Nepotism for the Good?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Most people know nepotism to be Negative and that is wrong. There are multiple ways a qualified person can get a job, even through nepotism! Some so many qualified people are jobless, they didn't do anything wrong but yet they don't have a job. At times like that, having connections would be your best bet. Instances like these are the benefits of nepotism, not favouring, not unfairness, but Nepotism.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, Nepotism is the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs. Nepotism can take place in aspects like; business, politics, academia, entertainment, sports, religion, and other activities.

Let's talk about nepotism in the workplace- If a staff in a high position or a boss hires someone he/she has a personal relationship with, some factors need to be considered:

Is the person being hired qualified for the job?

Were they qualified job applicants that were ignored because he/she had someone in mind?

Questions like these determine whether the nepotism taken place was positive or negative. It is natural to help family members out so giving a family member a job shouldn't be considered wrong, should it?

We may not all know, but nepotism is legal. Although it has lots of downsides, it could also help some deserving people. Do you think nepotism should be legal and why?

Nepotism also takes place in entertainment. This can be seen with actors and singers when their friends or family get into show business because of their relationship with that celebrity. This happens all the time but no one calls it nepotism, meanwhile it is. For instance, Will Smith. He is a father of three children, and all of those three are celebrities. this isn't a bad thing but it is also nepotism. This is because they got their fame because of their father. If their dad was a regular person, there would be less of a chance that all three of his children will be where they are now.

What we call nepotism is what some others call "bringing others up" or "helping a friend out" and sometimes, they are actually being done positively and with good intentions only and it still is nepotism.

With all these being said and all my points considered, I hope you now believe nepotism can be positive.

Do you think nepotism should be completely legal? Please share your opinions

Thank you.

Comments (4)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I strongly disagree with nepotism and it should not be made legal because it can make people feel sad, unhappy, undervalued, and unloved. When someone is treated unfairly because of nepotism, it means they might not be chosen or appreciated for their skills and abilities. This can make them feel really down and not important.
    What's even worse is that some people who practice nepotism don't even consider the opinions of the person's family or other workers. They make decisions based only on their personal connections, without thinking about what is fair or right. This can hurt a lot of people and create a bad environment.
    That's why I believe nepotism is not good at all; in fact, it is bad. It causes negative feelings and treats people unfairly. We should always value everyone's skills and talents and give them opportunities based on their abilities, not just because they are related to someone important. Fairness and equal treatment are important for everyone to feel happy and respected.

1. The thing is, nepotism can be used positively and negatively. Just because they are so many ways it can be used negatively and because it is mostly used negatively doesn't make it negative. For example; Drugs, they are used to help, heal the sick, reduce pain, slow down disease spreading, and even prevent diseases, but there are so many people, millions and more, that use drugs wrongly, they can use them to make people unconscious in illegal acts like kidnapping, they could use it to kill or poison people, they could even use it for their own personal satisfaction due to addiction, but does that mean drugs are completely bad? Should it be banned although it could be both an advantage and disadvantage to every being on this earth?

I never said nepotism is right, I only said it can be right. Nepotism being negative is at the fault of those in high power that only use it for their own benefits. Many powerful good people would have used nepotism for the better.

Life has its ups and downs. What benefits someone or a group of people can demerit someone or another group of people. If it was that easy to benefit two sides, we wouldn't have issues like poverty, food scarcity, and crimes.

Let's try and put things in your own shoes. You are the CEO of a big company well known to others, and there is a job opening. You could either hire someone you know personally, let's say your older brother (who is qualified for the job) or, you could hire a job applicant who has the same level of qualification as your older brother. Realistically speaking, I and most people that have a good relationship with their older brother will pick him, just because of the bond they have and the assurance that your brother is qualified for the job due to your personal connection and experience with his level of capacity.
      In that instance, no matter who was selected for the job, it would have been unfair to someone

A good reference to positive nepotism would be Margaret Thatcher who was sponsored by a previous colleague (Airey Neave) while she was a barrister-in-training at Lincoln's Inn in London. He knew her competence and helped her to become the first female prime minister and also the longest-serving prime minister of the United Kingdom. As prime minister, she implemented economic policies that became known as Thatcherism.

From this real-life instance, nepotism brought about Margaret Thatcher, who made a huge benefit to the UK and women too. She had a good record and made many benefits and history to the UK.

If nepotism hadn't taken place, Margaret may have not been a prime minister, and some problems she solved may have still been occurring till date. Things like the cold war may have not ended or ended on time.

Our environment is what brings people up. Nepotism takes place negatively due to the people in power that are not competent enough to do the right thing.

With all I have said, I hope I have been able to convince and not confuse you that nepotism can be positive.

• When a person can do anything just to satisfy his family and friends, he is allowed to do so, but he is not allowed to deal with nepotism....
    This is due to the seriousness of that thing and because it is illegal, except that it oppresses the people who stayed for many years studying to obtain a higher degree and good competence to work in a job that deserves this fatigue, but what? The one who deals with nepotism comes and takes away that right that he has long dreamed of.
    I will ask a question, is nepotism good based on what you said above? Of course not, which is not a very good thing.
    I hope that those who deal with nepotism will be arrested because in the future no one will study and learn to work because they will simply work with nepotism, fraud and nepotism.

• I do not agree with you because nepotism is not good and cannot be made legal, because it causes a lot of problems and because it is dangerous, and I do not think that robbing people of their rights is a natural and legal thing, so I think you are somewhat mistaken, except that nepotism does not make the work good, but rather bad, and because the person who is wronged and robbed His rights make him miserable and unhappy.
    I hope that people do not deal with nepotism because it is capable of destroying our lives and turning them upside down.
    Therefore, those who deal with nepotism must be prosecuted and arrested.

1. I have viewed your opinions, but yet strongly disagree. My comment in response to harmonious_river, states, and example of positive nepotism in real life, so are you trying to imply that what Airey Neave did to help Margaret Thatcher was wrong although she had outstanding behaviours and contributions to the economy of the UK?
      Saying that all who took place in nepotism is depriving some others of their right is wrong to me, especially if they did it positively. Someone who applied for a job and didn't get hired because the owner of the company had someone better in mind cannot be deprived of their rights. Thousands of people get their job applications rejected and this happens daily, so why should the person that got selected over the job applicant be wrong just because he has connections, especially if he has the same or even higher qualifications than the applicant?

Two people can do the same thing and one person would end up positive and the other negative.

With all this being said, I believe nepotism should remain legal because it can be right and I hope you do too.

Thank you for your comment on my standpoint peaceful_hen!

1. I strongly disagree with you because nepotism is simply taking chances from others, but if the person who is to be employed has sufficient experience and high efficiency, this is also nepotism, but not when a person who has neither experience nor competence is employed and the one who has experience is fired, but this does not mean that it is legal. Those who do this must certainly be punished.

• I strongly disagree with nepotism because it can make people feel sad, unhappy, undervalued, and unloved. When someone is treated unfairly because of nepotism, it means they might not be chosen or appreciated for their skills and abilities. This can make them feel really down and not important.
    What's even worse is that some people who practice nepotism don't even consider the opinions of the person's family or other workers. They make decisions based only on their personal connections, without thinking about what is fair or right. This can hurt a lot of people and create a bad environment.
    That's why I believe nepotism is not good at all; in fact, it is bad. It causes negative feelings and treats people unfairly. We should always value everyone's skills and talents and give them opportunities based on their abilities, not just because they are related to someone important. Fairness and equal treatment are important for everyone to feel happy and respected.