ELECTION: CELEBRATION OR WAR!!

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images-Indian-election5

Greetings everyone! Election is a very vital part for common citizens like us as it empowers us to govern ourselves. It is in that sense a celebration of our political identity whereas it is not entirely pure as it also creates tensions and conflicts. This paradox is discussed below in detail.

Democracy derived from Greek words 'demos' and 'kratos' implies rule of people. It developed in ancient times with several republics like Vajjika (India), Greek city states and Rome practicing it. It was mostly based on consensus whereas the modern form of democracy involves choosing of representatives among contestants which is done by election. Hence election serves as a door to power for people due to which an ideal democracy is not possible without elections. Its principles and rules along with provision for fairness enable everyone to participate easily and assuredly. Even political leaders having personal interest have to work in interest of the people in fear of removal by them. During elections, media platforms review and discuss the wrongdoings and works of the government and different parties. These platforms are flooded with election news and discussions. Overall elections energize the participatory function of citizens which mostly isn’t observable due to disinterest and ignorance. So it turns out to be a celebration.

But it turns into war as divisive politics start. During election it is also energized. A party shows itself a hero and demeans other parties. Each party shows itself distinct almost like different brands competing for a product in the market. Speeches and campaigns turn roast battles and show of power. Vote bank politics start as parties try to gain votes of a single community in majority so as to win. Win by all means becomes the approach. Another harmful effect is that voters do not trust the parties. This happens as many false promises are made during the campaigns which may or may not be fulfilled. This does create disinterest.

The above arguments highlight this paradox. So the question of how to tackle it arises. No system is completely perfect and pure. Loopholes are always seen and exploited. This is accepted and hence either ignorance is shown which is harmful. But more harmful is spreading of misinformation and partisanship. We must not keep one viewpoint over an issue related to election as supreme. Other perspectives are to be accounted. We should not blindly follow a view. In a nutshell we should be aware and vigilant of things around us.

Comments (4)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• When I first heard about this topic it took me in glance of past when elections were like a celebration as well as a sign of danger and war in a peaceful country... elections are not just a way to select our leader but a responsibility that we handle to an appropriate candidate...if I talk about my country India this year elections will be organised,people from each relegion,caste,race are allowed to give their own vote to ensure country's responsibility in safe hands but at the same time sometimes this may lead to war situations when country gets a leader who doesn't care about his responsibilities like in history the powerful yet aggressive leader like Hitler who made a huge change not only in Germany but all over the world...but also when a country get a leader like Shri jawharlal nehru the first prime minister of India there is a environment of celebration as he assured people will get their rights...not only in India but all over the globe this world has experienced plenty of good as well as dangerous leaders but still if the people protest together against wrong leaders we can achieve an assurance of safe future tommorow!!!

• Hello triumphant_snow, I'm really impressed by your standpoint, so I'm going to share my opinions distinctively.
    Elections truly portray the two-faced nature of democracy, acting as both a celebration of political identity and a battleground for discordant politics. However, they represent the empowerment of citizens and the point of participatory governance, they also give elevation to pressure and conflicts ignited by schismatic oratory and vote-bank politics. According to a factual discovery by the Pew Research Center, trust in government remains little around the world, with only 36% of people showcasing confidence in their national government. Moreover, the augmentation of misinformation during campaigns increases voter discouragement, as supported by a report from the Oxford Internet Institute, which states that during the year 2020 United States presidential election, false and misleading information were distributed speedily on social media platforms. Addressing this conundrum requires a diverse and well-thought approach, ways we can carry this out is by promoting media literacy and critical thinking skills among citizens, aiding a transparent and accountable electoral process, and encouraging various opinions and constructive ideas.

• I'm from Pakistan 🇵🇰 and I have watched many Indian movies to know that the government should write letters to everyone and list the people that are running for president or prime minister and give the address they should give everybody a equal vote

• You have provided a thoughtful analysis of the paradox surrounding elections, acknowledging the power of the people while also holding into great importance the tensions and conflicts they can create. Your intuition on the evolvement of democracy and the role of elections in the modern society are well articulated.