IS STRIKING THE ONLY WAY?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Festival2-FeaturedImage-Strikes-Image1

A strike is the stoppage of work temporarily done by workers to get the attention of their employers to meet their demands. Some reasons why people go on strike are:

1. Low salary.

2. Wrongful dismissal of workmen.

3. Dissatisfaction with the policies of the company.

4. Hours of work and interval timings.

5. Lack of motivation (incentives, allowances, bonuses, etc.)

Due to these reasons, millions of workers temporarily stop their jobs.

When it comes to strikes, I think that a whole country is affected. What I mean by this is that imagine if police officers went on strike. The country will be unsafe because there would be loads of crimes happening and nobody will be there to stop it. If a teacher goes on strike, who will be available to teach students? Therefore when strikes happen it affects a whole country.

In Ghana, the judicial service association of Ghana (JUSAG) says it will embark on an indefinite strike if the president of Ghana doesn’t approve and implement their salaries and arrears from January 2023. The judicial services in Ghana are complaining about low salaries, therefore they’re thinking of embarking on a strike. This shows that when you have tried everything possible and the government is not taking heed to you, the strike will be the last possible way to get the attention of the government. I think one way to reduce strikes is that, since things in the country have become expensive, the government should also increase the salaries of workers to prevent strikes.

Comments (2)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I agree because... Strikes, as a means for workers to address their concerns, are indeed impactful and can have wide-ranging effects on a country. The reasons that lead people to go on strike, such as low salary, wrongful dismissals, dissatisfaction with company policies, working hours, and lack of motivation, highlight the underlying issues faced by workers.

The consequences of strikes extend beyond the immediate workplace. For example, if police officers go on strike, public safety may be compromised, leading to an increase in crime rates and a sense of insecurity among citizens. Similarly, if teachers go on strike, it disrupts the education system and hampers the learning and development of students.

The case of the judicial service association of Ghana (JUSAG) exemplifies how strikes can be a last resort when all other avenues fail to address workers' grievances. Their demand for fair salaries and arrears reflects the crucial role that just compensation plays in preventing strikes. When workers feel undervalued and their financial security is compromised, strikes become a means to garner attention and bring about change.

To mitigate the occurrence of strikes, it is imperative for governments to proactively address the underlying issues faced by workers. This includes ensuring fair wages that keep up with the rising cost of living and providing avenues for meaningful dialogue and negotiation between employers and employees. By fostering an environment of mutual respect and addressing workers' concerns, the likelihood of strikes can be reduced, leading to increased productivity and stability within the workforce.

In essence, strikes are a manifestation of deep-rooted issues and the frustration felt by workers. By addressing the underlying causes and valuing the contributions of the workforce through fair compensation and responsive policies, we can create a more harmonious and productive society, where strikes become the exception rather than the norm.

• I agree that strikes are a way for workers to demand better conditions. Strikes can affect the whole country, as they stop many services and sectors. For example, if health workers or transport workers strike, many people will suffer. But I also think that strikes are sometimes needed and right, when workers have no other options and want to change things. For example, in France, the yellow vest movement used strikes to protest and get reforms. So I think that strikes depend on the situation and the reason. I think that workers can strike when they are treated unfairly, but they should also think about the results and choices. I think that the government should listen and respect the workers, but also balance them with the public and the economy. I think that strikes can be prevented or solved by talking, agreeing, and working together.