Global food crisis

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

Headline06-GlobalFoodCrisis-FestivalTopics-FeaturedImages

In this topic I want to find out that not only my country, but most of the countries in this world are suffering from food crisis even those countries that I thought at first that their okay. But the big question is how can we harmonize the little food we have so that we can share with our fellow countries that do not have.

We need to share the little we have through charities so that people can not die because of hunger. We can also decide to teach people how to grow those types of food like matooke, cassava, rice, sweet potatoes and Irish potatoes so that they can eat enough by deciding what amount to eat instead of people commanding them to eat little since their the owners of the food. Teaching them how to grow will also help them to cut costs to purchasing it from other people.

We can also support our neighbours by teaching them the kinds of foods that are grown in which type of season, kind of land and many others. This will help them to budget for this food in the near future in case of scarcity.

We should also learn the different kinds of food preservations and these include smoking, sun drying ,salting ,refrigerating and this foods like fish, meat will be kept for some good time and shall be used in case of scarcity.

The government can also workout some measures that can help to solve the problem of global food crisis for example it can decide to ban restrictions on the international market by allowing its citizens to transport those kinds of foods at a low cost charged on them as taxes and this will motivate them to work so hard since research has it that countries that depend on agriculture are economically stable since they get more income on these agricultural products.

Since climate change has really been a major factor that has contributed to food crisis, we need to teach our citizens more so farmers to know the best time to grow which kind of food crops like they should know when to grow maize for example one cannot grow it in a very dry season and yet it needs more water in its young stages.

I end by asking who is responsible for global food crisis. Is it the shortage of farmers nowadays or the changing climate?

Comments (22)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• First of all, climate limits access to food. It impacts agriculture and food production.
    Higher temperatures, water scarcity, droughts, floods, and greater CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere affect staple crops around the world. Corn and wheat production has declined in recent years due to extreme weather events, plant diseases, and a global water crisis. On the side of the farmers people prefer to do White collar jobs. Blue collar jobs are also good, and it should be encouraged. There are even mechanized implements that help the farming work easier. So, I feel that it is both shortage of farmers and the changing climate.

1. Thank you for your comment, funny_lute. What do you think higher CO2 levels in the atmosphere do to food production? Do they increase it or reduce it?

2. I agree that the environment limits access to food, it affects agriculture and food production.
      Harvests are affected by rising temperatures, water shortages, droughts and floods. Due to extreme weather conditions, crop diseases and a global water crisis, corn and wheat production has declined. Recently, in the world of 2022, everything will be replaced by AI technology, including art, and soon influencers will be replaced by AI technology. I expect that in 10 years, all major jobs will be replaced by AI, including agriculture. In conclusion, I believe that natural and man-made causes are the problem and this new technology will be the solution.

• - donate food to save lives.
    - make people's lives better.
    - people who leave their homes to flee the country are left with no homes and food so donate to save the world!!!
    - give food to homeless people.

Christmas is coming make people happier rather than people having no homes and no food

make people happy this Christmas!!!

1. I agree because they are all great ideas but what do you think you can do about it or how do you think you can get more people to make peoples lives better.

2. I like this comment because it has a good point about global food crisis.

• when people hear farming, they equate it with a poor man's job or a job that an uneducated person will do. Also being a farmer requires you to be physically active, work in sun, rain, winter. No one will know if a farmer will have profit is loss, his yield will depend on climate, and no one prefers to have loss in their business. No one would like to engage in such an unstable business.

1. accurate_wombat - great point, the perception of farming as a job will greatly impact interest in such work. Do you have any suggestions for highlighting the good things about the job or thoughts on agritechnology that could reduce some of the difficult parts of the job? Or do you think it is a hopeless case?

1. There are good things about farming. First of all a person who carries out farming earns both food and income since he also sells his produce and u also find that someone who carries out farming also rears animals at the same time you find that he is also able to get food for his animals and at the same time the animals' wastes will also be used as manure in his garden so as he can get good crop yields. But the main reason why I say that this job is good is because the farmer and his family will never lack food and if people use the resource around them like the land for farming they will actually curb this food crisis everyone is facing.
        But you also find that these farmers find difficulties in some parts of the job and they need to use some machines to ease their work like the Tractors to help them in clearing the land or even the sprinklers for irrigation and also the help of the oxen in ploughing the land.
        But as they say everything has advantages and disadvantages. So the disadvantages of farming are. It is tiresome and it requires a lot of labour to plant the crops, water them and even harvest and remember that they have to be paid so more expenses are used. And talking about the expenses, the farmer also has to pay for the different technology he will use on his farm whether he has rented or bought them. You also find that farmer might at some time face the problem of the changing climate like the too much sunshine that might dry up his crops which will lead to losses. Then when it comes to the transportation of his produce to the market where he also has to put more money and by the time he sells all his produce he or she will realize that it's not even equivalent or is even less compared to the money he used on all other stuff.

2. Farmers provide for the world! Modern technology can help to make farms much more efficient so that more can be produced more reliably.
      You are correct to say that a lot depends on the climate though! There are ways for farmers to protect themselves from some of those effects but they all cost money.
      Do you think that fewer larger farms might be better than many small ones ?

3. I agree because... it is what most farmer are not in the mode to farm thing that will not bring any yeild because food can easiely be damanged due to the lack of good weather which spoin people business so farmers end up leaving the area of farming to others sector

• The thing is that food Crisis is not ‘just’ correlated to farmers or Climate Change. What do we humans exactly do? We waste our food and complaint it further to the authorities to take mandatory steps. I agree that at some point food crisis can be caused due to vast Climate Change and Farmer shortage. Though, during normal days, in few countries despite having abundant food supply they face critical grain shortages. As said, “Prevention is always better than the cure” we all first need to start inculcating these small habits to our daily schedules and to further achieve great universalisation when ut comes to awareness.

1. How would you reduce food waste, decisive_reality?

1. Personally when it comes to my home, My mom absolutely hates wasting food though she wants to feed everyone equally and fully. Though, here in India it’s really good deed to feed cows and because these street cows eat plastic and hazardous material my family and I regularly feed cows every Saturday. This prevents food wastage as well it saves animals.

2. Fantastic point decisive_reality! I have spent some time working in hospitality and there was so much food wastage. Wastage is commonplace but perhaps not always noticed. For example, at an all you can eat buffet, where people take more food than they can eat, although they could have always gone back for another plate. There are some preventative measures, such as, charges / fines for leftovers, however, this practice is not commonplace. Do you have any suggestions that can help people to break the cycle of wasting food?

• Food shouldn't be restricted, limited, etc you name it it also should not be taken away from humans we all need to eat to live people have to STARVE for WEEKS if not MONTHS its not fair of the fact that alot of people cant afford, or have food like I said, food should not be restricted from humans, we'll die without it.

• I believe that countries need to start not only trading but giving away food resources. Countries such as, Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso,
    Cabo Verde,
    Central African Republic,
    Chad,
    Democratic Republic of Congo,
    Ethiopia, ect. are suffering from food hunger . I think to solve this problem people need to Enhance crops with biofortification and Make a plane in case of emergence so they can respond to the refugee crisis. There should also be more sanitation and cleanness so other countries would WANT to give to the and also want to trade with them.

1. Thank you for your comment, fulfilled_expression. Could you please explain what you mean by biofortification?

1. Biofortification is the process of improving the nutritional quality of food crops. This can be done through genetic engineering and genome editing. For example the biofortified variety of wheat is Atlas-66

• Ways we can help is donating food to selters and giving food to the homeless, etc you get the point people need help we can help in so many waysy but we dont even know how.

• From my point of view, I see that the lack of farmers and climate change have the same effect on the lack of food around the world, because at this time there are many fluctuations in the climate due to pollution caused by humans, and it is increasing greatly every day, and also the hole in the ozone layer is what irritates the atmosphere
    And it makes it volatile, and also the number of farmers decreases as time progresses, because people in these times do not care much about the agricultural profession, as it is an old profession, so it forces its children and pushes them to study modern disciplines.
    But in fact, it is not only the lack of farmers and climate change that cause the food crisis. There are many reasons that cause the food crisis, such as diseases that spread among plants, as well as wars that occur between countries. As a result of these wars, the soil may be destroyed by toxic gases and become unusable.
    Arable and we are educated here, we must educate the people about the importance of the agricultural profession and highlight its value.

• In my opinion, Climate change can disrupt food availability, reduce access to food, and affect food quality.For example, projected increases in temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns, changes in extreme weather events, and reductions in water availability may all result in reduced agricultural productivity.

1. Nice observation eager_seed! Do you have any solutions? What can we do about it?

1. There are a lot of solutions for global food crisis. By Experts assert that open trade, information transparency, waiver in food import bills, and, most importantly, free flow of fertilisers for farmers worldwide are the prominent calls to action to alleviate the situation. Also Fund Humanitarian Efforts to Prevent Famine can helpto solve global food crisis.

2. You raise good points! Climate change is having a big impact on agriculture. Science can help by developing crops which are more resistant to drought for example but it won't solve all the problems.
      Water availability is a huge problem. In many parts of the world such as the western USA, farmers have been draining the underground aquifers at an alarming rate to make up for lack of rainfall. When the water runs out it will take thousands of years to replenish.
      How do you think we could address water scarcity?

1. We can solve water scarcity problem by Solutions to addressing water shortages include dams and reservoirs, rainwater harvesting, aqueducts, desalination, water reuse, and water conservation, and Installing special tanks that store rainwater for irrigation. Also Establishing schools for farmers where they learn how to adapt to climate change with drought-resistant crops, crop rotation, and sustainable ways to raise livestock.

• I think to handle food crisis every one should ve knowledge abt this crisis by adding some lessons in kids curriculum as education is powerful tool .also on social media nd other social apps awareness abt fiid crises b given . I feel that most of people in my country even dont know global issues only becoz they ve no access to media. Some pple even ignore what s going around them . We should try to preserve our natural resources nd try to share as much as we can .try to change our life style if we r wasting even a single grain .as me after participating in this global festival r really started living with reality nd ve opened my eyes abt food wastage as I had been doing wasting it in my class bin when I feel my lunch is not good . I ve started sharing with others nd also started eating.

• I think that the food crisis is sometimes caused by climate change, but I think it is more caused by the lack of farmers, because the first time I saw the question, it occurred to me how there was no food crisis before, the climate in the region does not change (the region meant the town The town, according to its location, always has a normal climate in each of the seasons. I mean that in our country, for example, the rain does not fall in the summer and the sun does not appear much in the winter, for this is known, so I do not think that the food crisis is due to climate change), I mean that the climate is always known, and the farmers They take their needs, but I say that the food crisis occurs because of the farmers, and the lack of farmers leads to a shortage of food, and the lack of their number leads to not bringing everything they need in all aspects of the tools because of their small number, and also the lack of their number works to poor achievement, and this slows them down from extracting food for people, and this causes Hunger is sometimes like this, I think, because the lack of farmers is a problem in life, and I advise paying attention to crops so that they can make food and work to increase farmers on the one hand (increasing their salary, for example, thus encouraging everyone to work and also providing them with agricultural tools and others).

• I see that all natural disasters negatively affect farmers, such as (drought, floods and the risk of fires) negatively affecting farmers and destroying the land. From my point of view, the cause of all this is wars and natural disasters that negatively affect, not farmers.
    Natural disasters impede the work of farmers, making it difficult for agricultural production and sustainable development.

• I think both have their respective role in food crisis, i.e. the shortage of formers is cause of the conditions as the result of climate change.
    1. Many formers stoped harvesting the crops they got lost from due to land infertility and the cost of fertilizers.
    2. Many left due to unavailability of resources i.e. water and the energy crisis and hike in the prices of fuel etc.
    3. Urbanization has also playing a very strong role in food crises. People in remote areas or farm lands having difficulties to get basic life facilities i.e. schooling for their children and medical facilities etc.
    4. Farmers nowadays paid very low due to local dealership so they left forming for the good income jobs opportunities.
    As far as climate change is concerned there are many reasons resulted food crisis.
    1. Infertility, soil erosions flood are the result of good crisis.
    2. Land pollution and water contamination.
    3. Severe and prolonged weather conditions.
    4. Food distribution and wastage of stored food in rainstorms.

1. You raise really good points !!
      Climate change is a big problem for farming. What do you think we can do to help? I think science can help quite a bit with developing new crop types for example!

1. I think about some solutions which are low cast.
        1. Technology of Green houses play very important part in the areas where extreme weather conditions are the result of climate change, i.e. tomato crop.
        2. Technology for developing resilient agriculture also in progress according to the climate change effects of the country, i.e. wheat crop.
        3. Safe storage of food and technology to enhance shelf life also adopting by many countries, i.e. pickles, jams etc.
        What i like the most is Vertical Farming. If there could be possible to develop the trend of Vertical Farming at homes. Poeple can produce the sustainable crops under climate pressure at home. We can use rooftops for that purpose and greenhouse technology can help us. People can use wastage water after dish washing our cleaning and natural filters can be used to recycle that water for irrigation to the Vertical farmings at home.

• The problem of food shortage has appeared clearly in recent times, and there are many reasons for food shortage, such as the massive increase in population growth that exceeds the state’s capabilities in providing food, the spread of wars, the lack of food, the division of the world into developed and developing countries, the lack of various natural resources, and the elimination of The main developmental resources of developing countries, the poor distribution of resources between members of the same society, and the people of countries into two classes, the rich class and the poor class

• "We can also support our neighbours by teaching them the kinds of foods that are grown in which type of season, kind of land and many others. This will help them to budget for this food in the near future in case of scarcity."

I like this idea. Can you please expand on how we can make farming more resilient to change. We are going to see climates varying over the next century and despite efforts to stop climate change, one necessary step will certainly to become more adaptable to a changing climate.

1. Farming is a really lucrative job and pays good but in our society we have stereotyped this job to the lower class. Food security is critical to economic growth and solving the issue of world hunger. Developing resilient agriculture will need a lot of technology and practices that build on agro-ecological knowledge and enable small scale farmers to counter climate change in ways that maintain sustainable agricultural growth. Farmers around the world will need to produce more food and other agricultural products on less land, with fewer pesticides and fertilizers.

This must be done on a large scale

1. Very good points - seems like a big challenge? How do you think we can meet this large scale revolution needed?

• Food which you do not need give to the poor

1. Hi industrious_sealion, could you please explain your answer in a bit more detail?

1. As in there are people who are lucky that they are successful and have what to eat but u find that these people have a lot of food that even some of them keep until it gets bad and some just throw away there food when they feel like they are done with it yet there are people outside there who don't have what to eat. So instead of waiting for the food in the house to go bad or instead of throwing away food give it out to those who do not have because because by throwing away food you are promoting food wastage and remember we also have to eradicate this food crisis so let's share.

• Well all your points are very helpful and important,yes i think the shortage of farmers is also a contributing factor, well from where i come from most people see farming as a work for the poor and most people don't want to engage themselves in farming because they feel they are too rich to be doing that kind of job. so most at times they wait for the "poor farmers" to farm and them they just buy. Well in this case what can we do? because when it comes to teaching other people they are not willing to learn so we are just left to do it by our self. The question here is what can we do to help more people engage in farming especially the first class citizens? And also the rural-urban migration is a contributing factor in this because most people migrate from the rural areas to the urban areas leaving the urban areas with no land to farm and the rural areas with enough land to farm and due to this migration there will be few people in the rural areas that would farm, and even at that when they farm it would not be a large scale farming, most at times it would just be a small scale farming of food just for their families and this causes food shortage in a country.So i think most people should utilize the land they have and start using in to farm even if it is located in the rural areas cause a lot of land has been abandoned in the rural areas.
    Also another contributing factor is the invasion of pest into peoples farmland, pest destroys over 50% agricultural crop annually, well chemical pesticide has been use but most people say that chemical pesticide is not the best so most people have resulted in using organic pesticides which usually come from natural resources like neem oil spray and also scare crows have been used to reduce the rate at which pest attack our farmlands.

• this is what to do for the homeless people donate food to save lives.
    - make people's lives better.
    - people who leave their homes to flee the country are left with no homes and food so donate to save the world!!!
    - give food to homeless people.First of all, climate limits access to food. It impacts agriculture and food production.
    Higher temperatures, water scarcity, droughts, floods, and greater CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere affect staple crops around the world. Corn and wheat production has declined in recent years due to extreme weather events, plant diseases, and a global water crisis. On the side of the farmers people prefer to do White collar jobs. Blue collar jobs are also good, and it should be encouraged. There are even mechanized implements that help the farming work easier. So, I feel that it is both shortage of farmers and the changing climate.

• give food banks long lasting - items because people in need want food because they are homeless.

make peoples life change by donating food to your nearest foodbank

1. You can definitely help people by donating food! Ultimately though, would it be better if people could afford to buy their own?
      Do you think that maybe some people could become dependent on donations?

2. i agree with the long lasting items as the people who re in need of it will have to be rationed over a long time period as they don't have much food so it'll have to be spread over a while. also long lasting food means it wont expire over a long time frame

• I like that you say we should share food. I don't think the problems we have are problems of production, but of distribution and waste. We produce a huge amount of food, but we also waste a huge amount. First of all people in western countries eat much more than before and that's because food is available at every corner. This is a form of waste. We also throw away a lot of food because it expires or we buy too much or portions are too big in restaurants.

• Food is the most essential part of our life. Without food it is obviously impossible to suvive, if you talk about food, then there are lots of people who are actually facing a lot of obstacles for food in their daily life and we must never forget that we get food only by the hardwork of farmer. A farmer is a person engaged in agriculture, raising living organisms for food or raw materials. The term usually applies to people who do some combination of raising field crops, orchards, vineyards, poultry, or other livestock. We must salute to all the farmers, but nowadays if you are talking about farmers as your aim or the achievement or work, we are actually having the vision as a less-attentive work or the work for the old people and all. Most people see farming as a work for the poor and most people don't want to engage themselves in farming because they feel they are too rich to be doing that kind of job. so most at times they wait for the "poor farmers" to farm and them they just buy. I literally think we must remove the vision that farmers are themost important person not only for the nation but also the citizens of the nation.

1. I agree with you, but why did you mean the peasants by the poor? I do not think that the poor are always farmers, so the doctor could also be a farmer, or the teacher, or the engineer, and others, because the farmer is a craft and not a profession, because it is for those who find it and know it, and it is not only for the poor?

1. I actually too agree with the statement that only the poors are not farmer, but in the point what I mean to say is if you are looking at the world each and every citizens may not be so like you know shaming in this profession, but looking it in overall the conception people have is that farmer is a low job and if you ask about the aim, the profession people have to be furtherward, people will be saying doctor, engineer, bank manager and all, but very few are interested in farmers or we can say they show the shame in this profession.

1. Yes, I think that some show shame in this profession, But I think that we can show the importance of agriculture and farmers to them, for example, by saying that not every society needs a teacher, doctor, or engineer only, and other famous professions, so how can To eat, to prepare medicine, and to live in a more correct way, because agriculture and bringing food are the most important thing For example, a doctor can use herbs and crops as medicine for the patient, and the teacher can explain plants, and the engineer has some agricultural engineers Other than that, agriculture and food build the whole body So I think agriculture benefits everything.

• Climate change impacts agriculture, food production, and limits access to food. Higher temperatures, water scarcity, droughts, floods, and greater CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere affect staple crops around the world. In recent years corn and wheat production has declined due to extreme weather events, plant diseases, and global water crisis. On the other hand, farmers prefer to do White collar jobs. Blue collar jobs are also good, and it should be encouraged. There are even mechanized implements that help the farming work easier. In my opinion, I think that is both a shortage of farmers and climate change.