#25 The other 10%

12 March 2021

Skill Solid Numeracy

Winners Announced!

Thank you to everyone who shared their good news stories this week - it’s been fantastic to read about so many positive things. Our winners this time are:

poetic_passionfruit of Hammond Junior School, who let us know that the coral around Fiji is recovering after a big storm

and...

gentle_theory of Preston Manor School, who explained how people from Africa are being empowered to share their cultures and prevent stereotyping on Wikipedia.

These brilliant examples really stood out from the rest - well done both of you!

This half-term our Issue has a special focus on numeracy in the news - so all of our competitions are going to have something to do with numbers.

Did you know that 90% of all news reported is bad news? This means that only 10% isn't.

This is not because more bad things happen than good things, it's because people are more likely to look at bad news than good news - so more bad news is reported.

We would like your competition entries this week to help balance things out a bit. Your challenge is to tell us about a POSITIVE news story... in 20 words or less.

Try to make sure you mention the key points in your summary and don't forget: it needs to be GOOD NEWS!

Need some help to get going? Pick one of these sentence starters:

The good news story I heard about was...

I heard a news story about...

The story I have chosen is...

The deadline for entries is Friday March 12th at midday. PLEASE ENTER ONLY ONCE and make sure your work is your own. Good luck!

Comments (37)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!