WHY STRIKE???

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Festival2-FeaturedImage-Strikes-Image1

According to Oxford Dictionary, a strike is "a refusal to work organized by a body of employees as a form of protest, typically in an attempt to gain a concession or concessions from their employer." I feel like people have different perspectives on strike, some agree with it while some disagree with it and they all have their various reasons for the side that they are on.

Why strike? is one of the questions in your head right now and I am here to answer you. Most times people strike because it is their last legal option. There are various reasons why people strike, they include;

1.)Dispute relating to minimum wages

2.)Salary and incentive issues.

3.)Increment is not up to the performance.

4.)Dissatisfaction with the policies of the company.

5.)Hours of work and interval timings

6.)Wrongful dismissal of workmen especially due to nepotism.

Most employees feel entitled to their boss, so they think they need to ask for permission to go on strike but it is not so. A strike is a legal action therefore it is their entitlement. Workers don’t need to notify their employer of strike action. The strike has negative effects on both employers and employees. For employers, one of the consequences of strikes is the loss of production and customers. The case of transit workers is an excellent example to illustrate how employers can lose production and customers due to a strike.

On the other, one of the consequences of strikes on employees is that they may lose their remuneration. This is because, many organizations, both in public and private sectors, have adopted “the no work, no pay principle"

Once the strike is over, although the employer may not have fired the employees, an unhealthy employment relationship may be created. Although the law may prohibit the employer from dismissing employees due to a strike, the employer may start to look for other reasons, which may be perceived as genuine, to fire the employees who went on strike.

Furthermore, there can be a division between employees who went on strike and those who decided to stay and work. Due to this, these two parties may view each other as enemies, and this is likely to have negative implications for both working conditions. Employers are also more likely to favor employees who stayed behind when their collages went on strike. In conclusion, industrial action is one of the methods employees can use to solve workplace issues. Trade unions, as well as employees, consider strikes as an integral part of the collective bargaining process.

Comments (3)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• It is true that industrial action, including strikes, is a method used by employees and trade unions to address workplace issues and negotiate better working conditions, wages, and benefits. While strikes can be disruptive and costly for both employers and employees, they are often seen as a necessary tool in the collective bargaining process.However, strikes should be used as a last resort after all other means of negotiation and dispute resolution have been exhausted, strikes must be conducted within legal frameworks and with consideration for the safety and well-being of all parties involved.

• I agree with what you're saying because it is all very factual. The reasons why workers go on strikes, how it affects workers and employers, how the work place is changed after the strike, and how workers may go against each other based on if they did strike or not.

• In my opinion I think strikes is only way social workers voices can be heard and respected, thus I t hard for social workers for day and night and at the end up with little in come , therefore making it hard for them to provide for their families. This miseries make these social workers angry and depressed, because sitting down with these politicians and the government will not change anything in their payments and society, so strikes id only way for these social workers voices and demands will be heard.