Diversity, Representation and Equality!

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Black-Panther---Image-4

Diversity and representation is a very important tool for breaking bias. For a very long time, we have been fighting the war against inequality. There are reports of people saying that it will take a very long time for the world to attain gender equality. According to a report published on Wednesday by UN Women and the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), "Achieving full gender equality, one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), could take close to 300 years if the current rate of progress continues."

How can we increase the rate of progress of the world so that we can attain equality in the world? What do you think can be done?

As for me, I think movies and films are crucial to doing this. Movies and films if they are diverse and they represent people well, they will help to break biases and crush stereotypes. I want to include a few words from a few topical talkers.

helpful_moose said," It is very important to display such communities on the global screen because what we see is what we practice. We get greatly influenced by the characters we see in movies specially in this digital era, making it very necessary to give proper representation to all social and economic groups. Just like a bench never discriminates between the physical appearance, the economic status, the social background or anything like that when anyone sits on it, we should actually learn from that bench because then that will make us inclusive and will ultimately make the world a better place for every single person to live in."

coherent_banjo said, "I feel like diversity is important in films because it can help people that have been marginalised to feel included in society. It also shows the majority that people from minorities are just normal people. This can be achieved by representing those minorities in a variety of roles. For example if a certain race or religion is only portrayed like criminals or terrorists, then the general public will keep in mind this idea. But if they are given all sorts of roles we will get used to them being part of society just like us.

In my view this is not just about race, but about all minorities. Films can make us get used to the fact that for example people with disabilities can do the jobs we do and that women can be successful in any jobs and that they can be heroes too. These are all steps towards a more inclusive society."

Do you think this it is true? Do movies also play an important role?

The movie black panther is a popular movie well known for its breakthrough in perfectly portraying diversity and representation. This is a movie that because of its diversity and good representation, many stereotypes and biases have been broken. Now, more films are trying to follow in their footsteps and this change is good for the world. This is a practical example of how diversity and equality helps to achieve equality in society. Here are a few words about the movie said by topical talkers.

terrific_acorn said, "Black Panther is one movie everyone gives credit for its breakthrough in racial segregation in the film industry. But what do we all know about upcoming black actors who struggle in a bid to secure a large protagonist role for other movies? Black Panther is not just a movie, it is a success story. Many black actors and actresses dream of making it big in the film industry, but how many actually do? I see Black Panther more deeply because of this fact...."

What other movies do you think has diversity and good representation and has succeded in bringing equality to society?

In my opinion some of there are some marvel movies that have good diversity and representation that have also helpd in promoting equality in the world. They are movies like Miss Marvel and Shang Chi.

We can see that diversity and good represention are like bows and arrows in the hands of equality they help to eliminate bias, stereotypes and discrimination in order to make the society we live in better.

Comments (31)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I feel like diversity is important in films because it can help individuals that have been criticize to feel fitted in society.

1. I agree diversity in films can change someones whole point of view.

2. I feel the same because without diversity most actors would quit for not being able to feel fitted during the filming.

• I agree with coherent_banjo because I feel like diversity is important in films because it can helps individuals that have been criticized for not fitting in society.

• i agree because Movies in the MCU(Marvel Cinematic Universe) have a high impact on the community and They play an Important role because including more real-world problems because it allows the franchise to come up with more realistic characters.

• It is true I believe movies can play an important part in gender and skin diversity. I believe most films/movies can play a part in diversity. Diversity could mean a bunch of things as skin diversity, and gender diversity. Most movies and films respect the equality of both topics like skin and gender. Each gender is respected and treated fair because the show gives people the opportunity to shine as who they can play as and how well they play their part as a character in films

• "I feel like diversity is important in films because it can help people that have been marginalised to feel included in society. It also shows the majority that people from minorities are just normal people. This can be achieved by representing those minorities in a variety of roles. I agree with him

1. I agree because everyone of the same or different genders, social and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation and so on is being respected and treated equally. Diversity in films encourages people of different characteristics not too be discouraged through any discriminating approach from a follow person because you are the same person, most movies are successful today because they involved diversity in films which leads to cooperation and the spirit of togetherness which leads to motivation and confidence to make the work assigned to them the best. Some films understand the pain gone through when one feels emotionally broken down and discriminated through bullying and harassment, that is why they create diversity in order to eradicate such unpleasant attitude like Racism, bullying, downgrading and so on and restore peace and equality in the economy through motivational moral lessons. Diversity in films is very important in films and the economy, it helps people to get along peacefully without any problem. Its aim is to break the bias and restore equality to the people👥🫂.

• Unconscious bias can lead to bullying, harassment, discrimination, people feeling excluded, being less productive and unengaged. It impacts upon recruitment decisions, employee development, impairs diversity and negatively affects staff retention rates.

• We can treat everyone as equal and not judge anyone to make everyone feel like they are part of society. We should not treat anyone differently because of their race, gender or disability. We can also spread positive words to each other.

1. What do you think the best way to do this is?

1. We can make our society different if enough people will speak up for what is right

2. I agree because by treating the people equally is more to the right representations. In order to treat people equally we need to break the some taboos linked differences among the races of this world.
      The best way to eliminate the gender difference is equal rights to both female amd male. In my society mostly people think that male dominant society but in some senerio the stituation is reverse as a male member of family have to finance and provide food for many female members. The independence of females is the good choice for such burden.
      In my country the cast system also creates the more difference. Inferiority complexes comes from the cast system made it more difficult to live peaceful to the minorities.
      Religion discriminations also one of the main reason of violance which can be removed by promoting respect for all the religions.
      Disable member of society also treated in such a way that made them almost incapable to use even the fully functioning body faculties. This only can be removed by encouraging them to involve practically in the skilled works to benefit the society. Being engage them will develop sense of confidence in them. There must be the games and healthy activities should be introduced for such members of society.

• Unconscious bias can lead to bullying, harassment, discrimination, people feeling excluded, being less productive and unengaged. It impacts upon recruitment decisions, employee development, impairs diversity and negatively affects staff retention rates.

1. I agree because being discriminated for things you like doing is very upsetting and disheartening, a very emotionally hurt person spends a lot of time being discouraged than being encouraged and it will be very hard for one to advice the person to be back to his or her happy self, that's why they are ways to eradicate such a problem at its early stage before its turns to a herculean task to take care of at its difficult stage, when one decides to be proud of who they are and is humble in nature and difficult to offend, then any form of unconscious bias will be too small for you to handle. If you truly want to eliminate discrimination from your life, then should be a humble person and a human person is willing to help others to in cases like this one.

• I feel like diversity is important in films because it can help others and people in the films, and also MCU help others in the community solve problems for other people in the world and for themselves.

• I believe this is true, movies can play an important part in diversity, we could take the movie "Black Panther" for an example, the movie is known for their breakthrough and representation in the film industry. The movie is a very successful film under Marvel studio but it is just not a movie and it is also expressed as a story, in the movie many good diversity have been broken down and it helping to make a better equality in the world. There are many other movies that let their actor or actress prove what they are capable of doing.

1. Yes movies play an important part in diversity another movie that represent diversity and inequality is PARASITE this movie has a hidden message which is the director revealed that the word "parasite" has a double meaning. Aside from describing the poor leeching money off the rich, the Park family is also a parasite. Without the ability to wash dishes or tidy their house, they use their money to exploit poor families with their cheap labor. this gave way for the two parasite families to abuse their kindness – which ultimately cost them their wealth, their peace, their family, and their lives. In the same manner, while being kind to others, one still needs to remember that their life is not ours to live.

• Representation is a double-edged sword, so it is important and positive if it is used in the right way and directed to what is beneficial to others.
    And it has a negative impact if it is used in the wrong way that spreads corruption to all.

• The world is characterized by diversity and difference, whether in terms of religions, beliefs, traditions, customs, and customs that govern the peoples of this world, or in terms of rules of behavior, languages, and legal, economic, and political systems. Culture in 2001, and diversity is very important in films, and as it was said about the films that were known tremendously and that contained diversity, we believe that diversity should be in films, for several reasons, the most important of which are: attracting viewers, and fame.
    This is for my opinion.
    Some Disney and Pixar products truly radiate that "Bay Area spirit"—a nonchalant acceptance of diversity, a celebration of multiculturalism, a total (and sometimes problematic) enthusiasm for technological advancement, a sincere belief in our ability as a species to innovate and work together to make the future brighter—and a nostalgic evocation of the region, that one of them!

• The idea that disability "makes you smarter" or is a gift comes from people with disabilities having to work harder just to be accepted. The idea that disability is a gift really undermines that effort. It creates an expectation that if you are disabled, you should have some natural, extraordinary talent to make up for it. I love that the movie shows how even though Mike is smart, it's because he constantly works for it, not because having a disability automatically makes you super skilled in That One Thing.
    I remember when I first saw this in theaters when I was younger. Although the movie was just mildly decent and forgettable, the ending stuck in my memory for the rest of my life. Because no other kid's movie that I had ever watched let the main characters fail at their big dream - much less manage to still put a hopeful spin on it. It's something special I've carried in my head since then.

• The best way to express my feelings about my point of view is to write.
    Because it honestly allows a person to express himself inside, and disclose it whenever he wants, there is no specific time for writing.
    Creative words and wonderful ideas come out as if they are stars appearing one after the other, and their beauty increases.

Sometimes if we want to express a topic in audio or video, it must be arranged in advance, that the place be quiet and there is no noise in or outside the place, so that the sound is not distorted, or not understood, and there is no weakness in communication so that the recording time for audio or video is not interrupted. .

Also, I do not forget that there are people who suffer from hearing impairment, so the written text is much better for them than the audio texts.

• I deeply agree with what this author and the of tropical talkers, the diversity in Black Panther shined a light on varied communities. Unfortunately I have yet to see another diverse movie that is at least half famous as Black Panther but if anyone has any recommendations please tell.

• i feel like diversity is important in films because it lets other people in the world experience new looks on certain films.

• Personally, I believe that in films we need to have much more equality. I think this is because it makes everyone feel appreciated and accepted, whether you are a different religion, culture, gender or race. For example in films women get roles as nurses, babysitters as we are seen as the more weak people. I also saw a video when a new women police officer had joined and they had to go on a mission; she had been paired up with a man who had been there for years. The disrespectful man had told her to chop chop and make him a coffee because she should be in the kitchen making food like a slave. This is a huge problem as it is affecting many people in different cultures and people are getting hurt mentally and even physically.

• The diversity in the films is important as it justified that our differences make us more unique. The differences are just thr role played by the participants in order to achieve the common goal.
    Heroship must not be the legacy of specific race
    Anyone can have right to be her/his own story's hero. The diversity make the people resilient in some espects due to geological location of the regoin they belongs not the matter of superiority or inferiority.
    Diversity in films can leads to remove many taboos and complexes from the society and can attract the respect and appreciation.

1. I agree because... it is quite important due to the representation of different group of tribes and reigion and it show how every body is special in there unique ways and have there different way's of thinking .

• Miss Marvel is the most diverse film with good representation in achieving equality, because it also defends women's rights, and although India has a multiplicity of races, blood and religion, it is coherent and strong

• coherent_banjo said, "I feel like diversity is important in films because it can help people that have been marginalised to feel included in society.
    I picked coherent_banjo because they had said that it helps people that have to feel included inside of something.
    true because of that it adds people and includes them inside of something.
    what other movies do you think has diversity and good representation is big hero 6, finding nemo.

• What other movies do you think has diversity and good representation and has succeeded in bringing equality to society?
    For me The dark knight trilogy and especially The dark knight movie and I think that it has it great effect on people.

• it ok if you are LGBTQ Beaucause it dose not change you and you should be allowed to follow your dreams whenever you like and you should be allowed to do a job or your dreams.

• I think that the diversity in term of national origin us not present enough in movies.

• I think diversity is extremely important to be in films because I can help people with their insecurities and feel like they're a part of society and collect that they are not alone and that they are equal. Secondly, I think it would make movies better. For example, in the show stranger things that are on Netflix, My favorite character is Dusten( Actor Gaten Matarazzo) and he has a rare condition called cleidocranial dysplasia. These conditions can affect teeth and bones, such as the skull, face, spine, collarbones, and legs. It has only affected his teeth and collarbones. Thats my opinion on divercity

• The idea that disability "makes you smarter" or is a gift comes from people with disabilities having to work harder just to be accepted. The idea that disability is a gift really undermines that effort. It creates an expectation that if you are disabled, you should have some natural, extraordinary talent to make up for it. I love that the movie shows how even though Mike is smart, it's because he constantly works for it, not because having a disability automatically makes you super skilled in That One Thing.
    I remember when I first saw this in theaters when I was younger. Although the movie was just mildly decent and forgettable, the ending stuck in my memory for the rest of my life. Because no other kid's movie that I had ever watched let the main characters fail at their big dream - much less manage to still put a hopeful spin on it. It's something special I've carried in my head since then.

• The diversity in the films is important as it justified that our differences make us more unique. The differences are just thr role played by the participants in order to achieve the common goal.
    Heroship must not be the legacy of specific race
    Anyone can have right to be her/his own story's hero. The diversity make the people resilient in some espects due to geological location of the regoin they belongs not the matter of superiority or inferiority.
    Diversity in films can leads to remove many taboos and complexes from the society and can attract the respect and appreciation.

1. You really caught my attention with the phrase "heroship must not be the legacy of a specific race". Can you explain this in a little more detail please? I think you're onto something!

• I agree because... I see that all natural disasters negatively affect farmers, such as (drought, floods and the risk of fires) negatively affecting farmers and destroying the land. From my point of view, the cause of all this is wars and natural disasters that negatively affect, not farmers.
    Natural disasters impede the work of farmers, making it difficult for agricultural production and sustainable development.

• I agree with you that movies play a role in achieving equality in the world, they do not help break racism and prejudices, and because this diversity will work to communicate different ideas that carry different meanings, all this diversity works on creativity in delivering a specific message, and because people are affected by what they see when they see diversity in movies, they will start to Think about it more carefully, too
    We must have diversity in films, because when others see it with their own eyes, it will create a good image

• I believe that diversity is vidal in films. I feel this way because it helps people who feel left out or different, feel more included in society.

• I agree with this statement. Diversity and representation is important because it can change people's thoughts and emotions.Representation can change the way people view a particular person can cause rumors. For example, when African Americans in films are shown as thugs and criminals society will look at them as criminals and thugs. This may cause the wrong mindset of the true nature of an African American. Diversity in a film allows people who have been cast out from things be shown instead of looked down upon. Diversity helps films make sure everyone is included whether their gender, sexuality, or any of those things.

• I think that diversity is super important for most actors because most of them are different by culture, nationality, and knowledge. Everyone has their differences that they need to be able to feel fitted and not unfitted.