The Enhanced Games: Are They Fair?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images9

Are the Enhanced games the Olympics of the future? The Enhanced games are a planned international sports event, where athletes will not be subject to drug testing. Performance enhancing drugs are substances that people take to run faster, jump higher or be physically stronger. When athletes take these drugs, it is called doping. The Enhanced game promises to flip the scripts on doping at sporting events. The first modern day Olympics were launched by Peter de Coubertin in in 1896. The rules have changed over the years but is this a step too far? After reading this report what side will you be drawn to?

It is believed by many that the Enhanced games are a better version of the Olympics, where an athlete’s full potential works in harmony with science. Because it is thought that 44% of athletes illegally take performance enhancing drugs in the modern-day Olympics, the Enhanced games will be a safer and more open environment for the athletes taking part. Also, there have been advancements in trainers, bikes, clothes and much more. Those have been allowed, why not drugs?

On the other hand, it is stated by many that taking these drugs can affect the athlete’s health. They may feel forced to take these substances in order to do well in the games. Also, it may be considered unfair by certain poorer countries who cannot afford the drugs. Finally, thousands of pounds will be spent on the substances and as a result, vital funds may be lost for schools, hospitals, care homes and other public sectors that rely on the money from the government.

To conclude, although there are many arguments for and against, my opinion is that the Enhanced games should not be allowed. I feel that the fact the athletes are taking drugs will ruin the experience for those watching. It will distract from the natural talent of the people taking part and focus the spotlight on then abilities of the performance enhancing substances. Isn’t the fact that athletes are incredibly talented we should be celebrating and not the pharmaceutical company’s achievements in the developments of drugs?

Comments (6)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think this is an unfair decision for athletes or competitors in general because not only does it create boundaries for people. But it will also have some impact on the talent industry. Some talented athletes will not get to show their abilities. I think it takes a lot of dedication and hard work for a person to become a professional athlete, and in that regard, we should respect those people and by creating a sports industry that is open to drug addicts and medicine, that To amplify their energy would not only be disrespectful to the athletes who have worked so hard to get to this point, But it will also create unfairness. To be honest, I would be disappointed if this industry became an enhancement industry and I would lose faith in the sports industry, the talent and the people.

• I think doping is not fair for athletes because it can either lead to cheating, not doing what they have to do or taking the wrong drugs

• To be honest peoples might want to
    show their true self and talents but taking drugs might not help show their real ability to do what they want to do and everything might go wrong

• I think you could say the enhanced games are fair as the people entering know their opponents are taking enhancing drugs. The Olympics and other non enhanced sports do have a problem with drugs already so at least with the enhanced games the people already know their opponents are taking them. But you could say the person with the best pharmacist is going to win.

• I think that the enhanced games are fair because, it is easy to compete in and it is easy to enter because everybody has the same opportunity when competing in the enhanced games because you have the same opprotunity as everybody else when entering the games/competition.
    Everybody should have an equal opprotunity to everything in every sport.
    THANK YOU.

• In my opinion, the Enhanced Games are not good. This is because it goes against many rules of sport and it is really not good sportsmanship. I do not think people realise that taking drugs is (to me) wrong. Drugs can harm a lot and can become dangerous. For athletes, taking drugs could get addictive, and potentially a bad habit. Plus, what sort of chemicals are athletes putting into their bodies if they take part in the Enhanced Games? How much harm could it cause later on in life? If they take too many, or take the wrong ones, they could be more dangerous and could affect people's mental health as well as physical health - we need to really look after these. As well as this, as shining_king said, people will not acknowledge the fact that the athletes who are taking part in the normal Olympics are working hard, and training as much as they can. Do we want to be saying that drugs are better than training hard to get your rewards?