Worriers or Warriors?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

• Eco-anxiety represents a huge amount of fear regarding our planet's future, endangered by harmful activities humans have done.

Worrying about the environment can have negative aspects, such as taking every news article very seriously, or not planning about the future, because the world is already in poor condition. However, the positive consequence of eco-anxiety is being able to raise awareness, by expressing your thoughts concerning climate change. The people you speak to, who may have not consi environmental changes a serios issue, could realise how much our planet has to suffer due to our harmful action.

From what I've noticed, majority of teenagers in my country are quite careless about the environment, them being one of the categories which cause the most damage locally. Attempting to engage them in a serious discussion seems pointless to me, as they already formed strong personal opinions, and do not want to give up on their destructive habits. However, trying to increase awareness about climate change to smaller children, who frequent kindergartens or elementary schools, can have significantly better results, because they don't have a certain lifestyle, and are easier to influence. Starting to recycle at a ripe age will make them become self-conscious people, and can possibly become a routine they will follow for a long part of their lives.

In conclusion, although eco-anxiety doesn't have a good impact on our mental health, it can help the environment by increasing knowledge regarding its current state.

Comments (1)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• You know the thing about eco-anxiety is that everyone who has it thinks it's them against the world and they don't realize just how many people care about the same things too and are experiencing those same feelings that is what causes those mental health problems.

1. I agree because... many individuals are probably experiencing eco anxiety due to the increase of negative news about our planet and extremists expressing their views on the media. Young adults are increasingly being exposed to social media ,and if they are constantly being bombarded with worrying environmental matters or worrying news in general , this can lead to eco anxiety and constant stress.