#36 A royal treat!

01 June 2022

Winners announced!

Thank you for sharing all your ideas on which tasty treats that you would bring to tea with the Queen! There have been some great comments! But there can only be two winners... and this time they are:

sympathetic_swan of Cheam Fields Primary Academy in the United Kingdom who would take strawberries and cream to tea with the Queen!

and

amazing_reflection of Shohour High Public School in Lebanon who would bring a fruit filled chocolate cake shaped like a crown!

Well done!

Competition Rules

Welcome to the competition! There are three important rules:

1. DON'T COPY OTHER STUDENTS
  2. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
  3. ENTRIES MUST BE THREE SENTENCES OR LESS

If you don't follow the rules, you will not be able to win and your account may be deactivated.

This competition will close on Wednesday 1st June for judging! We will announce two winners on Thursday 2nd June. Good luck!

The Competition

In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee after 70 years of service.

People are celebrating the jubilee in lots of different ways, for example, by opening new train lines, having a national holiday and throwing street parties!

Your challenge this week is to imagine that you are having a tea party with Queen Elizabeth II and the rest of the British royal family. They have asked you to bring a tasty treat with you... so what will you choose? Sweet or savoury?

Comment below with the food you'd take and the reason why you've chosen it.

For example, is it a dish that's special to your country? Is it something you love to eat? Or does it contain any special ingredients?

This week, we are judging you on your descriptions. So think about your words carefully.

Top Tips
  • Read the other entries first and try to choose something that hasn't already been said
  • Make your entry personal to you - there are no wrong answers
  • Describe your idea thoroughly and make sure it sounds delicious!

Comments (19)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Savarina is what I choose.It is a sweet Romania cake that is medium sized and smothered in syrup . It is then cut in half and whipped cream is added in the middle. At the top you put clear red jam, you need a fork and a big appetite to finish one.

• Pilaf rice is what I would choose. It is a dish with rice and beef and served with some vegetables so it's very healthy.

• Basbousa is what I chose: it is a delightful Sudanese round or squared cake. It is coated with a sugar and water mix on top and coconut, which is optional. Often there are pistachio nuts or almond nuts on top of the cake.

• I choose a Classic Italian Pizza because of its Italian origin consisting of a flattened disk of bread dough topped with some combination of olive oil, oregano, tomato, olives, mozzarella or other cheese, and many other ingredients, baked quickly—usually, in a commercial setting, using a wood-fired oven heated to a very high temperature—and served hot. This is why I chose a classical Italian Pizza!

• I would bring a mouthwatering fruit tart. It is how it sounds but even better. A soft but crunchy biscuit and fresh fruit with a sugary glaze above are perfect for royalty.

• I chose Jerk chicken.This is a savoury that is usually made with rice.Its grand and salty but has spice that smoothens your tough .This specific food is made in Jamaica,a small island located underneath North America .The word jerk was originated spanish charqui.

• I chose Grilled chicken. I chose grilled chicken because it is low in calories, low in fat and has a high nutritional value. It is also a great source of protein and grilling isn't just a tradition it also can be one of the healthiest ways to cook.

• Dhal and rice is what I choose. Dhal and rice is a Tempting and Delightful dish and is one of my traditional dishes from my home country (Pakistan). It is made with delicious and spicy red lentils and I'm sure it would be new to the Queen!

• I chose gulab jamun as it is the national dessert in Pakistan. It is sweet and it is made of milk powder, rose water, lemon juice, plain flour and natural yogurt. It is really sweet and mouth watering and I chose this since it is one of my favourite sweets, but you should not really eat too many since it has a huge amount of sugar in it.

• To begin with, I would like to say, this is not a way of saying that any other answers are wrong in this competition but I genuinely believe this answer is a really good option for this tea party. In my opinion, I would bring Fufu to this tea party as a tasty treat because it is a very common meal for African people and on top of this, it can be dipped in a variety of sauces or stews such as: fish, meat or vegetables. To conclude, I would like to say that there are many ways Fufu is made for example: it can be made from cassava, sweet potatoes/yam or plantains resulting in and leaving you with a very full belly.

• I would a sweet dish like chocolate cake because chocolate cake is one of the Queens favourite food. Linking onto this she really likes chocolate.

• The sweet I will take is KHEER. Its my country PAKISTAN famous sweet. And I also love to eat. It contains special ingredients milk,rice,sugar,khoya and green cardamom. I'm sure it would be new and fantastic flavour to the Queen.

• I will chose to go with cooked meat and vegetables, strawberries and peaches and earl gray tea

• I would like to bring boiled plantain with kontomire at the tea party. This delicious recipe is commonly in Ghana. When you come to Ghana one of our present food is the veriety of leaf vegetables and local herbs and spices. The highly nutritious kontomire stew is made from boiled tender cocoyam leaves, salted fish and boiled eggs and goes perfectly with boiled plantain and avacado. I really like enjoying this meal because is v

• I choose a common African dish called 'Couscous', its like rice but the grains are way smaller, making it very good to eat if you want to save room for dessert and it is very delicous as you can cook it with different things like eggs, sausages and meat. And with its diverse African Culture, it is a very well-known dish, known especially in the North-African to parts of West-African countries (Like Nigeria-My Home country) I really think that this dish will really entice the Queen who is a very well respected person on the Earth.

• I choose Gol Gappa: Because its a most favourite and special food of Pakistani people.Everyone love it so much.Gol gappa consists of crispy puri filled with boiled potatoes, onions, chickpeas, tamarind, and mint chutney, and sprinkled with chaat masala, and chili powder. They are accompanied by a bowl of sour-spicy liquid that is poured into each individual gol gappa while eating.When it is put into mouth its crunch crunch sound make it more delicious.I am 100% sure that its new and amazing dish for the Queen.

• I would go with Hibiscus-tangerine iced tea, blueberry muffins with crumb topping and green grapes. I chose hibiscus-tangerined iced tea because of its nutritional value to our body and also, British love hibiscus tea and mostly fruit such as tangerines and that's why I thought of giving the Queen Elizabeth II would be a good idea and also for the other dishes I prepared, they were all dishes that are mostly love by the British and greengrapes have actually been ranked as the most marketable climbing fruit plant as it is also used in making wines.

• I would of chosen strawberries and cream. I would of chosen this because strawberries are delicious and good for our body and cream would just make it tastier. Also it is the queens favourite food.

• As in Lebanon eating sweets is one of the habits that we do in special events, so of course meeting queen Elizabeth would make me bring some sweets. This sweet will be a chocolate cake full of fruits especially strawberries as I read once that The Queen loves strawberries a lot, so this cake also would be topped with golden cream as a symbol of the majesty of the queen, I would like also to put on the cake number 70 that represents the years the queen has been on the throne and we would celebrate it, moreover I would like to make cake shaped as a crown to be a special edit for her.