Artists are not happy with the existence of AI

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Among Artists is author and illustrator Rob Biddulph, who says that AI-generated art “is the exact opposite of what I believe art to be. Fundamentally, I have always felt that art is all about translating something that you feel internally into something that exists externally".

AI art appears to be a particular threat to digital artists. Part of this is because these creators tend to produce large bodies of content, meaning that datasets will have access to huge amounts of information on their style.

AI and Photoshop: Collaboration for High-Impact Art

In recent years, the use of AI with Photoshop to create high-impact art has become increasingly common. AI can be used in several ways with Photoshop, from improving the quality of existing images to creating completely new images.

There has been an explosion of software that uses AI to generate artwork on the fly. Now, working artists say these systems are unethical because they trained using artists work, and without their permission.

At the moment, most AI-generated art falls well short of the standards set by human artists. But as the technology rapidly advances, there's real concern that it will quickly become sophisticated enough to make creative professionals obsolete, or at least disrupt the economic model that makes art a viable career.

A user can ask the system to produce an image, such as “a cat in the style of Van Gogh,” and the AI tool will quickly do so. That makes living artists worry that their works will be copied without their permission. Two new legal actions, or lawsuits, have been brought against the AI companies creating the images.

While AI can automate many tasks, it cannot replace the human experience of creativity and emotion, at least not yet. Therefore, it is important to view AI as a tool that can assist and augment human creativity and workmanship rather than a replacement for it.

While AI technology has made significant progress in generating visual and audio content, it still lacks the creativity and human touch that is intrinsic to art. Moreover, artists bring their own unique perspectives and emotions to their work, which AI apps cannot replicate.

Comments (13)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• The concerns raised by artists regarding AI-generated art are valid and reflect their belief in the value of human creativity and expression. Many artists view art as a deeply personal and introspective process, involving the translation of internal emotions and experiences into external forms. They may feel that AI-generated art lacks the human touch, individuality, and emotional depth that they strive to convey through their work.

The use of AI with software like Photoshop has indeed become more prevalent, offering new possibilities for enhancing and creating images. However, concerns arise when AI systems are trained using artists' works without their permission. This raises ethical questions about ownership, copyright, and the potential for unauthorized replication or distribution of artists' creations.

While AI-generated art has yet to reach the level of human artistic standards, there is a growing concern that as the technology advances, it may disrupt the economic model of the art industry or make creative professionals obsolete. This uncertainty prompts artists to consider the implications of AI for their livelihoods and the future of art as a viable career.

It's important to recognize that AI is a tool that can assist and augment human creativity rather than replace it entirely. AI can automate certain tasks and generate content, but it cannot replicate the depth of human experience, emotions, and perspectives that artists bring to their work. The uniqueness and personal touch that artists contribute to their creations remain invaluable.

As AI technology continues to evolve, it is crucial to strike a balance between embracing its potential benefits while also upholding the integrity and value of human creativity. Artists and the broader society should actively engage in discussions about ethical considerations, copyright protection, and the role of AI in the art world to ensure that artists' rights are respected and that the art industry remains a vibrant and viable creative field.

• I like your post especially what you said about AI being able to automate many tasks but still it cannot replace humans creativity and emotion.
    We should not see AI as a replacement for humans instead we should see it as a tool that can augment human creativity,we should work harder as humans so that AI would not replace us.we as humans should be more creative and come up with new technologies. I have learnt a lot from your post.

• Yes, I agree with you, but that artificial intelligence has not made artists happy.But artificial intelligence helps them in many things, such as: If there are some things in the artist’s drawings that are difficult for him to draw, then he will use artificial intelligence, so the artificial intelligence will draw this drawing, but I am not saying that the artist makes copy and paste of the drawing, as the artificial intelligence gives him an idea about it to draw it. And artificial intelligence can draw me or your drawing, but also artificial intelligence must leave a defect in our image, especially in drawing the ear and eye. As you can see, artificial intelligence has advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, artificial intelligence should establish a law not to steal any drawing or image that it does. Many people no longer buy drawings, but rather print and hang them, but there are still people who like to buy paintings and like to put them in decor. And they love contemplating the beauty and the amount of fatigue that the artist has tired. Artificial intelligence made our lives easier, but some people may see this facilitation as a difficulty because not all people have knowledge of how to use it.
    Thank you. This is my comment on your point of view.

• I find it completely valid that artists are not happy with the existence of AI.Most of the time,AI might gain ideas from the artists who put so much effort into their works and yet no credit whatsoever is given to the artist,this alone is a good reason to be upset.
    Another thing I would like to mention is that I don't believe that AI will ever be on the same level as the natural skills of a human being and yet AI art is sometimes placed at a higher value than the artist's work.
    It only takes one click of the finger to make AI art but REAL art takes time,effort and precision.

• Yes, either I spend with you that artists are never happy with the existence of arts because it takes the place of fame more than human intelligence, but I think that human art is more beautiful than artificial intelligence because human art feels it and there are feelings in it, whether they are love, joy or sadness in the drawing, so intelligence cannot Artificial work like human art..

• I think that AI is not such a good idea as people could cheat or people could lose there job because of AI as people would take advantage of it. Also in school we have done this thing were we had to draw a cat in a dress playing football and all of us looked hideous and when someone asked AI instead of three minutes because we have done that but when AI did it they did it in three seconds to with many to pick and that is why AI might take people's jobs as an artist and be replaced by technology.

• Art is expression of one's feelings,some artist enjoy the creation of AI, while others see it as a machine that stole their artwork and craft. The majority of concerns are focused on the datasets that are used to create the AI art. Datasets use copyrighted images, and generally, artists don't like that their artwork is used without their consent.

1. You raise a valid point about the concerns regarding AI-generated art and the use of copyrighted images in datasets. Art is indeed an expression of one's feelings, and opinions among artists regarding AI's role in the creative process can vary.

On one hand, some artists find joy and fascination in the collaboration between human creativity and AI technology. They may see AI as a tool that can inspire new ideas, assist in the artistic process, or even produce unique and innovative artworks.

On the other hand, there are artists who feel that AI-generated art encroaches upon their craft and diminishes the value of their own original works. Concerns about the use of copyrighted images in datasets are valid, as artists want their work to be respected and protected. Unauthorized use of copyrighted material without proper consent or attribution is ethically and legally problematic.

To address these concerns, it is important for AI developers, researchers, and artists to have discussions and establish ethical guidelines for the use of datasets. Respect for intellectual property rights and obtaining proper permissions and licenses for copyrighted material should be paramount. Additionally, giving credit and acknowledging the contributions of human artists in the creation of AI-generated art can help mitigate some of the concerns related to the perceived theft of artistic work.

The evolving relationship between AI and art requires ongoing dialogue and collaboration among artists, AI developers, and the wider artistic community. By addressing these concerns and fostering a respectful and ethical approach, it is possible to find a balance that respects both the creative potential of AI and the rights of human artists.

• I understand that not all artist want AI to exist , AI is making them look bad since they can't paint in a few seconds and make a master piece . AI sometimes do take artist ideas , when my class saw a painting that the AI , we knew that they took Vincent Van Gogh because the colour of the painting is the style of Van Gogh .

• One of the drawbacks of artificial intelligence is that if it develops more than that, you will never find workers in the factories. The factories will work on machines, which leads to widespread unemployment, poverty, and a shortage of manpower, which leads to everything being done on machines, even in hospitals and in dangerous surgeries such as heart surgery. Open machines work to treat sick people, but while this is a good thing, it can also be a downside. When a glitch occurs in the machine, we can lose patients.

• The concern of AI in art is valid because with AI the future of person-generated art may die, and plagiarism will become common in art, as you can ask the generator, and it will generate an image using images it was based on, which may be a human-generated art piece.

• it cannot create humans activity and emotions

• I agree with your standpoint. AI technology can help devalue the effort and gimmick of an artist, as it can take away essential parts of their style and replicate it easily. This ultimately hurts the artist and makes their work less special and more general.

• We do not deny the existence of artificial intelligence with its pros and cons as well
    But I want to tell you that artificial intelligence is a beautiful invention that has added its dazzling touches to us.
    A few days ago, I saw how he was able, with his smart programs, to recover old and torn photos, whether of the living or the dead, and bring back the beautiful memories.
    And also other programs, how to make the image speak, as if the people we lost can emulate them again.
    Hats off to whoever did that in this respect.