the people of the fashion industry for them to purchase materials for production.
            Basically,I think they should just transition to sustainable fashion and use the money they have been spending on pollutant expensive fabric to instead purchase sustainable material for production.