Can Gender Equality Solve Poverty?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images7

MY STANDPOINT: CAN GENDER EQUALITY SOLVE POVERTY?

Hello Topical Talkers,

Today I want to talk about poverty and gender (in)equality. Although these seem like different issues that need to be tackled with different solutions, I think that solving the issue of gender inequality first can decrease poverty rates. Here is my thinking, starting with definitions.

WHAT IS POVERTY?

Poverty is a condition where people or households lack the financial (relating to finance) resources to meet their basic needs, such as food, shelter, and clothing. It is a complex issue that affects millions of people around the world, especially in developing countries. Poverty is linked to a lack of education, healthcare, job opportunities, and social support.

WHAT IS GENDER (IN)EQUALITY?

Gender equality refers to equal rights and opportunities for men and women in all aspects of life, including education (school), employment (work), healthcare (medicine, dentistry, clinical psychology, public health, etc), and politics (governments and elections). It is about creating a level playing field where both genders have the same chances to succeed. Gender inequality, on the other hand, refers to the unequal treatment of men and women based on their gender.

ARE THESE SERIOUS ISSUES?

Both poverty and gender inequality are serious issues that have a profound impact on individuals, families, and societies. Poverty can lead to social exclusion, poor health, and limited access to education and job opportunities. Gender inequality can result in discrimination, violence, and limited opportunities for women to reach their full potential.

HOW CAN GENDER EQUALITY DECREASE POVERTY RATES?

Gender equality can play a significant role in reducing poverty. When women are empowered and given equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities, they are better equipped to support themselves and their families. This means that families with empowered women are less likely to live in poverty. In addition, studies have shown that when women have control over household income, they tend to invest more in their children's education and health, which can break the cycle of poverty in the long term (because in the "What is Poverty" section, we discussed that poverty is linked to a lack of education and limited healthcare services). Gender equality also leads to a reduction in violence against women and girls, which can have a positive impact on their physical and mental health, as well as their ability to earn a living.

YOU PROVED YOUR POINT, BUT HOW DO WE IMPROVE GENDER INEQUALITY IN THE FIRST PLACE?

There are several ways that we can improve gender equality. One is to increase access to education and job opportunities for women. This can be achieved by providing scholarships, vocational training, and mentoring programs. Another way is to promote equal pay and working conditions for men and women. This can be done through legislation and policies that enforce equal pay for equal work. Additionally, we can work to eliminate gender stereotypes and biases that reinforce gender inequality in our society.

MY CONCLUSION: GENDER EQUALITY CAN SOLVE POVERTY.

In conclusion, poverty and gender inequality are major issues that need to be addressed to create a more just and equitable society. Gender equality can play a significant role in reducing poverty by empowering women and ensuring that they have access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities. By promoting gender equality, we can create a world where everyone has the opportunity to reach their full potential, regardless of their gender.

Thank you for reading, and what do you think?

Comments (3)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Hello everyone! I hope you all are well and healthy. In this piece of writing, I will be discussing whether Gender equality will solve the problem of poverty!

In my opinion, i believe that gender inequality has nothing to do with people living in poverty. The people living in poverty are either unemployed, their partner kicked them out or they lost their money for any type of reason. For any reason it is, they have no money and they have no choice but to live on the streets in the freezing cold or boiling hot weather. I am just a bit confused on how Gender inequality has anything to do with people living in poverty.

Gender inequality is when people are not treated right because of their gender. Now if this is what Gender inequality means, than someone please explain to me how this has anything to do with poverty. Now for those people saying that people in poverty should just get out and get a job, they basically can't as they have probably lived in poverty for a while and they also have probably not showered therefore they will have a strong nasty scent when they even walk into the shop. Because of this, the staff will probably shoo them out of the shop as it shoes a bad example.

I think I am going to leave it here but please do remember that this is my opinion and you are all free to disagree. Have a good day and i hope you will all understand my point of view.

• YES i believe that gender equality will solve poverty and all of these problems. Because everyone should be treated the same and that women and men are paid the same if they have the same job. This is unfair because many women do not want to do house chores. Many want to earn money for their family. Luckily in most countries this doesn't do this. But many people think it is the women's job to look after children. Although women should feel free what they want to do.
    thank you

• I agree with you that gender equality can help reduce poverty to some extent. The reason why I said so is because women are often skilled and trained and can contribute to the growth of businesses or organizations with their capabilities. However due to gender discrimination, they are often not giving the opportunity to showcase their skills. If they were given the chance they can increase the economic status of a country, business or organization to a higher level. This can lead to more job opportunities and increased income for the community or country. Therefore in my opinion gender equality can reduce poverty