Expert challenge: strikes

Dr Rachel Clarke has loved reading your comments on the Hub so much, that she has decided to set you a challenge! Play the video to find out about what she’d like you to discuss next.

Comments (24)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• What skills or knowledge do you think you’ll need to be able to negotiate and speak up for your rights in your future work?
    1. Negotiate the process.
    2. Listen actively.
    3. Build rapport. Although it’s not always feasible to engage in small talk at the start of a negotiation (particularly if you’re on a tight deadline), doing so can bring real benefits, research shows. You and your counterpart may be more collaborative and likely to reach an agreement if you spend even just a few minutes trying to get to know each other. If you’re negotiating over email, even a brief introductory phone call may make a difference. This is one of the most valuable negotiation skills to master.
    4. Ask good questions
    5. Try a contingent contract. Negotiators often get stuck because they disagree about how a certain scenario will play out over time. In such cases, try proposing a contingent contract—in essence, a bet about how future events will unfold. For example, if you doubt a contractor’s claims that he can finish your home renovation project in three months, propose a contingent contract that will penalize him for late completion and/or reward him for early completion. If he truly believes his claims, he should have no problem accepting such terms.
    6. Plan for the implementation stage. Another way to improve the long-term durability of your contract is to place milestones and deadlines in your contract to ensure that commitments are being met. You might also agree, in writing, to meet at regular intervals throughout the life of the contract to check in and, if necessary, renegotiate. In addition, adding a dispute-resolution clause that calls for the use of mediation or arbitration if a conflict arises can be a wise move.
    7.Ask good questions.
    These are the skill I will like to develop to negotiate and speak up for my rights in future work.

1. That's an excellent list of skills and knowledge that you believe are necessary to negotiate and speak up for your rights in your future work. Let's summarize the skills you mentioned:

Negotiate the process: Understanding the negotiation process itself, including the different stages, strategies, and techniques involved, is crucial for effective negotiation.

Listen actively: Actively listening to the other party's perspective and understanding their needs and concerns is essential for finding mutually beneficial solutions.

Build rapport: Establishing a positive relationship and rapport with the other party can create a more collaborative atmosphere and increase the likelihood of reaching an agreement.

Ask good questions: Asking thoughtful and relevant questions can help gather information, clarify misunderstandings, and uncover underlying interests and motivations.

Try a contingent contract: Proposing a contingent contract can address uncertainties or disagreements about future outcomes, providing a framework that incentivizes both parties to meet their commitments.

Plan for the implementation stage: Considering the long-term implementation of agreements by including milestones, deadlines, and mechanisms for regular check-ins and dispute resolution helps ensure the durability and successful execution of contracts.

These skills demonstrate your awareness of the importance of effective communication, strategic thinking, and proactive planning when negotiating and advocating for your rights in the workplace. By developing these skills, you'll be better equipped to navigate challenging situations and safeguard your interests.

Remember, these skills can be honed through practice, experience, and continuous learning. It's great that you have identified them as areas for personal development. Keep nurturing these skills, and they will serve you well in your future endeavors.

• Hi Rachel, I would like to comment on the questions you asked.
    I think the basic skills and knowledge needed are:
    1. Self confidence
    2. Composure
    3. Ability to lead
    4. Communication skills e.t.c
    Yes, They organize debate and competition so as to build those skills. The method of communication skills are being improved through languages thought in the school, pupils and students are given roles to play so as to enhance their ability to lead and take charge.

• I will need listening, problem-solving and speaking skills to enable me to speak up for my rights in the future.
    The listening skills will enable me to identify problems, resolve conflicts, prevent me from missing important information, build trust and strong relationships with others.
    Speaking skills will allow me to communicate with others and express my taught and feelings.
    The problem-solving skill will also enable me to identify and analyze problems and come up with an easy solutions to solve the problems.
    Yes, my school is trying its best to prepare us for the future. The mission of my school is to provide “global citizens that will be change agents” Some of the things my school does include:
    1. Organizing debates to make us listen and become more confident
    2. make us work on a group project so that we can come up with solutions to a problem, listen to other people's views and share our opinion
    3. Engage us in entrepreneurship training so that we don’t need to depend on blue-collar jobs
    4. Enrol us in other extracurricular activities like essay writing competitions, this festival talks and lost more to make us more confident and learn new things
    5. Enrol us for workshops and seminars to improve our knowledge and build our characters etc
    I will like my school to continue with these activities and engage us in more of these talks so that we can become better citizens that can find solutions to all the challenges in the world.

• EXPERT CHALLENGE: STRIKES

In the future, to be able to negotiate and speak up for my rights, in my work field, I will need many skills.

Examples of skills that would be needed are:
    1. Preparation- this is likely to be the most important skill you must have. This is because you need to practice your tactics and tricks. You need to be able to determine your goals. What do you want to achieve?

2. Decision making- you need to be able to know what you are negotiating for. A higher pay? Better working conditions? Also, you must be able to come to a decision when negotiating with others.

3. Active listening- when negotiating with someone, you must be able to contently listen to their terms and what they believe should be done. Therefore, you would have a further understanding of the topic that you are negotiating on.

4. Having emotional intelligence- by this I mean, the ability to understand, use and manage your emotions, positively. When negotiating, you need to have empathy, which is to understand what the other side’s perspective is and take it into account. You also need communication. When disclosing your side of the negotiation, you need to be respectful and build trust. In addition, you would need have self management. Meaning, you will need to be able to control your emotions and keep calm.

5. Problem Solving, your aim would be for the negotiation to end in a win-win situation. Therefore, both sides would be satisfied. By using the skill of problem-solving, you would be able to find ways to get to this result in your negotiation.

6. Be able to ask developed and interesting questions.

7. Persuasion- you need to be able to easily persuade people, through the use of your language. It helps you encourage others to support your perspective.

8. Adaptability- this is an important still for negotiation. You need to be able to adapt quickly and create new plans, if needed. The opposing side may change what they want to achieve in the negotiation and you need to be prepared.

I believe schools are successfully helping pupils gain these skills.
    During class, we are taught the HPL goals and how to achieve them.
    We are also given the opportunity to negotiate when given class debates. These can develop many of the skills we need to be able to negotiate, such as preparation and active listening.

Thank you!

1. It's great to hear that you feel that your school is providing opportunities for you to develop important skills such as negotiation and active listening. These are valuable skills that can help you not only in your education but also in your future career and personal life.

But I want to ask whether or not all schools are successful in teaching these skills to their students. I think there schools that lack resources or training, which can hinder their ability to effectively teach these skills.
      And We should consider if the way in which these skills are taught is effective for all students. Every student learns differently, and some may struggle with certain teaching methods.

• I believe that negotiating and speaking up for my rights in the future will require me to have several essential skills and knowledge. These include good communication skills, critical thinking abilities, emotional intelligence, problem-solving skills, and a good understanding of my rights.I think schools are trying their best. For example, through social studies classes, we learn about our constitutional rights and freedoms. Some schools organize debates, discussions, and public speaking events that allow students to practice speaking up and expressing their opinions.
    I also believe that there is still room for improvement. Schools should do more to help students develop these skills early on by providing workshops and training programs. Additionally, teachers should encourage students to speak up and express their opinions in class regularly. It would also be helpful if schools could organize more mock negotiation exercises or simulations so that students can practice negotiating effectively in a safe environment.
    I agree that schools are doing a decent job preparing students to negotiate and speak up for their rights. However, they could do more to help us develop these skills early on. By providing more training and opportunities to practice these skills, schools can better prepare students for success in their future careers and personal lives.

• Hi there! As a student, I think that to negotiate and speak up for my rights in the future, I will need to learn how to communicate effectively, listen actively, and be confident in expressing my thoughts and opinions. It is also important to be knowledgeable about the laws and regulations related to my rights and be able to research and gather information to support my arguments.

I think schools are doing a good job of teaching us these skills by encouraging class discussions, group projects, and presentations. My teachers also emphasize the importance of respect and empathy towards others' opinions, which helps me understand how to negotiate and compromise.

However, I would like schools to offer more opportunities for real-world scenarios where we can practice negotiating our rights. For example, role-playing exercises or debates on current issues could help us develop this skill further.

I agree with other people's ideas that learning about conflict resolution and cultural awareness is essential for negotiating and speaking up for our rights. Additionally, having access to mentors or guest speakers who have experience in advocacy work could also provide us with valuable insights and knowledge.

• I think I will need to learn how to use my words and communicate effectively when I want to ask for something or express my feelings. It's also important to be confident in what I'm saying and to listen to others' opinions.

I think my school is doing a good job of teaching me these skills by encouraging me to participate in class discussions and show and tell activities. We're also learning about different emotions and how to express them in a healthy way. I do think that schools could do more to teach us about our rights and how to speak up for ourselves if we feel like something isn't fair. Maybe we could have more role-playing activities where we practice standing up for ourselves in different scenarios.

• communication skills

These skills help you get your ideas across in a meeting, or negotiate effectively with a coworker about the way forward. Some communication skills include: public speaking, negotiation, conflict resolution, trust, friendliness, and listening

• Welcome
    The future is something we all think about however
    What skills or knowledge do I think I will need to be able to negotiate and talk about my rights in my future job? I will need many skills like . I must have the ability to speak in a way that makes everyone accept my right, and I must be aware of some things, such as some laws related to work, in order to be able to ask for my right without any fear, because it is the law that gives us our right in everything. As for Are the schools doing enough to prepare me? Of course, she does this, and if she does not do this, no one will be able to go to university or succeed in anything. School is the basis of every information we know in our lives. School is what strengthens our capabilities. The school does things that no one else can do, and if you ask a successful person about the reason for his success, he will say to you without thinking, “the school.” Every moment in the school does a lot for us. If I succeed in my life, I will remember my school. As for schools that do not do this, they must do this in order to produce an educated and strong generation, and for the world to succeed. Thank you, my school, because you are the reason for my success and the reason for my happiness.

• The schools prepare me well. They teach me skills that I did not have, and I have a culture about things. We also try discussions with my colleagues about the rights needed at work, about the skills that I think I will need, and some of the skills
    1- Knowing how to speak fluently and boldly, and not to be nervous, because I participated in the school with a precedent for speaking and good reading
    2- Knowing the rights that I have to list and knowing what are the good rights that will suit me in my work in the future, i.e. firmness when making a decision
    3- To have distinct rights that make me enjoy my work and feel happy that the rights I want have been achieved because happiness makes me do my work perfectly

• Hello..
    (What skills or do you think you need to be able to negotiate and talk at work?!)
    1- (Digital literacy): This skill will ensure the use of various devices and application programs with ease, ease, confidence and safety... This is an important skill..
    Because in this era, technology has entered every business, and this will facilitate easy communication and collaboration, just as employees know and understand how it affects their jobs and businesses.

2- (Critical thinking) This skill will be very necessary in future professions... as you can know what is true and what is not true, and that this skill shows your intelligence and your handling of matters.

3- (Speaking intelligently.. what is little but useful).
    You must have tact and wit... You must be able to build relationships through your kind words.

4- (teamwork and mutual respect)
    Where you can gain good confidence to be able to work with the team and participate.

5- (The skill of dealing with others) which includes communication / interaction / flexibility, leadership / patience and many other skills that I did not mention...
    But: (Perhaps you, like me, found it difficult to choose a skill above yourself by thinking about your experiences during your life, where did you excel?!) And I would love to hear your opinion..

As for my school, it is part of my life, and therefore teaching it is part of my life... There are my family, there are relatives, friends and neighbours..
    And everyone gives advice and experiences through life which gives me the opportunity to gather as much information as possible in order to be conscious in the future...
    Thank you!

1. You are right. Perhaps I was a little confused, but as soon as you said, “Choose the skills in which you were successful in your life,” I knew what was the most appropriate thing, which is..
      (The skill of dealing with others)
      By nature, I have a respectful and interactive leadership personality...and I love my colleagues and neighbors because we have mutual respect...
      But really, I do not know how things will turn out in the future. Will I remain respectful or change it... Of course, I will not change my good behavior, but since I am a bit decisive...
      But I have a question for a problem I have!
      I am a leading personality but emotional and I do not control my sadness and my pain well...
      (How can I get rid of this emotionality in order to be stronger and stronger in the future? Do you have solutions?!)
      I care to hear your opinion

• Yes schools are doing enough to prepare me.
    Children speak up about the rights and the future they want.
    The opinions of children and young people might soon be playing a greater role in policymaking. We had a discussion about a group of five Children’s Rights organization's that launched an on-line survey and consultation with children, as well as the development of a report it.
    About the five child rights organizations the School is Teaching us so that we would know how to speak up in the future and our rights will not be violated:
    In preparing for the new EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child 2021 - 2024, the European Commission decided to set a new standard by inviting children living in Europe and beyond to share their views and influence how the strategy would be shaped and what topics it would prioritize. To this end, the European Commission called on five child rights organizations - Child Fund Alliance, Euro child, Save the Children, UNICEF and World Vision - to facilitate consultations with children across Europe and beyond, based on their collective experience of working with millions of children worldwide, evidence, research, and policies.
    self. The children’s voices will help inform the EU's Strategy on the Rights of the Child and the Child Guarantee.

• I will answer your questions frankly 1- We must learn to negotiate in the future and improve our relations between people. 2- Yes, and more than necessary. 3- The teacher encourages the students and urges them to make a good comment, and in our school we hold meetings about the festival. My teacher and the students participating in the festival are sad because it will end soon, and I would like to thank my teacher because she is in my critical condition with the comments she helps me and does not leave me alone. In the end, I hope that we will win the first level. This is not impossible for me, my aunt, and the participating students. Thanks to the wonderful festival designers.

• 1.What skills or knowledge do you think you’ll need to be able to negotiate and speak up for your rights in your future work?-The most important skill and knowledge that I need is the ability to stand in my point strongly and I must know how much people are supporting me and were or to whom the strike should be taken to so it could be much more impactful and while negotiating I must have the ability to drag on the negotiation so that I could get what I wanted and also should have the ability to accept some limitations in it at one point.
    2.Are schools doing enough to prepare you?-I think that the schools are doing a pretty good job in it. It is the first exposure provided for every person if their are 40 students in an class when ever the teacher asks you something you try to answer it even if you have a fear to answer thinking about what will happen if you answered it wrongly your friends and teachers will support you giving you confidence to speak your opinions before an crowd this is an important thing which the schools are teaching us indirectly.

• What are negotiation skills?
    persuasion. planning. Strategic thinking. Teamwork and cooperation. The next key you need to be an effective negotiator is clear communication. You must be able to clearly articulate what you want to the other party. This means clear oral and written communication. If you can't clearly tell the other person what you want, how do you expect to get it?

• The schools in my country are incomplete and unable to equip and prepare me for such, especially since all that is taken is theoretical and far from practical life. What the schools care about in general is a curriculum only and not to prepare and qualify my personality to demand and talk about my rights as I see it is obligatory and certain that Practical life is combined with the theoretical curriculum as well as prior preparation of the teaching staff itself to build a negotiating personality for me and other students.

• I will need a lot of skills to talk about my rights in the future with ease, and the most important of these skills are 1_ Good listening, as this is a very important skill and helps in enabling me to speak fluently as well. 2_ Solving problems is an essential thing in my life. You must be the most important. 1 / Self-confidence, you must not have a deficiency in your high potential and trust in your personality and your decision, because self-love is essential. 2/ Love of reading, you must have a love of reading in all areas of life by looking, expressing and giving opinion.
    3/ Decision making, you must make your own decision and not be reckless or rush to take any decision and control your feelings, nothing should affect you when the most difficult decision is the right and optimal decision for everyone. 4/ Asking questions, you must ask good questions and inquire about the details to find out more information so that you have the skill of speaking and negotiating about your rights in the future.
    I believe that schools provide us with the best possible way to prepare and equip ourselves to talk about our future work rights because they give us abilities to speak and participate in activities that help us to be good citizens in talking about our future rights at work.

• Do you know that, we kids have a broad mind but can't use it to the fullest.
    Subjects have been created for things like negotiation and speaking up otherwise known as assertiveness. The subjects include: Social studies, language at times, humanities, etc.
    Yes, my school is doing more than enough to guarantee excel in those areas.

• Negotiation is one of the things we practice constantly. Therefore, mastering this art is very important, especially in the field of school administration, as it resorts to this skill in accomplishing most of its work by virtue of its direct function in dealing with individuals in and outside the school community. Because their personalities reflect a good example for future generations whose cognitive and value composition is formulated influenced by the known and hidden education curricula. Through this research, we will see how we can develop our skills in this art by examining the historical development of it and the role of this skill in solving and confronting work problems through an analysis The problem and positive constructive dialogue as one of the alternatives to successful solutions that are placed on the list of priorities in the first choice that competes with many other alternatives and duration. Then it will put the importance of negotiating dialogue in making scientific and logical decisions through which we guide the school institution to reach its desired goals, and since negotiation is a dynamic process that takes place in situations In our daily life, it is a skill that the school principal usually needs and often resorts to in order to manage outstanding matters, and in order to achieve the best results in order to reach the best performance. We will be exposed to the dialogue that we deem appropriate to solve the problem and analyze it, and we will quote the appropriate indications from our cultural and religious legacies as rich in many successful dialogue and negotiation positions, and all of that is closed by the modern administrative character that is easy to negotiate and use according to the requirements of the modern administrative system that is constantly developing and modernizing at all levels as a skill. Positive dialogue and the arts of negotiation are among the basic sciences by which the success of the modern school institution is measured, which has taken from higher values ​​its mission and educational goals over the short and long term.

Genesis and development of negotiation skill:

Before we trace the historical origins of the skill of negotiation and clarify the importance of this skill in the lives of nations and peoples, we must answer the question: What is negotiation? It is a natural behavior that a person uses when interacting with his surroundings, and it is a process of continuous communication and communication between two fronts to reach an agreement that meets the interests of both parties ().

It is the process of dialogue, communication and continuous contacts between two or more parties due to the existence of points of agreement and differences in common interests.

The emergence of this science has evolved based on its extension through two basic angles, the first is the necessary angle and the second is the inevitable angle.

• One of the most important skills that I will need to claim my rights at work in the future is the skill of dialogue and discussion so that I can speak with employers and convince them of my right in a tactful manner, as well as the skill of communicating with others and working within a team because teamwork is able to influence strongly and bring about faster change.

• No one denies the role of schools in qualifying and preparing us, but this preparation is theoretical and in terms of memorization. As for the practical side and how to develop skills, it does not give enough time, and this is what makes most graduates unable to engage in the labor market as required and not having sufficient experience to claim their rights at work. .
    Therefore, I hope that a material in the curriculum related to skills development will be given weekly to students to educate them and develop their skills.

• The skills that should be and that I was taught about in school are strength of character and not backing down from the decision to give up your right If you are strong in character, then you can speak for everyone with boldness and be decisive in your decision, meaning that I have made the decision, so I must implement it and not be afraid, and also not give up my right because if I give up my right, people will take advantage of me

• I think that there are many skills that I need to have in the future and these skills will make me able to negotiate and speak up for my right some skills are connected with English language and others are connected with the character for example listening actively and speaking confidently and fluently. Listening skill is so important that it will enable me to lead up a debate and convince others with my point of view However. speaking skill will give me the opportunity to communicate with others solving problems and determine my goals .Other skills that can develop my character is the skill of making a decision, the skill of working under pressure, creating or adapting new plans if needed
    These kills I think will help me in future

• A strike is commonly considered the last weapon in the armoury of organized labor for settling industrial disputes Strikes may be specific to a particular workplace , employeer ,or unit within a workplace .Under some circumstances,strikes may take place in order to put pressure on the state or other authorities or may be a response to unsafe conditions in the workplace. Strikes often happens because workers want incharges to listen them . They hope that by stop working and doing protists , the people who makes decision and with whom they are not satisfied and agree e.g office head etc will listen to their demands.Strikes can also have a big impact on peoples lives.They should be practiced as they are the legal right of human being but we should avoid being violent and damage the surroundings.