Tina answers your questions!

Tina Brown is an award-winning journalist, editor, and author. She has been editor-in-chief of Tatler, Vanity Fair, and The New Yorker. She was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen for her services to journalism in 2000, and inducted into the Magazine Editors' Hall of Fame in 2007. In October 2008, Brown launched and edited the digital news site The Daily Beast, which won the news website of the year award in 2012 and 2013. For a decade she organised and hosted Women in the World, with summits in New York, London and Delhi, and smaller salons throughout North America.

Brown’s book The Vanity Fair Diaries was chosen as one of the best books of 2017 by Time, People, The Guardian, and The Economist. She wrote the 2007 best-selling biography of the Princess of Wales, The Diana Chronicles. Her follow-up, The Palace Papers, was named one of the New York Times’s 100 Notable Books of 2022, and one of The Times of London’s 37 best books of 2022.

Thank you to those of you who submitted questions for Tina. There were lots to choose from, but here are the questions she answered:

quiet_mode: Why did you choose to be a journalist of all disciplines and careers to be chosen? Was there a particular reason that attracted you to it?

quiet_swan: In 2008, you launched The Daily Beast, which won numerous awards and was seen as a pioneer in digital journalism. What inspired you to start this venture, and what do you think were the keys to its success?

grateful_apricot: What were the biggest hurdles you faced and how did you overcome them? Additionally, how did you tackle the sexism and discrimination that prevailed in the media industry?

accurate_ atom: What routine do you have that helps you keep to a schedule for your work?

crafty_insect: You work as an author, an editor and finally a journalist. Now which of these jobs is the most interesting, the most difficult and the most daring and why?

Well done to quiet_mode from Elite Scholars Academy, quiet_swan from Beit Hanoun Prep Girls A School grateful_apricot from Shri Natesan Vidyasala Mhss A, accurate_atom from Cheam Fields Primary Academy and crafty_insect from New Khan-Younis Prep. Girls School A who have each been awarded 3 stars for their questions!

Comments (23)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Mrs. Tina is my first inspiration, as she represents the strong iron woman and inspired me to become a multitasker. Tina taught me that a woman can multitask, not only at home. She can be what she loves most. Mrs. Tina carried her shoulders to deliver a message to the world that a woman is not tasked with serving in homes only, wait. For Mrs. Tina, she performs several works, won the most important awards, and met one of the queens of the world with authority. How I would like to be like her!

• Mr Tina Brown I wouldl like to ask you a question regarding the story about you firstly what was your first job and why did you decide to have three jobs and how did you get all whe three jobs

• Yes, Tina inspired me and made me think and be more visual about the future, she made me more positive, I learned from her to be ambitious for my dream and that nothing is impossible for a person who works for his dream, to have a purpose in life, I learned from her strength and not to give up, even To have an impact in the future, and to have a wonderful imprint in people’s lives, in order to achieve everything I wish and strive for my goal, and to gain fame, which inspired me in Tina, that she is a strong woman with a strong and wise heart, and I admired her ambition in her and she became a role model for me in my life. Not only a role model, it became a wonderful role model that made me think about what is beneficial to me and the good of the country, and being a pioneer in digital journalism is the job that I liked the most and it was more difficult and daring because it is related to the media and I think that it is more famous and leaves a beautiful impact for its owner, so whoever wants to achieve a goal, He has to work for it.. because nothing is achieved except with ambition and insistence on it......... (One last question for you, reader: Are dreams achieved without being matched by great fatigue and effort?!) And Tina was the strongest example and the perfect role model. For success 🥰❤

1. Can you give me examples of the information you got from Ms.Tina?

• Hi,
    Tina inspired me to say that women never stop no matter what. In our society, they consider that a woman should not work in an outside job, but that her mission is only to be a housewife. I love a woman who does not give up no matter what happens, and I love a successful woman There are no limits to stop it her. And you are one of those women that I love, Tina. I learned from you not to limit myself to one profession, but to several professions. How wonderful to be an editor, author and writer at the same time. But I would like to ask you, how did you organize your time and How did people view you after all this impressive success?

• Hi Tina.
    I would like to ask you a question, how did you feel when you were awarded an OBE by the Queen??? Why was Brown's book selected as one of the best books of 2017, and what were the advantages of this book??

• I liked Tita very much, so after delving deeper into her information and getting to know her more, she literally became my role model and became an example for women and a role model🙂

• How did you reach this great position and who was motivating you and supporting you and were you defeated at some time or weakened to failure!?

• I really want to inquire about the motive that kept you going in this field, and did that focus affect your work in your social life and your relationship with your family and friends

• Hi,Tina!
    Do you have a particular standard for the stories you talk about? Or do you just research about and publish whatever catches your fancy, or a little bit of both?

• Yes . I look at Tina as a role model and take inspiration from her. I would like to be like her as a successful journalist and famous writer to be like her in the future. Mrs. Tina proved to the world that she is an example to follow as well. I learned from her strength, ambition and determination to enter any field I want. Yes, Mrs. Tina is my inspiration.

• Hello Tina, I loved you very much because you are a woman who works hard and is loyal to her work, and that you have an important role in the great high society, so I hope to meet you so that I can learn many things from you and appreciate you for your effort. Before I finish my letter, I would like to ask you a question.
    Did you expect to get this great credit?
    How did you feel when you were working in the Kingdom?

• Welcome...
    I think everyone who started his career seriously knew that one day he would meet his hard work and diligence like Ms. Tina....
    Perhaps when I travel, I will meet and talk with you.. Indeed, I have spoken about you and your wonderful achievements. In fact, my colleagues came the next day and were very happy when they looked for you and saw your wonderful achievements... But I and one of my colleagues asked a question (Who is behind your success, who encouraged you and strengthened your resolve until you reached this rank)... I would love to hear why In order to answer my colleagues' questions, Mrs. Tina, you are a woman we must follow, you are an example to follow...
    Thanks

• welcome
    there is a question i have had since entering topical talk and i wondering who created it and why
    there are many students around the world in topical talk
    so i think the point of it is explore our talnts
    so thank you forevery thing

• Yes, of course. I learned from Tina that we should be among the creators who contribute to inspiring people, regardless of the multiplicity of tasks, and that we have a name and place in the field in which we work.

• Mrs Tina pls can you tell me how you got all three jobs and how do you manage all wow you are already my inspiration please can you tell me how you manage all three works and I wish you all the best In all your jobs

• Hi Tina, I'm so glad to see you. Well, before I start, I want to tell you that you are really very brave, because you fought and were patient in order to be a great journalist, and indeed, you became a very wonderful journalist. Well, the first question is, did Tina inspire you? Yes, you inspired me a lot to be very brave in fighting for my dream of becoming a doctor or anything that serves society such as a doctor, an engineer or a teacher. And I really thank you for this wonderful inspiration. Well, the second question is, did you learn anything new from Tina? Yes, I learned something new, which is to fight, be patient, and be very brave at all times to achieve my dream. What I mean is that any person who has a dream and wants to achieve it should not give up, but must be patient and fight to achieve his dream. I believe in every person who has a dream and wants to achieve it. Well, the third question is, what is your response to Tina's answers, or would you like to respond to them?? Honestly, I want to say to Tina that I really thank you so much for this wonderful inspiration, and I really like your wonderful answers. And thank you 🥰

• Hi! Mrs tina i wonder how you can do a lot of tasks and jobs how do you manage, women like you are one in a million because in some sides of the world women are considered weak and good for nothing except been in the house hold and serving the family they believe that is the least she can do, this will encourage them ,You are an inspiration to all of us and also a role model and i hope many will be inspired by you .

• Professor Tina is one of my biggest inspirations, and by the way, I am a big fan of her book, Brown, which has achieved many successes. She represents for me the example of the iron woman because she achieves great achievements in all the fields in which she works. I hope that Mrs. Tina will comment on my comment.

• British journalist, editor-in-chief, columnist and television interviewer. She is also the author of The History of Diana, a biography of Diana, Princess of Wales. "Queen's Birthday Honors List". The Guardian. 17 June 2000. Retrieved 30 August 2010. Brown held several positions before working with Barry Diller to found and edit The Daily Beast in October 2008. In September 2013, Brown retired from her job as editor-in-chief of The Daily Beast to devote herself to preparing the "Tina Brown" program. The TV show that recounts the years of her life that she spent in the world of media.

• I was inspired by Tina and her fascination for stories and news. I loved how she couldn't find a way to get the stories she wanted out there, so she decided to do it herself. I learned how stories and news are a way to go around the world, and gain opinions and decisions about various topics. I would like to reply to Tina, and ask, did you have a childhood where you became interested in stories and media like the news, or were you exposed to it at a later time and began to love it. Thank you.

• Hello, Tina, you are really an example of a patient and persevering woman, and an example for all journalists and celebrities. I think that your work was difficult, despite that. You did not give up until you proved yourself worthy, but I have many questions. If your answer is no, why? What do you like most about your work? Can I become a wonderful character like you? And thank you ❤️ .

• As for me I would say that the expert that really inspired me the most was Tina Brown. As someone who loves to read a lot, I have always loved the field of journalism and I made my research on all the the experts involved in this conversation and Tina Brown was the expert who caught my attention. She founded a journalism platform to elevate the voices of women worldwide, I also took my time to read the books she has written and I can say her work is really one of a kind. She has now become my motivation to work in the field of journalism, she has challenged me to take on the challenges that women face in the field of journalism because I had always been contemplating on whether I should become a journalist because female journalists around the world today still face harassment and violence but When I saw the number of professions Tina Brown took on and she excelled in all I was motivated and decided if she could do it then I could to.

• I am inspired by Ms.Tina because she has choose a field where she not only work and protest for her self but she works to make this planet a beautiful home for 8 billion people and many other spiceis.
    She is enhancing a field which is inter related with all human beings of this world.She is a great journalist as I am also the fond of reading and writing books which are related to the life of many people. When I read that she has written a book on such a famous personality like princess of Whales I started to wonder of her creativity.
    After reading too much about her I am probaly very curious to read "The Vanity Fair Diaries" which has won award in 2017. Her personality is definitely capable to be liked and I also want serve this world the same way she did.
    Thanks,