The Indian Election

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images-Indian-election2

This topic is important for me because my Dad is Indian and my grandparents live in India, meaning it will affect them and another 1.4 billion people who live in this quickly modernizing country. India is the world’s largest democracy. The amount of people involved in the 2024 election is mind-boggling! There are over 960 million eligible voters and 15 million election workers. The Indian election would also affect the West since India is a major trading partner to the West and is seen as a counter-balance to China.

Hindutva

The current Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his political party (the BJP) are likely to win the election. Mr. Modi and the BJP believe in the idea of Hindutva, which says India is a Hindu nation. Hindus make up 80% of India's population. Critics think that the BJP is planning to turn India into a country that favours Hindus over other religions such as Islam and Christianity. Modi has passed controversial laws and people are saying he is causing hatred of the Muslims around India. Why is he so popular then? He is seen as a strong leader and many Hindus support Modi because he will benefit them.

My Opinion

I believe that India should be inclusive of all religions. Which is what Gandhi, seen of the father of India's independence movement wanted. Even Nehru, India's very first Prime Minister, thought that India should be a secular nation (a country who accepts all religions). I think India should keep its values that they have had for almost 80 years since India's independence. Why make all of Gandhi's hard work in vain? Some schools have even already been affected and are teaching Hinduism and hate of other religions. I find all religions interesting and young kids shouldn't be taught to fear other religions but to respect them.

Comments (5)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• The Indian election indeed holds significance not just for India but for the global community as well.The debate over Hindutva and its implications on religious inclusivity is crucial for shaping the country's future. Maintaining the principles of secularism and respecting all religions, as advocated by leaders like Gandhi and Nehru, is essential for upholding India's democratic values. It's heartening to see young voices advocating for tolerance and respect for all religions.
    Thanks

• The forthcoming 2024 Indian election, with its outstanding number of voters and important global effects, emphasizes the benefit of comprehending the dominant philosophy of Hindutva championed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP. This ideology reverberates with many people due to its importance on Hindu identity and oaths of strength, critics worry about its capability to sideline religious minorities and destroy India's secular morals. Me personally, I stand for an inclusive India that maintains the standards of religious diversity and tolerance, as foreseen by leaders like Gandhi and Nehru. Sustaining these values not only honours the sacrifices made from India's independence action but also supports a society where collective respect and understanding is bountiful.

• I strongly agree with you jolly_gazelle!
    In the vibrant tapestry of India, embracing diversity is key. Like a colorful rangoli, all religions should find their place. Just as spices blend to create a flavorful dish, let harmony and respect unite us all. Modi's popularity may shine, but let's remember Gandhi's vision: inclusivity is India's guiding light. Let's cherish Gandhi's legacy, like a precious gem, and ensure every voice, every faith, is heard and honored.

Thanks jolly_gazelle for shedding light on such an important topic. Embracing diversity is crucial, and I appreciate the opportunity to discuss it further.

• Even though I am religious personally, in my own opinion I don't think that a country should base itself on its main religion it's extremely bias in actuality. What about the other religions or those who are non-religious? does it man that they have no rights simply because the chose to be of a different faith, and I completely agree with you and if schools are going to teach something religious they should always keep in mind there are others too, we should learn not to treat them like outsiders but like our fellow citizens.

• In India, sometimes elections aren't fair. It's like when some people try to stop others from voting by making it hard for them to register or casting their votes. And there's also cheating, like messing with the voting machines or lying about the results. It's not cool when they intimidate people with threats or violence just because they support a different party. the media sometimes only talks good stuff about one candidate or party, which isn't fair. don't forget about bribes and using government stuff for campaigning. Making elections fair means everyone should have a fair chance to vote, no cheating allowed, and everything should be open and honest.

1. Hi
      I totally disagree with your views and also feel that your comment is totally baseless and was made without any knowledge or research. India being the largest democracy in the world and also known as the Mother of Democracy, elections are conducted fairly under the jurisdiction of the Election Commission of India, which is free from any political intervention. There is no instance of elections being rigged in India or voting machines being hacked. Elections in India are conducted with complete transparency, and everyone has the right to vote.