Royal appearances: how would this affect the monarchy?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Festival2-FeaturedImage-King'sCoronation-Image2

In previous Topical Talk lessons, we have had an intriguing discussion regarding fast fashion and how it affects people around the globe. Not only can it have an impact on members of society but various actions and consequences taken by others as well. I would like to touch on this topic and would like to show users on the student hub how much of a significant impact fast fashion can have on 5 major things: AI and the Arts, Earth day, tougher climate laws, Equality is nepotism acceptable, Metaverse, a new realm to rule and Strikes should they be allowed.

AI and the Arts: The AI and the Arts can be potentially one of the most controversial issues to this current date. We know that AI can create a drawing in a matter of seconds whilst a human artist can reflect this same image in a couple of days or possibly weeks. How would this be for fast fashion though? Just like AI retrieves designs created by famous artists without permission, will similar styles or designs be incorporated into clothing the consumer requests the AI to make? Fast fashion industries are fighting for survival in that particular field hence would it be fair if they used AI to innovate new clothes for a reasonable price?

Earth day, tougher climate laws: We all know that fast fashion has a detrimental impact on marine life as well as animals that roam the forest floors. Many ships importing or exporting these goods to other countries pollute the ocean thus acidifying the waters. Marine species cannot survive in these tarnished conditions just like we cannot breathe in a noxious atmosphere. Do you think the amount of cargo ships transporting products should be limited to a specific amount? Most people wear some fast fashion items at one time and then just dump it in their wardrobes because they are in desperate need to keep up with the latest trendy outfits. How do you think people should avoid doing this?

Equality is nepotism acceptable: When interviewed, first appearance always matters to the people hiring you. However, some people who cannot afford costly suits or elegant garments rely on fast fashion to be at least presentable at the meeting. In spite of this, nepotism does come into play as a manager’s eye would mostly linger on the person with more pristine clothes then the other. Everyone should be equal regardless of their appearance because I personally believe this is biassed and limits the windows of opportunities for the poorer. So, do you think your appearance should be a specific look when interacting with your might-in-the-future-be boss?

Metaverse, a new realm to rule: Some online platforms can provide you with cheaper wear for those with less income on an annual basis. Hence, more and more people are inclined to purchase fast fashion wear regardless of their wealth. Do you think it is fair that people buy things at a cheaper price? Do you think that the rapid inflation in fashion prices will decrease in order to attract more customers? I would lie somewhere in the middle. Yes, I do want to save money therefore I would likely buy a fast fashion outfit sold at a cheaper price however the material may not be of high quality. Meanwhile, my parents tend to buy clothes that are more expensive than the norm to ensure that it is of high quality material and can endure a long time. Which would you focus on: quality or quantity?

Strikes, should they be allowed: Fast fashion industries need to deliver the items to the consumer in a short period of time. Hence, workers tend to labour long, arduous hours for a low wage per day. Most are accustomed to work in unsafe and unhealthy conditions, often illegally using toxic chemicals that can lead to respiratory problems in the future. People are going on strike to have their voice acknowledged but they cannot fix both the conditions and the wage: you can’t have your cake and eat it too! So, if you were stuck in this circumstance, which would you choose, a higher salary or higher working conditions? Which would you rely on, your health or your money?

Now that I have addressed these 5 issues, the only one that remains is Royalty in the modern world. Most people are constantly aware of how posh, presentable and pristine the royal family looks and those who rely on fast fashion tend to be jealous of this. Considering we pay taxes to the Royal family through the Sovereign Grant, is it fair to have such a major difference in appearance? How would the members of the public react if they saw King Charles for example wearing fast fashion items? Would they react in a positive or negative way and why is this so?

This is not up to me to decide but YOU! Feel free to share down in the comments below how fast fashion would change the Royal family and why. Furthermore, I would be even more thankful if you share your opinions regarding the 5 topics above. Hopefully, this has helped you in a positive way!

Comments (5)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• According to what one of my teachers said your appearance and the way you carry yourself determines the way people see and think of you, like for me I greatly admire bankers, the way they look in their cooperate wears, they look serious and also look like people that carry authority. If one of the royal family members should be found wearing any fast fashion items the way people will look at them will be different than when they are wearing their royal wears, some people may disregard them; some may even find it offensive especially those who care for our planet because a fact about fast fashion is that it actually is contributor to climate change and the terrible effects it has on people as it dries up water sources and pollutes rivers and streams. So people may look at the negative side of things and also act in a negative way if peradventure any royalty or people they hold in high regard is seen making an appearance in fast fashion items.

• Hey accurate atom, I like that you have written your standpoint based on fast fashion. Here is my reply:

Fast fashion and its impact on various aspects of society are indeed important topics to discuss. Let's delve into the five major areas you mentioned: AI and the Arts, Earth day and tougher climate laws, equality and nepotism, the Metaverse, and strikes.

AI and the Arts: Incorporating AI into fast fashion to create new designs at a reasonable price can be a complex issue. While AI can generate designs quickly, it raises questions about the originality and artistic value of the creations. It's essential to strike a balance between utilizing AI for innovation while respecting the work of human artists. Perhaps AI can be used as a tool to support the creative process rather than replacing human artistry entirely. I'd like to know your opinion on this.

Earth day and tougher climate laws: Fast fashion's negative impact on the environment, including pollution and waste, is a pressing concern. Limiting the number of cargo ships transporting products and implementing stricter climate laws could help mitigate these issues. Additionally, individuals can contribute by adopting more sustainable consumption habits, such as buying fewer items, reusing or recycling clothing, and supporting brands that prioritize eco-friendly practices.

Equality and nepotism: Appearance should not be the sole determinant of opportunities. I think nepotism based on clothing can perpetuate inequality, as not everyone can afford expensive attire. It's crucial to focus on evaluating individuals based on their skills, qualifications, and merit rather than their appearance. Promoting equal opportunities and combating bias in hiring practices can help address this issue.

The Metaverse: The affordability of fast fashion can be a benefit for individuals with limited financial resources. However, it's important to consider the quality and longevity of the products. In my opinion striking a balance between price and quality is subjective and depends on individual preferences and priorities. Encouraging sustainable fashion practices within the Metaverse can be a way to reduce waste and promote conscious consumption.

Strikes: The plight of workers in the fast fashion industry is a serious concern. I believe it's essential to prioritize both fair wages and safe working conditions. Ideally, workers should not have to choose between their health and income. By advocating for workers' rights, fair labor practices, and promoting ethical fashion, we can work towards improving both working conditions and wages in the industry.

Regarding royalty in the modern world, the public perception of the royal family's fashion choices can vary. I think if members of the royal family were seen wearing fast fashion items, reactions might differ. Some might view it as a relatable and down-to-earth gesture, while others may prefer to see them representing luxury and exclusivity. The response would depend on societal values, expectations, and the perception of the role of royalty.

In conclusion, I hope these topics related to fast fashion raise important considerations. It is essential for individuals, businesses, and society as a whole to foster sustainable practices, promote inclusivity, and prioritize fair treatment and ethical standards in the fashion industry. Through open dialogue and collective efforts, we can work towards a more equitable and environmentally conscious future.

• Some may find it offensive especially those who care about our planet because a fact about fast fashion is that it actually contributes to climate change and the terrible effects it has on people as it dries up water sources and pollutes rivers and streams and I hope these topics related to fast fashion raise important considerations. It is essential for individuals, businesses, and society as a whole to promote sustainable practices, promote inclusivity, and prioritize fair treatment and ethical standards in the fashion industry. Through open dialogue and collective efforts, we can work towards a more equitable and environmentally conscious future.

1. What is fast fashion and how do we deal with it?_Fast fashion is a term that refers to the manufacture of clothing that is produced quickly and at low prices. It can be dealt with by buying clothes from companies that adopt environmentally and worker-friendly practices, and avoid buying clothes that are produced at low prices and in unhealthy ways. Does fast fashion harm people’s thinking?_ Wearing cheap clothes that are produced in unhealthy methods may change behavior and personality, But there is no evidence that fast fashion affects people's thinking directly. How does fast fashion stop over time? If consumers wanted to stop supporting fast fashion, they could buy clothes from companies that adopt environmental and labor-friendly practices, and that produce clothes in ways that Healthy and of high quality. It can also raise awareness of issues related to fast fashion, and support campaigns calling for healthy and fair practices in the clothing industry.

• Royal appearances play a significant role in shaping public perception of the monarchy and can have both positive and negative impacts on its image and relevance. Here are a few ways in which royal appearances can affect the monarchy:

Visibility and Public Engagement: The frequency and nature of royal appearances influence the visibility and public engagement with the monarchy. When members of the royal family actively participate in public events, engage with communities, and support charitable causes, they reinforce the monarchy's connection to the people and demonstrate its relevance in contemporary society. This can enhance public support and generate positive sentiment towards the institution.

Public Opinion and Popularity: Royal appearances can impact public opinion and the popularity of the monarchy. When members of the royal family conduct themselves with dignity, empathy, and authenticity during public engagements, they can garner public admiration and respect. On the other hand, negative incidents or perceived lack of engagement can lead to criticism and a decline in public support.

Media Coverage and Image Projection: Royal appearances receive substantial media attention, which allows the monarchy to shape its image and narrative. Positive coverage of royal engagements can generate public interest, highlight the monarchy's activities and contributions, and reinforce its positive image. Conversely, negative media scrutiny can tarnish the monarchy's reputation and create challenges for its public perception.

National Unity and Representation: Royal appearances can foster a sense of national unity and representation. When members of the royal family attend significant national events, such as state occasions, commemorations, or royal weddings, they provide a unifying presence and symbolize the continuity of the nation's history and traditions. Such appearances can evoke feelings of pride, patriotism, and identity among citizens.

International Relations: Royal appearances on the global stage have diplomatic implications and can influence international relations. State visits, royal tours, and participation in international events provide opportunities to strengthen diplomatic ties, promote cultural exchange, and showcase the United Kingdom's soft power. The conduct and engagement of the royal family during these appearances can shape perceptions of the United Kingdom and its monarchy abroad.

Succession and Future Relevance: Royal appearances by younger members of the royal family, particularly those in line for succession, are crucial for securing the monarchy's future relevance. These appearances allow the next generation of royals to establish their own identities, engage with a younger demographic, and adapt to changing societal expectations. The public's response to their appearances can have implications for the long-term sustainability of the monarchy.

It's important to note that the impact of royal appearances can be influenced by various factors, including the conduct of individual members, public sentiment, media coverage, and societal changes. The monarchy must carefully navigate these factors to maintain public support and adapt to evolving expectations and challenges.

• Hi accurate_atom - thanks for submitting your standpoint. You question what the public impact would be if King Charles wore fast fashion items. Could you give an example of a member of the royal family wearing high street clothes? What was the public reaction in that case?

1. One notable example of a member of the royal family wearing high street clothes is when the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, has been seen wearing clothing from brands like Zara, Topshop, and Reiss. Her choice of affordable and readily available fashion items has often garnered positive attention from the public.

When Kate Middleton wears high street clothes, it is often seen as relatable and accessible fashion, which resonates with many people. It has been praised for showcasing her down-to-earth personality and ability to mix high-end designer pieces with more affordable options.

The public reaction to Kate Middleton wearing high street clothes has generally been favorable. It is seen as a refreshing departure from the traditional perception of the royal family being exclusively associated with luxury and high-end fashion. Her fashion choices have even sparked trends and led to increased popularity for the brands she wears.

Overall, Kate Middleton's embrace of high street fashion has been well-received by the public, highlighting her ability to balance her royal role with a touch of modernity and relatability.