Josie Verghese

Festival2024_Expert-Banners-3

Josie has worked for the BBC for 20 years. As assistant editor for BBC News, she leads the award-winning BBC Young Reporter media literacy project and focuses on sourcing and commissioning stories from underserved and unheard young audiences.

Josie is a Festival topic expert on women in media.

Comments (6)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• If I could meet Josie Verghese . I would ask her several questions :

1. How can media organizations break the "glass ceiling" for women in leadership positions?
    2. How can media organizations ensure fair and responsible coverage of women's issues?
    3. What factors contribute to the gender pay gap in the media industry? and how can it be addressed?

• Hi, if i could meet Josie Verghese, i would ask her what advice would give to young girls who are being maltreated and treated unfairly

• I seriously like people such as you. I like asking experts question even though there is no response because when I get to ask question, I get what the message is trying to pass to us. So, my question is, do you plan on helping those who are not heard, what I want to know is how you help them. I really like learning and asking question. Where you among those who not heard, then wanted to help others in the future. What cause the issue of someone not being heard. What causes it? I will actually want to know so if I see anything like that in my society, I will stop it from getting worse. I get courage from people like you. Thank you.

• I have seen many people in this festivals who work at the BBC News with different aims, achievement with different news, information, fact about particular event and stories. But my question now is that do all of you work together to provide trusted world news as well as the local and regional view point, and also to entertain many people? And I would also like to know how do you source commission stories from underserved and unheard young audiences is it with technological advancement or with your special, unique abilities?

• I would ask Josie about her experience working with underserved and unheard young audiences. How does she ensure their voices are heard and represented in the media? What strategies does she use to engage with these audiences and encourage them to share their stories?

• Hi, there.
    If I had the opportunity to meet Josie Varghese, a festival topic expert on women in media, I would ask her what steps should be taken to eliminate all forms of discrimination against women in the media. I also asked him whether the media can be a mouthpiece for women's progress. Also, what kind of laws should be implemented to stop violence against women and bring equality between men and women in the society?
    Thanks a lot.