Should performance enhancing drugs be allowed in competitions?

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

1.Should drugs be allowed in the olympics? A question many have asked. Many athletes such as Mary Okar Basley, Ashwini Akkunji and Mikko Ala-Leppilampi have been caught using these, making them perform much better and perhaps even win a few medals. I think as long as it is legal in the country it can be used BUT there must be a separate competition between drugs and no drugs so it is fair to both. With these 2 competitions a science experiment can be done by getting the 2 fastest and they race seeing how this drug affects the human body for educational purposes.

2.There are many different perspectives of using drugs in the olympic games. This can be good and bad in a way it will prove what the human body can do but on the other hand it might ruin or hurt someone. That would be bad for the people and its reputation. This can be good and bad but overall my opinion

3.In my opinion drugs should not be used in competitive games because you will have an unfair advantage which would make the sport for other players boring and they will probably stop playing because they would not be able to play well against them. A way to get good without drugs is by working out regularly and getting better at life.

Overall, I think that drugs should NOT be allowed in professional Olympic games because it will give all of the users an unfair advantage over all of the other people just trying to win for their country. On the other hand, taking drugs can hurt the human body quite badly if they are used incorrectly or too often. This could also be useful for scientists if they are trying to see how different drugs can affect people in things such as races, jumping or throwing. But overall, we all think that this would be a bad idea for professional athletes.

Comments (8)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• i think its not fair to be able to take drugs for the olympics as for some bodybuilders died of a e.g stroke and heart attacks

1. I agree with you because taking drugs in the Olympics can be seen as an unfair action because it provides an artificial advantage over competitors who adhere to the rules. The effects of doping can be severe, including health risks including hormonal imbalances, organ damage, and psychological effects. and tarnished reputations. Fair competition is at the heart of Olympic values, and using performance-enhancing drugs violates this principle. It removes the principle of playing fair and also removes the fun of the game. I feel there should be penalties for those caught doping like disqualification.

2. I agree with strong snake because it wont be fair for the Olympic players take enhanced drugs and i don't think is all the Olympics that will agree to take enhanced drugs and if half of them take and the other half don't take enhanced drug so it will be very unfair and it is obvious that is cheating and if the coaches find out the Olympics are taking enhanced they will remove them from the game.

3. Yes I agree but don't you think that the in take of some enhanced drugs can even boost the human system than affecting the internal organs? Because from my own perspective I think some humans can in take any drugs when it comes to the boosting or enhancing of the body system. Thanks

• I would say that taking performance in a competition is not good because sports is all about training and amd knowing how to perform a sport.

1. I agree with astounding turbine as athletes train and put in so much effort for years just for someone to take a drug and possibly beat their record.

2. Actually, I agree with you on your point, but don't you think that the in take of Enhanced drugs is only for the purpose to Enhanced their ability to do sports?

1. I cannot support the idea of enhancing one's ability by taking drugs. Why would we need to consume drugs to enhance our ability? I believe that if we work hard then we can also possess that ability without consuming drugs. I think sports were made to show and judge one's true potentials and fitness not just to show off their fake potentials to the audience. I think that it will be a fair competition only when all the athletes will show their true potentials. There are really no benefits in winning or playing games by taking drugs. It may give you fame and medals, but can you be true to yourself? Can you truly say to yourself that you work hurt for the medal after winning the competition by consuming drugs? The answer is obviously no. So why would we do such type of work that we cannot tell anyone proudly. I think there is no good in playing and winning a game by consuming drugs.

3. I really agree with astounding_turbine . He is right that sports are training and also taking things the easy way is never the right thing but hard work and training is the right thing to do. Thanks 😊

4. Actually, from my own perspective, I don't agree with the point which says that the use of enhanced drugs will make the sports less I don't agree, but rather make it more interesting to be watched. Knowing that some football players can't run quickly imagine if he takes in the enhanced drugs won't he be able to run faster than ever before? So with this enhanced drugs don't you think that, it will make the world of sports more entertaining and fun? Thanks.

• No i dont think it's fair to take drugs in competition especially Olympic competition because Olympic games need healthy bodies and drugs ruin your health and i also think it should be considered cheating since taking drugs is not any hard work and its not going to be fair for others too because they work hard so you shouldn't take drugs and they shouldn't be allowed. Thanks 😊

• In my opinion athletes should be allowed to have drugs because people want to know if they can do better in the running, plus it also give them a little bit more of a chance to win because caffeine and drugs give you some energy and in the running the drugs can make them have more energy so they run faster. What would happen if they had drugs while running? This year people are allowed to have drugs in the Olympics because everyone wants to know how people who are running. But I agree that it’s not fair that if someone took drugs and no one else did then that’s not fair because if they took drugs then it gives them more energy then they perform better then everyone is impressed then they run faster so then they win and it’s not fair, Thank you.

• I think it would be good to take drugs because we can learn something new and if someone took some drugs they would beat the world record and if they do not take drugs before
    the olympics they might get sick and die then they won’t attend it anymore.
    I think it also is bad and good besides it depends if more than one person does it because if one person does it the game wouldn’t be fair.

• I think it should not be allowed because we should show are ability and what we are capable of if we always using drugs people would think we are capable of if we did everything with drugs we could go to the Olympics and run out what would we do if people are cheating and the other people are working and training so hard and they lose. Would you like it if you were training none stop and people are use drugs and cheating and you lose?

• I honestly think that drugs should not be allowed either. This is because it causes unfair competition. Doping undermines the fundamental principle of fair competition. Athletes who choose not to use drugs would be at a disadvantage compared to those who do. The playing field should be leveled, skill should be the factor that differentiates athletes and not their ability to take drugs. This is the balance and doping disrupts this balance. The essence of sports lies in pushing human capabilities beyond it's limits within established rules. Doping compromises this essence by artificially enhancing performance. It reduces the originality of achievements and destroys the spirit of fair competition thereby reducing sport integrity. Doping undermines the purpose of sports. The joy in sport lies in demonstrating skills, determination, hard work and achieving excellence through natural abilities. Doping disrupts this by shifting the focus from genuine athletic achievement to chemical assistance. These are few reasons why I believe doping should not be allowed.

• I think doping in the Olympics is unfair because if an athlete dopes and manages to break a world record, it would be unfair because the person who set that record didn't use performance enhancing drugs. Plus, taking performance enhancing drugs is very dangerous because there is no proof to performance enhancing drugs being healthy and safe. According to Medical News Today, taking anabolic steroids puts you at risk of having kidney damage, increased aggression and disturbing the natural balance of hormones.