#17 Report back!

15 January 2021

Skill Description Competition Listening

Time for the winners!

Well done to everyone who entered the competition this week! All of your entries proved that you’ve been paying lots of attention to the news and we were blown away by the amount of detail in your answers. But there can only be two winners... and this time they are:

mirthful_rainforest of Preston Manor School for their clear reporting of the protests at Capitol Hill

and…

jovial_eel of Lyons Hall Primary School, who used their problem-solving skills to critically compare police reactions to protests in America.

Excellent reporting from both of you!

A new Issue means the start of some new competitions! This half term, you'll get the chance to explore protest and talk about whether it works. So...

For the first competition of the Issue, we would like you to use your listening skills.

What protests are happening in the news? Research what's going on and then report back with what you've heard.

The best entries will explain how people are protesting, why they are protesting and where the protest is happening. Don't forget to tell us where you found your information.

For example, you could say:

The protest that I heard about from the news was in (insert place here). People were protesting by (insert type of protest here) because (insert reason for protest here). I found this out from (tell us your news source here).

Fancy a challenge? Do some extra research to tell us your opinion on what you've found out.

The deadline for entries is Friday January 15th at midday. PLEASE ENTER ONLY ONCE and make sure your work is your own. Good luck!

Comments (35)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• This protest is one that I just saw yesterday evening!

What happened was that...
    When Donald Trump lost the election, His supporters were angry to know that their chosen candidate did not win the election. Since
    the republican party didn't like how Trump lost the election, they started protesting on the Capital Hill in the USA. This one wasn't a peaceful protest (I think this was a riot protest). There was so much violence that one women even got shot in the chest and is now dead. Luckily, the riot guards later came and sorted this issue but windows were broken, hearts were shattered and tears were shedding. This protest will forever be in the history of America and will forever be remembered. I found this out by watching the TV.

1. I believe I have seen this protest too when i saw the title of a news video.

• i think discrimanation is most popular reason of a protest because it is very bad and can cause mental health issues or being sad most of the time. Another popular protest is climate change because it is not only killing planet earth it is ruining our childrens futures it is also ruining our so we need to put a stop to all the plastic going in the seas but also global warming.

• There was one protest i saw in London about two months ago and it was called black lives matter (BLM).This protest was caused by the killing of a 46- year old man named George Floyd. He was killed by a Minneapolis police officer named Derek Chauvin. These protests were not only held in London but here held in America and many more countries. The protests were non violent and the type of protest which was carried goes by the name of a march as many people were only chanting, holding banners and signs.
    -decisive lion of Upton cross primary school

1. Thanks for contributing, decisive_lion. I noticed that you said that the killing of George Floyd started last year's BLM, or Black Lives Matter, protests, which occurred in America, London and other places. What do you think the protesters mean when they say Black Lives Matter, and how does it relate to George Floyd? Also, could you please share where you got your information from so that we can all learn more?

1. I recently found out BLM (Black Lives Matter) was a movement founded in early 2013 because of the killing of a young Black-American teen in a shooting. The movement was started because of the wide array of police brutality against black people in America. The Hashtag #blacklivesmatter swarmed social media and soon enough protests on the streets of America were taking place. BLM was at large until 2016 where it quieted down but was not finished. Sadly, a few years later on 25th May 2020 a 46-year old black man was killed in the streets of Minneapolis Minnesota through a form of police brutality where a police officer by the name of Derek Chauvin forcefully placed his knees on his neck for a period of 8 minutes and 46 seconds. George Floyd repeatedly said "I can't breathe, I can't breathe" George Floyd died later in the hospital. This awoke the BLM protest once more and quickly everyone was involved. People holding banners and signs and also chanting the quote 'I can't breathe repeatedly'. BLM was not founded from the killing of George Floyd it was just awoken once more after 4 years. I got my information through the news an did some scouring of the internet to find when and why BLM was founded.

Thank You,
        decisive_lion

1. Excellent research and post, decisive_lion. Well done!

• Hello this is not a recent protest but find this one was really important
    What happened was 46 year old George Floyd was killed on the 25th of May 2020 for alledgedly using a countfeit $20 note in Minneapolis a knee was pressed on his neck making it hard to breath and after 11 minutes he sadly passed .After that Social Media was blown away by this racist act of injustice and despite of coronavirus took to the streets and started prostesting to stop police brutality. As the news came showing other racial injustices more people came to protest some peaceful [such as standing on one knee for 9 minutes on the streets] to burning police stations and people in riot gear trying to stop the riots. From what I know his attacker hasn't been punished and people have still been posting on social media expressing their emotion
    by fiery_ impression

• The protest that I heard on the news was in the USA, white house.

What happened was that when Trump lost the election, protesters(who are supporting him) were very angry so they swarmed the Capital Building, Forcing officials to order lawmakers to shelter in place and halting debate in both the House and the Senate. Riots were chanting “We want Trump” and one was photographed in the Senate President’s chair.

Joe Biden said it was an “Insurrection”, and Trump released a video message telling people to go home.

There are reports of guns drawn in the building and at least one person was shot. A woman was reported to be in critical condition and several police were injured. There had been armed confrontation at the doors of the house of Representatives. Tear gas has also been used.

Joe Biden described the violence as “one of the darkest days in history of our nation” and blamed Trump for striking violence.
    I found this out by reading the news.

1. Lots of detail there, discreet_drum! Great job. Well done for using quotation marks to show what other people have said.

• This is a very interesting protest
    It was discovered yesterday as thousands of people destroyed the capitol in America
    How did this happen well when Donald Trump lost the election some people might have not seen this but on Twitter and on social media he posted get ready for Thursday, the 6th of January he knew this fight was going to happen he knew people were going to destroy the capitol and he let them do it just because he lost the election.
    This was certainly not a silent protest this was not a peaceful protest this was a violent and cruel protest. One lady posted on social media that she decided to go and run into the capitol but luckily the police were there and they maced her down.
    Luckily, this protest turned down a bit and started to not become as violent as it was before
    Windows buildings houses and even posh areas were broken down people are sad people are depressed people are anxious people are thinking what they would do. Up till now it is still happening and this should not happen again as it is not right to ask humans and it is not right to the politicians that work there to help their country be better again.This time in history will be known long the capital was once a place where the politicians were there and made decisions right for the country now look at the state of it now look at the windows look at the houses look at the area itself that area I’ll be known long and the capitol.
    (Yesterday I was watching the TV with all my family and we were discussing about this and were having disagreements and agreements about this and one of what my sister told me was when it was the BLM protest the protesters were treated differently and called terrorists. But now people are going into the most posh place and destroying it and they are still there and protesters haven't been stopped! meanwhile Donald Trump called them protesters (not terrorists) this is racist and it’s not right and it should never happen)

• A recent protest that happened was on the 6th of January when Donlald Trumps tens of thousands supporters gathered at US Capitol and roamed the corridors, broke windows, 5 people died one of whom was shot. The gathering was to support Trump's false claims of fraud in the US election. Over 60 people were arrested. The way it was organised was that Donald Trump went on national TV to say the election was rigged and said that he was the real president and not Joe biden. Many say that this was was not a peacful protest at all but terrorism. Biden orders Trump to go on national television and tell the terrorists to go home but 4 hours after the attack.
    By awesome_atmosphere

1. Thank you! Could you share your source with us please so that we can all do some learning too?

• There was a protest in London on having NHS workers get paid fairly. Crowds gathered on Horse Guards Parade at 11am. People protested with placards and chanting, ‘ one two three four five, keep our NHS alive’.
    The protest seemed to work because they were due a pay rise next April, but now protestors want the government to show how much they care about NHS staff and what they do for us by bringing it forward to this year.
    The placards said things like: “Heroes shouldn’t have to Use Food Banks” and “How Easy You Forget”, which I think are quite deep things to write. When I found this on the internet, I found it quite sad that NHS workers must be payed really badly for people to have to protest to make the pay fair, and yet they continue to work there anyway because they love helping people so much. This protest told me how kind NHS workers are, because I can imagine it being quite hard to work sometimes all-day every-day and then not get paid much for it. They do it just to help us out.

• Want happened on my news was, It was about the schools closing down and going into a 3rd lockdown! Most Schools will be closed and be doing online lessons it said so nobody is going back to school right now!

• Hi,
    I got my source from The Daily Mail.
    In the fight to stop period poverty, Scotland was the first country in the world to make sanitary products free. However, the English government didn’t follow. Protests began in London, outside Parliament to at least take the tax off these products. After many protests, which began in 2017, the English finally agreed and from the first day of 2021 these products will not be taxed. This is a problem half the people in society have to face, and I agree - you shouldn’t have to pay for them at all, but removing the tax is a start. This is an example of a successful, peaceful, democratic protest, unlike what has happened in America this week.
    Thank you

1. Thank you for your comment, incredible_world! You say that while the English government took a step forward by making sanitary products tax-free (a development that took years of protest), people ultimately shouldn't have to pay for them at all. Why do you think some people oppose making these products free, or even making them tax-free?

• This is my view, hope you consider.

The protest that I will be talking about, is the biggest one that has been all over the news and is also the most controversial protest. It is of course the US capital protests if that is what you want to call it, some people would call is both a riot and/or domestic terrorism. What happened was a large group of Trump supporting republicans stormed the US government capital building (which if you didn't know was. where they have the senate and they make all the laws) and smashed up the windows and stoles certain items and vandalised the place while demanding that Trump was the president and the election was fraudulent (all the evidence supporting this has been debunked). There was some alarming footage of police opening the gates and taking selfies with the rioters and there has been an argument that is it had been a black lives matter protesters, the police would have been much more violent and you can see that in practice in other black lives matter protests. In the past few days the police have tracked down and arrested some of the people who broke into the capital.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed,
    -careful_science

1. Hi careful_science, this is a really well researched post with helpful definitions. What do you think is the main reason why the US Capitol events were controversial? Could you also please share the source of the information so we can all learn more?

• I have heard on many news programs and messages from the news apps about many kinds of protesting such as, climate change, fair pay for the NHS and much more including, protesting for their rights.
    Examples of climate change,
    (Where I got it from is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55276769 )
    People say that ‘not enough’ climate ambition is shown by leaders.
    Personally I think yes they may not show enough of it but they could be privately discussing about what to do and this example of protests of what I have seen is good and bad in a way reasons why bad, because people stop doing school to do it and some people aren’t wearing masks and keeping a distance at all!! Reasons why it’s good, people can suggest more ideas to help the environment and people can get more say. So concluding on this topic is there is not always something that is 100% good or 100% bad because we all see it in different ways to someone else but I personally see more of a good then a bad, 44% bad 56% good! Burnet news team what do you see more of a good or a bad? And if you had to estimate a percentage what would you give?
    By willing_radio❤️❤️

• Sorry I had to make a second one I forgot to add a bit more and I accidentally posted it without adding, there are many examples of protesting such as zoom protests and much more and most commonly in protests they make signs!

• Is it just me or have I seen all of these protests...

Anyway!The George Floyd protests began in Minneapolis on May 26, 2020, after the killing of George Floyd — an African American man who asphyxiated when now-former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin pinned him down with a knee on his neck for more than 8 minutes. The protests quickly spread across the nation, with hundreds of thousands of people in all 50 states taking to the streets in opposition to Floyd's death, police brutality and institutional racism at large. As of June 3, the protests have continued nightly, resulting in 12 deaths, widespread incidents of police brutality as well as looting, and the deployment of nearly 20,000 National Guard troops in 24 states.

2ndOn Earth Day (April 22) 2017, roughly 100,000 people marched on Washington, D.C., in a non-partisan rally to celebrate science and promote making policy decisions using scientific evidence — particularly on issues like climate change and public health. Like the Women's March, the March for Science was inspired by the election of President Trump. Trump had previously called climate change a hoax and promised to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris Agreement on global climate mitigation, abolish anti-pollution regulations put in place by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and cut federal funding for numerous science and research agencies, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Marches for Science were held in more than 600 cities around the world on Earth Day 2017, drawing a global attendance of more than 1 million people, according to the organizers.

3rdOn Jan. 21, 2017 — the day after Donald Trump was inaugurated as 45th president of the United States — more than 470,000 people marched on Washington, D.C., in support of women's rights, and in opposition to misogynistic statements and behavior from Trump. (As of May 2020, Trump had been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 25 women.) The protest garnered enormous international support, with more than 600 marches planned in the U.S. and 81 other countries on the same day. Experts estimate that somewhere between 3.2 million and 5.2 million people participated in the marches in the U.S. alone, easily making the Women's March the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.

4thThe Protestant Reformation began with the quietest and most orderly single protest in this list — the nailing to the door of a German church a treatise on the abuses of Catholicism by Martin Luther, in 1517. However, the movement that followed would ultimately spill blood and tear empires apart.

This is all I think I can put but I know a lot more!

• The protest that I heard about from BBC news was in the US Capitol in Washington, USA. People were protesting by rioting. They were climbing up walls, banging against glass to get inside and trying to get in the chambers because Donald Trump told them too. He said to them "fight like hell" and to "take back our country. They were marching first because in the Capitol they were confirming Joe Bidens win by counting votes but then it got violent. Donald Trump thought the votes were false and made up. Five people died and lots were injured. I found this out from wikipedia and bbc news.

• American Election protest:
    You may have heard about the protest in America about the election not being fair, and the votes need to be re_counted. This was harmful to property (the capital building Washington, America), civil alignment and much, much more.But who led them on? If you know please reply. This protest breached many, many defenses and apparently that shows Joe Biden is not meant to be president. Trump supporters fought against police and this ended up as a tragedy for many people.By the end of June, at least 14,000 people had been arrested at protests.
    Black Lives Matter protest:
    As many of you have heard there has been a protest of Black Lives Matter. After the death of George Floyd there have been many protests around the globe. Some protests are taking the knee as you might of seen on football matches and some people are following along. There has been a lot of protest so lets end on a high note and say after a down there is always an up.

• What happened in the protest was
    when Donald Trump lost the election all of the people who voted him was angry and wanted to start a riot
    It was really violent and the windows had been broken luckily the guards and security sorted all of that out. There has been a lot of protests like Black Lives Matter and the election and over 14,000 people were arrested because of the protests.

1. I wouldn't say ALL of the people who voted for him wanted to start a riot, but a small minority have certainly caused chaos as a result of his baseless claims.

• The protest that I have heard of was about Donald Trump when he lost the election. This protest was a Riat protest I think since it was not peaceful. This all happened because Donald Trump lost the election and his supporters did not agree with it they did not want Joe Biden to win.

• A protest that has been happening is about people protesting about how they don't like the new coronavirus measures and the lockdowns. I found out about this in 'school' when our teacher explained about some of the protests. This protest was in London. The type of protest was a march. I think that people should not have protested about that because it is just measures to keep us safe and if people follow the measures then covid will ease but, if people don't follow the rules then they will have to do the measures more then they would have had to! If I had to protest around that area then I would have protested about how they put our hopes up about meeting on Christmas, then suddenly they said, '' People may not be able to meet with anyone but only one person outside and we are in a full lockdown.'' Basically, Boris Jhonson put us into full lockdown without like at least a three or two-week warning so some people might not have even had any presents on Christmas!
    From buzzing_grapefruit

• What Happened Recently?

Hi everyone my name is Mirthful_rainforest and I will inform you about what has happened in the news recently and what has happened today.On the 6th of January Monday.Trump Supporters started a riot so they could change the President position from Joe Biden to Donald Trump.Trump supporters didn’t do a peaceful protest but started attacking the police that were trying to make sure no one got hurt.They start aggressive pushing and sprayed them with some sort of gas in a spray can.In fact Donald Trump encouraged all of his supporters to continue with this violent riot and told them to storm into the Capitol to “get their country back, so that it can be great again” he said they should do this because the votes were rigged and that they should be president and not Joe Biden but the reality is that he just can’t except what has happened so he has to encourage his supporters to damage and invade the Capitol, while getting many hurt.Many compared this to the Black Lives Matter but these two are clearly different like night and day because the Black Lives Matter one was peaceful and safe.And this one was fighting about justice and fighting for equality between black people but what was the one about trump supporters it was about how their “leader” couldn't except that he isn’t president anymore.Now that’s what happened recently but what happened today?Go below to get information about what happened today.

What Happened today?

Hi I’m mirthful_rainforest and I will be taking about what happened today.Credits go to Yahoo news for informing us about this.Now to get on with the topic Parents have called out the ‘meagre’ free school meals which are meant to be worth £30 but seem to be £5 or under.Yes I understand that the school meals are free so the quality might be slightly underperforming but that doesn’t mean the quantity has to follow.I believe it’s not the families fault but the companies fault and those who are in charge.Because I’m not exactly sure why they expect the family to eat so little and expect that they can survive on that amount of food for a week.So instead of giving this they could give a £30 voucher but I think due to COVID 19 they’re trying to prevent too many people going out.So that’s understandable but at least you could make sure that there’s enough food for everyone and that it’s worth £30.Now people are upset because they’re is not enough food for everyone in their family and in general because even if they wanted to get more food with their own money it would be difficult because they still have bills to pay like water bills or for heat and they shouldn’t have to be doing such things to choose over food or bills.Many people have posted pictures on Twitter showing the food and are saying that they could do better with £30,which says a lot if one person think they could do better than a team that are dedicated to doing these things.Other people show that they were disgusted by how the food was packaged in money bags and were given a pathetic carrot stub than a good carrot.People like Jack Monroe have been helping these people in private so they get more than scraps of food.Now although these people who are in charge of this responded to them saying they’ll look into it isn’t good enough because we are in lockdown and you’re basically starving those who rely on free school meals.Thank you for reading I hope you are more informed on what’s happening around the world and if you want to share something like your opinion or a question then I’ll try to respond to you as fast as I can.I wish you all the best during these times and thank you.

Kind regards,Mirthful_rainforest Preston manor high school

1. A well-written competition entry that shows you're paying close attention to the news! Well done.

• hi, im blissful_analysis and there has been a lot of problems in the USA between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
    Due to the election,people have voted for who they want to be the president one week later the results were counted and Joe Biden had won the election.People had gotten mad and had made a chaos, at 3 o clock the people of america made posters and signs saying "we want trump" polices have tried their best to calm them down but during that night there has been 52 arrested people and sadly a couple of people have past away. people are also angry for the way that Joe Biden has taken the corona virus and people have said that he should take things more seriously and put it to lockdown
    thankyou for listening.

1. I think that ther is no need for these protests because Joe Biden won but if you wanted Trump to win then you would believe most of the things he says so they belive him when he says Joe Biden won illegally

1. Good point, mindblowing_clarinet. So who do you think should receive the consequences for any trouble caused by these protests?

• The protest I heard about was in India this month. It was about the Indian government who have stopped paying farmers a fixed price for their crops. The farmers say they will get less money for their goods now, because of this new law. This disagreement has caused tens of thousands of farmers to block roads around New Delhi. I think this protest is a march because the farmers paraded in the streets. I read about this protest in The Week Junior magazine.

• Hello! I accidentaly posted my entry which wasIs it just me or have I seen all of these protests...

Anyway!The George Floyd protests began in Minneapolis on May 26, 2020, after the killing of George Floyd — an African American man who asphyxiated when now-former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin pinned him down with a knee on his neck for more than 8 minutes. The protests quickly spread across the nation, with hundreds of thousands of people in all 50 states taking to the streets in opposition to Floyd's death, police brutality and institutional racism at large. As of June 3, the protests have continued nightly, resulting in 12 deaths, widespread incidents of police brutality as well as looting, and the deployment of nearly 20,000 National Guard troops in 24 states.

2ndOn Earth Day (April 22) 2017, roughly 100,000 people marched on Washington, D.C., in a non-partisan rally to celebrate science and promote making policy decisions using scientific evidence — particularly on issues like climate change and public health. Like the Women's March, the March for Science was inspired by the election of President Trump. Trump had previously called climate change a hoax and promised to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris Agreement on global climate mitigation, abolish anti-pollution regulations put in place by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and cut federal funding for numerous science and research agencies, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Marches for Science were held in more than 600 cities around the world on Earth Day 2017, drawing a global attendance of more than 1 million people, according to the organizers.

3rdOn Jan. 21, 2017 — the day after Donald Trump was inaugurated as 45th president of the United States — more than 470,000 people marched on Washington, D.C., in support of women's rights, and in opposition to misogynistic statements and behavior from Trump. (As of May 2020, Trump had been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 25 women.) The protest garnered enormous international support, with more than 600 marches planned in the U.S. and 81 other countries on the same day. Experts estimate that somewhere between 3.2 million and 5.2 million people participated in the marches in the U.S. alone, easily making the Women's March the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.

4thThe Protestant Reformation began with the quietest and most orderly single protest in this list — the nailing to the door of a German church a treatise on the abuses of Catholicism by Martin Luther, in 1517. However, the movement that followed would ultimately spill blood and tear empires apart.

This is all I think I can put but I know a lot more!

to early but where I got my information from was newspapers, watching the news, seeing some, and some other links on the internet.

1. Hi ingenious_independence, please make sure you are putting the news into your own words when you take information from other sources. Otherwise you should make it nice and clear about where you got it from so it's fair on the original author.

2. Hi ingenious independence I was wondering how you knew of of the information about the what happened after the day Donald trump was inaugurated because it seemed to have happened a while ago .

1. Hello bright_independence how I knew about this is from either a news report or something else I hope I answered your question.

• The protest I heard about was all around the world. People were protesting by carrying posters and chanting they were protesting about the lives of Black people it was part of the Black Lives Matter protest because they were being treated poorly. I found this out by watching the news. This happened a few months ago.

By bright_independence

• A few days ago in the USA, Trump followers didn't like the fact that he lost the election so they protested at the Capitol Building and shouted 'We want Trump'. Lawmakers were forced to take shelter as the riot grew and eventually got violent. Three people had medical emergencies and died in hospital and one woman was shot. A police officer died Thursday evening after the riot. Trump encouraged his followers to listen to Joe Biden and apparently they thought he was encouraging them to protest and riot. The next day when Trump had seen what his followers were doing he said to stop. I heard this on the BBC news at 6.
    selfreliant_snake at Evelyn Street Primary School

• Clever_forest here,
    I am going to report back to the people who don’t think the election between Donald Trump and Biden is fair.People have been really angry that Biden won the election and is now fighting back. People have been smashing windows and smashing the doors open. People also have signs probably saying Donald Trump should have won. Donald Trump isn’t protesting but is telling his fans to protest. If Donald Trump lost then he lost you can not take that back.
    Hope you enjoyed reading my comment! :D

1. Donald Trump is refusing to go to Joe Biden's inauguration ceremony (the ceremony that officially announces him as the new president). Do you think that this could be seen as a type of protest?

1. I don't think that is protesting because you don't have to go to parties ( like Joe Biden's celebration party for becoming president) and it is a opinion if you want to go to the party.

• eager_reflection here,
    An article in the BBC said that Trump supporters were planning to have armed protests prior to the Biden inauguration on the 20th January. The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) warned that armed demonstrators could gather at all of the state capitols. They could even march at Washington DC to cause trouble on the inauguration day. Security will be increased, with 10,000 National Guard troops being sent in because of the storming of the Capitol on the 6th of January, where trump supporters broke into the Capitol building and caused havoc inside Congress. The consequences were 5 deaths, including police officer Brian Sicknick. Donald Trump was accused of inciting violence and was therefore banned from various social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook. Companies and social media platforms are also trying to stop users who are attempting to incite violence, and this includes Trump supporters and a social media platform called Parler. Democrats and even some Republicans will be voting on Wednesday 12th January for Donald Trump to be impeached (a formal charge) meaning he will be the first president to be impeached twice. For the first time in 150 years, the president will not be attending their successor's inauguration, as Donald Trump tweeted that he would not attend Joe Biden's inauguration. On the other hand, his vice-president Mike Pence will be attending. I found this out on this BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55625707
    Thanks for reading.

• On bbc news (and from my family in Nigeria) the peaceful end SARS protest went violent when the SARS opened fire on innocent people. The reason for this protest was because the SARS( Special Anti Robbery Squad) were abusing their power and becoming the new Boko Haram (Nigerian terrorists) , kidnapping children from their schools and killing innocent people. As you can see the people wanted to end SARS because SARS were meant to protect them but instead it was just hardcore police brutality. Thankfully the protests worked and the SARS have since disbanded, but it was a dark time for all Nigerians.

• On 6th January 2021, a mob of Donald Trump supporters carried out a protest which had everyone worried of a possible riot outbreak. This protest was carried out by armed citizens some of which had children with them. These Trump supporters were adamant that Donald Trump doesn't step down as The President of The United States despite the fact that Joe Biden has been elected as the new US President. Joe Biden is scheduled to have his inauguration ceremony on Wednesday 20th January 2021. To cause mass chaos and make their opinions heard, these supporters attacked the capitol building putting hundreds of lives at risk. Due to people protesting peacefully and not cooperating with the police officers, a woman was shot and killed. Joe Biden commented on the situation by tweeting: ' No one can tell me that if it had been a group of Black Lives Matter protesters yesterday that they wouldn't have been treated very differently than the mob that stormed the Capitol. We all know that's true - and it's unacceptable.' This tweet signified the fact that Joe Biden recognized and addressed the situation in a manner which was peaceful and effective. He also got a lot of positive feedback by people agreeing with him.

I got all my information by watching the news and I read the quote on twitter.

• I think protesting is ok for some things like black lives matter but in America there's shooting and killing that shouldn't be allowed

• The protest I heard from the news was the: US capitol riots. The riot was held on Wednesday 6th of January 2021 and was "orchestrated" by Donald Trump (former president) and carried out by a mob of his supporters. The motive behind this Capitol riot was to overturn his defeat in the 2020 presidential election. I think it's obvious Donald Trump doesn't want to believe that he lost the election in consequence injuring and killing people for his own personal gain. This shows how much learning how to be accepting when something doesn't go your way is and to move on.
    comfortable_chemistry

• The protests that I have researched was the protest that happened at the Capitol on the 6th January 2021. This protest happen because Trump supporters weren’t happy about Biden being elected for president instead of Trump. This protest consisted of violence and as a result, Trump made a speech asking for no violence. This protest is referred to as an armed protest where many people made their way into the Capitol before being escorted out. According to BBC news, people are planning to protest at 50 State Capitol.

• reflective_artic_fox here,
    I read online about how in Germany, Police fired a water cannon to disperse a crowd of protestors. The people were protesting about the new lockdown restrictions and an act announced by the MPs. It was quite violent, since some people were lobbing fireworks and flares at the police. The new law was apparently similar to an act during the world wars. This was called the 'Enabling act', Made by Nazis to give themselves more power to be able to do more things. The protestors were carrying signs that read things like 'we want our lives back!' and 'put banks under surveillance, not citizens!' After the huge water cannon was fired, the Berlin police in 'riot armour' and started to carry some protestors away, either further from the protest, or maybe in prison. There could still be some other options though. I think that protesting shouldn't be, or actually there should be nothing to protest about. The reason is simple- people are getting hurt. Sometimes fatally. That has to stop. Protestors and those trying to stop them are all engaging in some sort of Cold War, with little choice of which side that they choose to be on: The protestors, or the police.
    Here is the link for it:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-lockdown-protest-berlin-police-b1724879.html

• I found researching protests really interesting and when I started writing I really got into it and this is what I've put together!

On a Wednesday on January 6th 2021 a group of protestors who had been protesting outside of the Capitol in Washington breached security and stormed the building as they rioted. 2021. Dozens of protesters broke into the Building and walked through the halls as hundreds gathered outside. They had turned out to support Donald Trump and interrupt the electoral college vote count in an attempt to stop his defeat in the 2020 presidential election. People believed that there been vote rigging and that the result was unfair, although little evidence of this had been produced from the Trump campaign. The protestors were attempting to stop confirmation of President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory. Breaching police barriers, rioters then occupied, destroyed and looted parts of the building for several hours. The riot led to the evacuation and lockdown of Washington. Five people died, including a police officer and at least 60 people were arrested. A number of issues had drawn attention of the media and the wider public. Firstly, would the protestors have been treated differently if this had been a Black Lives Matter (BLM) protest, secondly did Donald Trump incite the mob and encourage the riots and if so is he guilty of an attack on the democratic structures of the United States.

On the 29th May 2020, around 1,000 people marched through Washington protesting against police brutality that had led to a series of deaths of black people by police. When protesters reached the White House some pushed down the barriers that separated them from the police before the march continued through the city. At 11:30 p.m. protests took place outside the White House, and the police used tear gas on the demonstrators. When the crowd split apart police went forward through the Park, holding shields and firing more tear gas. In the BLM protests people were getting knocked over, police officers were shooting and firing tear gas bombs, using batons. The majority of people in this protest where not even rioting and they were getting shot by police with rubber bullets. While in the Trump protest police officers were letting them pass or ignoring them. Many of them were armed with guns, axes and bombs and had racist t-shirts or flags. Where these protestors treated different because most of them where white? Is that why police let them pass and did not shoot them. I think this is unfair because you cannot just shoot someone just because of the colour of their skin, police should have the right to defend themselves but this should be suitable for the situation and police brutality should never be accepted. I also have seen reports of individual officers who stood up to the mob and were brave, protecting others at their own risk. So I’m not saying that all of the police involved failed in their duty, but that their leaders should be held accountable for their inaction and lack of leadership on the day of the Capitol riot.

I was surprised to see the footage of Trump protesters rioting and looked back at the reporting of the BLM protestors back in May/June of last year. Many of the BLM protestors were taking part in silent protests in the capital and police still shot rubber bullets at them or hand cuffed them. You would think that many of the Trump protestors who were rioting would have been arrested but there were only 60 arrests, this compares with 316 BLM protestors arrested on the 1st of June 2020. I think there would have been greater security at the Capitol in thousands of angry black people had turned to protest on the 6 of January 2021. I think race impacts how the police and politicians respond and whether they see a particular group as more a threat than another.

I believe President Trump encouraged people to reject a democratic vote. Since the election he told people that he had won and when the counts came back in favour of Joe Biden he changed his story telling people there had been election fraud. On Twitter Donald Trump had people telling people to turn up for a “big protest” on the 6th of January. On the 4th of January he told supporters in Georgia that “we’re going to take what they did to us on Nov. 3. We’re going to take it back.”, he also said "If the liberal Democrats take the Senate and the White House — and they’re not taking this White House — we’re going to fight like hell, I’ll tell you right now,". I ask myself is this encouraging violence and what exactly does he think people should take back, is it power? It sounds to me like he thinks some people votes shouldn’t count, for example anyone who didn’t vote for him.

Here are some recent tweets by trump
    12 December 2020: "Wow! Thousands of people forming in Washington (D.C.) for Stop the Steal. Didn’t know about this, but I’ll be seeing them! #MAGA."
    12 December 2020: "WE HAVE JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!"
    19 December 2020: A great report by Peter. Statistically impossible to have lost the 2020 Election. Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!"
    26 December 2020: "The ‘Justice’ Department and the FBI have done nothing about the 2020 Presidential Election Voter Fraud, the biggest SCAM in our nation’s history, despite overwhelming evidence. They should be ashamed. History will remember. Never give up. See everyone in D.C. on January 6th."

That’s not all, before the protestors marched on the Capitol building in January 6th, Trump told them "We’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators, and congressmen and women,". He was encouraging his supporters to believe that if they turned out they could overturn the election result. However, he was more direct when he said "We’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong." These words encouraged people to “take back our country”, but from who?

People like Rudy Giuliani (Donald Trumps lawyer) didn’t help things at the protest when they said "Let’s have trial by combat,". The law doesn’t define guilt or innocence by how good you are at fighting, that’s why we have courts, judges and juries to agree if someone is innocent or guilty of a crime. My view is that if you challenge the result of a vote you should have proof of the things you claim, or be able to show evidence that would allow an investigation. However, from what I have read whenever Donald Trump’s campaign started a legal case (50+) about the election they have generally lost. I think Donald Trump tried to bully people so that he could stay president and that’s why he encouraged the protestors to “take it back”!

By jovial_eel

1. Wow! This is incredibly detailed and well explained. Fantastic!

• I think some country’s are very unfair because places like North Korea if you even search protesting stuff up you can get 5 years in prison and if you protest your self you can go to jail and get forced to work or they will kill you witch is very unfair because I think they should be allowed to speak up and say there personal opinion.