Politics Behind Indian Election System.

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

This topic is important for me not only as an Indian but also because equality is the right for everyone living on this world be it OBC or minorities. This year's election is mind blowing! There are around 968 million eligible voters and around 15 million polling staff. This election is going to be one of the longest running election starting from April 19 till June 1 to elect the 543 members of the 18th Lok sabha held in seven stages, the result of this election will be declared on 4 June. The Indian election is a concern for many countries as India is an important source of trade and also world's largest democracy.

Divide and Rule

The current Prime Minister Narendra Modi is from the political party (BJP). The project of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh Hindutva was becoming successful after his leadership as a PM since 2014. The (BJP) party in Bihar made the first ever caste census. The survey found out around 130 million people of the state population belong to the 'backward class'(OBC). Most of them were Muslim minorities and support opposite party of (BJP).This was the biggest inequality on the bases of class. To support OBC the (INC) party host rallies in Shivaji Park, Mumbai on 17 March,24 . Ganggu Bai, a 40-year-old cook who lives in Mumbai’s Dharavi – one of the world’s largest slum clusters made famous globally by the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire – was among those at the Sunday rally.“I am here to support the future of our country. and women’s rights,” she said. “This event gives me hope and feels like it is actually for the people of India,” she added. Even after so many things happening why is Modi so famous? Why are people supporting him and forgetting the sacrifice of freedom fighters for diversity?
My Opinion

I think Unity in diversity of India teaches us that though we are from different caste, creeds these differences could not keep us apart, and also we must support each other for the betterment of our nation.
This was the only motto which Mahatma Gandhi the father of our nation wanted to made us understand he even said "Religion is one tree with many branches. As branches you may say, religions are many, but as a tree religion is only one." Even Jawaharlal Nehru (first Prime Minister of India) said "If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the government and from the outside." We must always remember these saying of great leaders and do not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed, and class.

Thankyou.

Comments (2)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Ghandi was a very inspirational figure and even though I am of a different religion I still feel he was a very peaceful and wonderful person he inspired and inspires many people today, whether Religious, Unreligious, Hinduist, Christian or Muslim he was still the most peaceful person I know, and he taught me that we should never base someone on their religion, class or creed.

• The Indian election system is a complex tapestry of democracy, reflecting the nation’s diversity and political dynamism. The recent elections have highlighted the intricate interplay of caste, class, and religion in shaping political outcomes1. The BJP’s strategy, particularly under Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s leadership, has been scrutinized for its impact on social harmony and minority rights1. Meanwhile, the sheer scale of the electoral process, with millions of voters and a multi-stage voting period, underscores the logistical prowess and democratic spirit of India1. Yet, the system is not without its challenges, such as the ‘first-past-the-post’ mechanism, which can lead to disproportionate representation2. As the world’s largest democracy, India’s election system is a formidable level in the global political arena, demanding continuous vigilance and participation to uphold its foundational values of equality and justice.