The Power of Boycotts: Good or Bad?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images-Business-politics

Hello, Topical Talkers, and wow, after learning about business and politics and how they can effect our community was quite something. I discovered that boycotts are like protests against a business. It's when people decide not to buy their products to show that they don't agree with what the business is doing. Sometimes, businesses do things that harm the environment, like using bad stuff in their products or not getting rid of waste properly. That's when boycotts can step in to help.

But here's the thing: boycotts can have both good and bad effects. On the good side, they can protect the environment and make businesses change their ways. But on the bad side, they can sometimes make people lose their jobs if businesses close down because of them. And sometimes, they can even change how people treat each other. It's like when some friends join a boycott and others don't, and then they start treating each other differently. That's not cool.

So, it's important for people to be calm and respectful during boycotts. We shouldn't treat others badly if they don't want to join in. Everyone has their own reasons, and that's okay. Let's work together peacefully, whether we're boycotting or not, to make our world a better place.

Know I want to know is their any other way that boycotts are useful in the society and what other negative effects to boycotts also have one the society.

Comments (8)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• You've made a good point boycotts are actually carried out to call the attention of businesses to stop body are doing one. This is because some businesses are doing things that are how many the people or the environment and their attention needs to be called and if people call we are attention day refuse to listen so by cutting their materials or product is the easiest way to call their attention as such it can lead to opposite change because the businesses will not want to lose customers so they will listen to people's views and stop doing what they are doing which can bring back their customers and make them make profit.

• I agree that boycotts can sometimes have unintended negative effects. Some big businesses might not feel the impact if people stop buying their products. Instead, they might just lay off workers, which could make people lose their jobs. Sometimes, when people lose their jobs, it's hard for them to find new ones. So, it's important to think carefully before boycotting and find other ways to make companies listen without hurting anyone.

• solid points, however as enormous companies or business, they won’t be fully affected by boycotting since only a small percentage of the population actually boycotts. What compensates for that, is how many employees they get laid off just to decrease the amount of losses. Meaning that it doesn’t actually do anyone a favor, if only there was more of an effective way into pressuring large companies

• I think boycotts are good they are peaceful protests and they also alert companies that what their doing is wrong.People do boycotts for the following reasons:
    1 They want companies to stop some
    behaviors.
    2 To alert them.
    In my opinion boycotts have no negative effects

1. Well, that's not true all the time. Boycott may have several negative effects on business. Suppose you just made a controversial comment on any hot issue as a result you fall under the anger of the general mass and now, they want to boycott your products. What was your fault? Can't you have the freedom of expression? In this way, boycott might have negative effects. without doing any wrong, people started to boycott your products and you failed to provide the salary of the workers on time. So, a decision of the common people can almost have the power to destroy your business if the boycott is supported by the common people. If the common people don't support, it then boycott would not matter much in the business. Boycott is only effective when they got a huge response among the customers. So yes, boycott may have negative and bad effect on a business. For this reason, the common people need to think rationally before deciding to boycott any product.

• I think that boycotts are a very good way to make sure that you get exactly or almost exactly what you want to get.
    But if you go on a boycott for too long it can have a very negative effect on the society and you yourself.
    I admit boycotts are bad but I also still go with the fact that boycotts are good.
    THANK YOU.

• I agree with you boycotts can both have advantages and disadvantages some of the advantages are:

1. If businesses bring out smoke from their office and smoke is harmful to the environment boycotts can protest to stop the business.

2. If businesses like business that make paper cut down trees boycotts can also have a say in stoping the business.

Some of the disadvantages are:

1. As you said ambitious panther it can lead to loss of jobs if boycotts protest for a long time the business might decide to close the business and the workers wouldn't have a job.

2. If people in boycotts ask others to join and the people refuse the join it might lead to fights and more.

Let me answer your first question

If some people in the society don't have enough money to buy the product and they don't work a boycott can be started to reduce the price of the product. This means that boycotts are helpful to the society.

THANK YOU!

• I do think boycotts are good, as they are a form of peaceful protesting. Boycotts don't get anybody hurt but still get the word delivered which is better than other forms of protesting like marching and fasting.

• I think boycotts are both good and bad at the same time.

Positive impact :
    When we boycott any product or company, we tell them that we have problem with your products. We boycott any product when we think that the product is not good enough. So, when we boycott, we make sure that they will make better version of their products. Also, if their products are too costly, middle class people can't afford it. So, we boycott and they make the price low. Thus, everyone can buy it. Even, we can boycott a product if it is harmful for our environment. Like this, they will make their products more sustainable.

Negative impact :
    Boycotting any companies product will greatly affect the companies workers. If we don’t buy the products of them, they won't be able to make profit. So, they can't give their workers salary. It will affect the workers. They won't be able to buy their necessary things. They will starve.