The Enhanced Games: Fair or Unfair

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

A topic that has sparked my attention and that I am most passionate about is The Enhanced Games. The Enhanced Games is an event that is very similar to the Olympics (although it only consists of five events) but athletes are allowed to take performance-enhancing drugs, which means competitors can achieve more in their sport. The Enhanced Games has been a debatable subject that has had lots of varying opinions. These different opinions have created interesting discussions and have opened many new problems, possibilities, debates, questions and answers.

Many are of the opinion that the Enhanced Games should not take place. The main reason for this is that it could be very harmful to the athletes. Health is a very serious matter that should certainly be recognised in this event. By taking performance-enhancing drugs, athletes are at risk. This risk is their body; drugs can be very dangerous and can have an impact later on in life and some people do not see or understand this.

Another reason is the effect it will have on the younger generation. It is more than likely that, after watching the Enhanced Games, children will receive a bad influence. This will be because they will see the athletes with big muscles and find out that they are not training. Obviously, you need to work hard to get your rewards but the younger generation may not see this.

On the other hand, some people think that the Enhanced Games will be good and should take place. One reason is that there may be some athletes who are taking drugs that do not get found out in the drug test in the normal Olympic Games. Following this, it will make the Olympic Games fairer since the people who want to take drugs can play in the Enhanced Games.

Others claim that young athletes can still follow their dreams of being professional athletes, even if they are playing in the Enhanced Games. If competitors take part in the Enhanced Games, they will still be professional athletes, no matter what. In addition, athletes can push their bodies to the limits.

After considering both points of view, I believe that the Enhanced Games should not take place. I think this because drugs can be very dangerous and athletes need to take care of their bodies. Drugs were banned for a logical reason so why should they be reintroduced now? Also, it is not good sportsmanship, and goes against many rules of sport.

Comments (2)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I agree with you! I completely agree with all of your points. In paragraph 4, you stated, "One reason is that there may be some athletes who are taking drugs that do not get found out in the drug test in the normal Olympic Games. Following this, it will make the Olympic Games fairer since the people who want to take drugs can play in the Enhanced Games." I completely agree with you!!

• The Enhanced Games is a topic that almost every sports enthusiast racks his brain over. Three days ago the Australian-born founder Aaron D`Souza has said the international event would go ahead in 2025 and qualifications would get under way this year. But are the Enhanced Games a fair sporting event or is science the key to victory?

The strongest argument against the Enhanced Games is the health of the athletes. Unnatural performance enhancing substances like steroids carry serious side effects such as depression or brain tissue damage. How many bodybuilders suffer because of an overdose of steroids or even died because of that?

I can see the point that the participants are fully grown men and women and that they have to take care of themselves, but they have no idea how they will be affected because the side effects can be different from person to person. Erythropoietin (EPO) increases red blood cells what can in the best case increase the endurence but lead to blood clots, stroke and heart attacks as well.

Statistics indicate that around half of the profesional athletes boost their permance with banned substances.
    The Enhanced Games would seperate the natural from the unnatural athletes so that the Olymic Games would be dominated by natural athletes again.

But after having reviewed both sides, I think that the Enhanced Games shouldn`t take place they offer illegal substances more space and I would say that the effort, preparation and performance should be rewarded and science must not be the key to victory.

1. I agree with you noble_avocado as there are many serious health problems that can occur if you use performance enhancing drugs such as heart attacks, strokes, liver tumours , kidney failures and many more health problems. If performance enhancing drugs are used coaches could start pressuring athletes into using them and the more drugs that are taken the more danger for the participants. Also, once you have taken these drugs you will not be able to perform in the Olympics and will shatter the dreams of the athletes who participated in the Enhanced Games years ago who wish they could take back that decision.