Standpoint tips from our experts!

This week we hosted an exclusive event for Topical Talk Festival schools and some of our experts.

We asked three of our experts – Matthew Ball, Tina Brown, Clover Hogan – and one of our Standpoint judges, Harriet Shawcross, to share their ideas about how to create successful Standpoints… and their advice did not disappoint.

Don’t worry if you couldn’t make the event – you can catch up on everything the video below.

Comments (10)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Top three things learned from the experts:

1. Matthew Ball emphasized the importance of having a clear and concise argument in a Standpoint, supported by evidence and examples.

2. Tina Brown highlighted the need to understand one's audience and tailor the language and tone accordingly, while also being willing to take risks and challenge conventional wisdom.

3. Clover Hogan stressed the significance of crafting a personal narrative and drawing from one's own experiences to add authenticity and emotional resonance to a Standpoint.

The top tip that might help with creating a successful Standpoint would depend on the individual's strengths and weaknesses, but overall, having a clear and persuasive argument supported by evidence seems to be crucial.

To make a Standpoint stand out, it's important to choose a topic that is timely and relevant, and to approach it from a unique angle or perspective. Drawing from personal experiences, as well as incorporating visual aids or multimedia elements, could also help capture the reader's attention and engage them on an emotional level.

• Hello there! . Here are my answers to your questions,

Top three things I learned:

1. Be clear about what you want to say. When you're writing a Standpoint, it's important to know what message you want to convey. This will help guide you as you write and make sure everything you say supports your main idea.

2. Use examples and evidence to back up your ideas. When you're trying to convince someone of something, it's helpful to have proof to support your argument. Using examples and evidence can help make your Standpoint stronger and more persuasive.

3. Consider your audience. Depending on who you're writing for, you may need to adjust your language or tone to make sure your Standpoint is well received. Think about who you're addressing and what they care about when crafting your message.

Top tip that will help me most with my Standpoint:

For me, the top tip that will be most helpful is to use examples and evidence to back up my ideas. This will help me persuade others that my point of view is valid and worth considering.

Top tip for other Topical Talkers:

If you want your Standpoint to stand out, try to make it interesting and engaging. Use descriptive language and vivid imagery to paint a picture in your reader's mind. And don't forget to speak from the heart -- if you're passionate about your topic, it will show in your writing!

• How can you improve communication and interaction with others? Here we highlight five useful steps that can help us strengthen connections and avoid mistakes.

"There is no such thing as a conversation," novelist and literary critic Rebecca West said in her collection of short stories, The Harsh Voice. West believes that our words simply pass over the words of others without any deep communication between the two parties.

Who among us did not sympathize with this feeling at some point in his life? Whether we're having a small talk with a bartender in a bar, or meeting up with a close friend, we might hope for a better connection, only to end the conversation feeling like our minds failed to meet.

The pandemic has certainly heightened our awareness of these sensations. After long periods of isolation, we have become more eager for social contact than ever before, and it is even disappointing to feel that there is a void between us and others, even after the physical distancing measures have been canceled.

If this is true for you, then you may benefit greatly from this article. Over the past few years, psychologists who study the art of conversation have identified many barriers that stand in the way of better and deeper communication, identified ways to remove these barriers, and advised five steps to improve conversation with others.

• My advice to others in expressing their point of view is:
    Everyone has a point of view and an idea that differs from others and sees things through a different lens from the lenses of others, so do not be shy, be brave and express your point of view, no matter how different it is from others. .
    "It does not mean that you have a different idea that you are wrong or that everyone is right and you are wrong, that means that you are distinguished."
    Feel free to express your point of view as long as you do not harm others and do not degrade anyone's dignity.

• The three things I learned are:
    1- Respecting the point of view of others, no matter how different it is with me.
    2- The more points of view there are, the higher the level of culture and awareness of the individual, and the greater his vision of the subject and his study from several angles.
    3- The topics that are raised discuss important issues, whether from an economic or environmental point of view, or were related to the state or people, and all of these issues increase the degree of awareness of the environment that surrounds us and how to deal with issues wisely.

• To write an opinion, you need expression, and we will not disagree on the topic of expression. Each person has his own opinion and expression, and we also need scientific evidence or evidence that this thing happened or did, because when a person reads your opinion, he must be persuaded that the opinion is correct. We need existing evidence, not inventing evidence from us. My colleagues, no. Show your opinion and make it win. You must follow the rules given by Topical Tolk to you in order to guarantee victory. Use your teacher. The teacher also has experiences and search for good information on the topics. I really hope to win. I made 3 opinions and I look forward to one of my opinions being a winner. The Earth is titled (Will Earth Day create a new life?) I made a topic about metaphysics titled (Metaverse of the Future Generation), and I made a topic about artificial intelligence entitled (Will artificial intelligence affect other meanings?) And I really received a great and beautiful interaction from everyone, and I want everyone to They go and see an opinion, and I am really happy that you express your opinion, so we care about you. I really hope to win, and I wish everyone good luck.

• I am really happy that I participated in this competition. I learned a lot from the experts in this competition. I learned from Clover Hogan how to deal with the environment, how to preserve the earth and the climate from pollution, and I learned from Tina Brown to be a successful woman at work, and I do not care about the society in which I live, which supports that women must To take care of her home and not her work, and I learned from Matthew Paul the balance between reality and addiction to social networking sites. The competition also benefited me in general, such as 1. To listen to the opinion of others, even if it is contrary to mine 2. My knowledge of the English language increased and I spoke more fluently 3. Expression of opinion The advice that I give to the speakers is that they have confidence and not be afraid of the opinion of others and feel sad if no one likes his opinion or topic and not give up and that his situation is immovableI would like to thank all the experts and everyone who contributed to this great contest

• Top three things to consider for creating successful Standpoints:
    1. Authenticity - Speak from personal experience or a unique perspective that is true to yourself.
    2. Clarity - Clearly articulate your viewpoint and support it with relevant evidence and examples.
    3. Relevance - Ensure that your standpoint is timely and connects with current events or issues.

Top tip for creating your Standpoint:
    Focus on a specific issue that you are passionate about and frame it in a way that will resonate with your audience. Use personal anecdotes or examples to illustrate your point and make it more relatable.

Top tip for other Topical Talkers:
    Research and prepare thoroughly before presenting your opinion. Practice speaking confidently and articulately, and be open to hearing different perspectives and engaging in respectful dialogue.

• I learned alot. in this festival. Firstly. I was having difficulties, so I didn't like the idea, and then I became creative and my self-confidence increased
    And I learned many skills, including speaking and listening, and the most important skill of expression, which helped me build my self-confidence and develop writing and reading skills aloud, so that the student speaks audibly and in a sound language.
    Preparing the learner to integrate into society by employing expression skills in real-life situations. Emotional goals: A- Developing the student's linguistic sense, and thus he has the ability to express his idea in a proper manner.

• Thank you, I knew a lot about views, it was very useful
    There are some things I can share with you
    To create a successful point of view for students, you can focus on a specific topic and provide clear, evidence-supported ideas. You can also include comments from experts or people with subject matter expertise. This will help make your point of view more credible and interesting.
    Also, I think that this competition is very useful and we know a lot of information from it