The Pink Tax: A Price for Being a Woman?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images8

The pink tax is term used to describe a situation where products sold to women are priced higher than similar products sold to men. This isn’t a tax imposed by the government. The money made by the pink tax benefits the company using it.

These price differences can be noticed in daily products too, like moisturizer, shampoo, perfumes, and clothes. Taking an example from the fashion industry, many renowned brands have different prices for men and women for similar clothes and the prices for women are mostly higher. Women have to pay more even for essentials and everyday items.

The pink tax is a huge financial problem for women due to their low incomes. It is evident that women earn less than men, even for the same type and amount of work. Wasn’t it already discriminatory that women earned less than men, that now they have to spend more too?

The pink tax is a fuel for gender inequality. It increases differences. It creates the mindset that femininity comes with a price. That feminine products should be expensive. Which I think is not true; feminine products are just like any ordinary product and have no reason to be expensive.

Some people might argue that products for women include multiple features and cost more to produce. But in that case, why are there so many products with similar features that cost more for women than men? Another perspective includes people who think women are willing to pay more for goods designed for them because they are considered premium. But I think that due to the high beauty standards of society, women are left with no choice but to buy such products.

According to me, pink taxes are extremely unjust. They increase the financial burden on women and also gender disparities. I think it is selfish and partial that brands sell products to women for a high price for their personal gain.

I believe that there should be things done to stop imposing the pink tax. Many countries have created policies to stop pink taxes. Awareness of the issue helps people make better choices. We can encourage women to buy gender neutral products which cost less. Using our voices, we can urge brands to have equal pricing. I hope that in future, the price tag of a product won’t depend on the gender of the person using it.

Comments (2)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Yes I do agree with you well in today's society we are giving equal to men and women in all fields so why to make a difference in the price of the products both these genders use..I believe if the products for women are expensive and are extra from men so well we should also give more salary to womens as they pay more for using products made for them!!still there are salary differences between males and females.. according to the data more womens are underpaid then mens so according to this men's products should charge more but overall I think if we need to get a equal society we need to uproot such "pink taxes" because in today's world both men and women are capable and independent!!

• I agree that the pink tax is unfair as it is not used to support the production of these products or to help those who are not able to afford essential products due to the high and still rising prices. For example, sanitary pads and other period products are under the pink tax which causes many to struggle to buy these eventhough they are needed and women don't get to choose if they have their period as it is a natural process that occurs monthly for most. Therefore they should not have to suffer due to the greed and selfishness of large corporations looking to make more profits. Higher profits should not be prioritised over people's health and hygiene!