Catch up on the live lesson

Catch up on our live lesson about AI: education and the future of work.

With the help of experts from PA consulting and Festival expert, Daniel Hulme, vote in polls and consider key questions about the effect that AI will have on the future of work and in education.

Video not working? Follow this link: https://vimeo.com/913720268/7dda46c4a1

Comments (15)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think that some of the potential effects that AI will heart on the future of work and education would have to be automation of tasks. AI will be able to make some jobs efficient and allowing humans to focus more on complex and creative work in education AI can personalize learning experiences provide instant feedback and enhance accessibility. I mean that this is an exciting time where AI and education intersects.

1. I agree AI will very much be a big factor in the future.It will help so many people in different ways that we possibly don't even know yet. Some examples could be for agricultural purposes or making more things that we can't access for ourselves by the Ai technology accessing it for us. I feel that Ai will always continue to expand and we are just looking at what will soon be a new world of technology!

2. Absolutely,you've hit the nail on the head ! AI's impact on the future of work and education is profound . With automation streamling tasks,human can indeed delve into more intricate and creative endeavors. In education ,AI ability to personalize learning, offer immediate feed bacck and improve acessibility opens doors to an exciting frontier. It's a dynamic intersection that promises a world of possiblities.
      Thanks!

3. I disagree with you educated fox because AI cannot help in education sector because in situation where an AI just walks into a class, well we all know it was programmed to do what it does it will just say what it was programmed to say and leave the class it wouldn't give further information or break the words down for students to understand it clearer and easier.
      In conclusion I will say that AI will be used in the future of education.
      Thanks.

1. I disagree because … AI helping in education does not mean a robot walks into a class to teach. AI(artificial intelligence)can help in many ways such as videos, presentations, research etc. When teachers are unavailable students can decide to watch a video and research to get resources, information and answers containing solutions. Take this scenario:
        Your test is the next day and since your teacher is not online to teach you, you watch YouTube videos to have an idea on the topic. Hasn’t AI helped you in your education?

4. I totally agree with you. Ai is already in our everyday life and in my country there is so much discussion about it, especially in education. Even if we are talking about it I should say that at schools is not a tool that we use and we are not so familiar with so much.
      Howevr6 in future in my opinion will definitely be mixed with many educational tools and especially university students will be helped in their autonomous learning.

1. I completely agree with you. AI is already a part of our daily lives, and in my country, there is extensive discussion about its role, particularly in education. However, currently, it is not widely used as a tool in schools, and people are not very familiar with it. Nevertheless, in the future, I believe it will be integrated with various educational tools, and university students, in particular, will benefit from it in their independent learning.

5. I'm not sure about this because...
      AI will very much be a big factor in the future. AI is already helping in our everyday life and in some countries, there is so much discussion about AI devices especially in education.

However, we're considering how AI will affect the future of work. There's a lot of uncertainty around how AI will affect the job market, and we're looking at questions like:
      - Will AI replace certain jobs, or simply augment the work that humans do?
      - Will AI create new jobs, or make existing jobs more efficient?
      - Will the skills that are in demand today still be in demand in the future, or will AI change the skill set that's required for success?

AI devices have disavqantages:
      1. High Costs The ability to create a machine that can simulate human intelligence is no small feat. It requires plenty of time and resources and can cost a huge deal of money. ...
      2. No Creativity A big disadvantage of AI is that it cannot learn to think outside the box. ...
      3. Unemployment ...
      4. Make Humans Lazy ...
      5. No Ethics ...

6. I agree with you educated_fox, insightul prespective on the impact of AI on the future of work and edu ation. Its clear that AI hss the potenrial to complete tasks easily, making certain jobs more easy ans freeing up humans to focus on harder and creative endeavors. Additionally, in the world of education, AI cqn personalize learning experiences, offer instant feedback, and improve accessibility.
      Thank you.

• AI will definitely affect education and has already done it in many different aspects. It is used in writing , in listening where Aibots speak instead of humans. What made me surprised was a really imaginary pictured we had to describe on our class and the teacher told us AI made it. Personally I believe that AI will.play a bigger role on students of older ages like university where autonomous leaning is required

• Hello.
    During the live lesson, we looked at and discussed the negative impacts of AI on future work, and we agreed that the negative outweighs the positive currently. Why do I say this will be explained in the points below?
    1. Job displacement: AI can automate repetitive tasks, which might lead to job losses. Imagine assembly line workers replaced by robots or chatbots handling customer inquiries instead of human agents.
    2. Skills Mismatch: As AI evolves, certain skills become more valuable, like Workers who lack these skills may struggle to find employment. For instance, data scientists are in high demand due to AI-related roles.
    3. Inequality: AI adoption isn’t uniform. Some benefit, while others suffer. Think of self-checkout kiosks in stores—convenient for customers, but they reduce cashier jobs.
    4. Ethical Concerns: AI systems learn from historical data, which can be biased. Imagine an AI rejecting job applications based on biased patterns from the past.
    5. Loss of Human Interaction: Picture automated phone menus replacing human receptionists. While efficient, it lacks the warmth of personal interaction.
    AI's negative effects also dominate in the responsibility needed to be executed in school:

1. Teacher Displacement: AI grading tools can replace teachers’ manual work. While efficient, it reduces the need for educators.
    2. Data Privacy: Schools collect student data for personalized learning. But what if that data gets mishandled or hacked? Leak of confidential information and even money.
    3. Bias and Fairness: AI algorithms can unintentionally favor certain groups. Imagine an AI tutor recommending STEM careers to more boys than girls. which is not fair!
    4. Overdependence: Relying solely on AI for teaching might hinder critical thinking. It’s like relying on GPS without understanding maps.
    5. Lack of Emotional Intelligence: AI lacks empathy. Students need human mentors for emotional growth as part of their developmental stages.
    6. Limited Customization: AI personalizes learning, but it’s not perfect. Imagine a student struggling with math, yet the AI insists on more math exercises. Isn't it questionable? while the student needs time to re-emphasize the particular topic. AI suggests being more unlike humans.
    7. Accessibility: Not all students have equal access to technology. Imagine a child without a computer trying to keep up with AI-powered lessons.
    We need to remember that these are challenges we must address presently as AI becomes more integrated into our lives. Balancing technology with humanity is key, or humans will be greatly excluded.

• Going to school can make one achieve a lot of things in life.example are; reading, writing,skill acquisition,social skill,it build confidence,good communication skill,it teachers empathy,it encourage critical thinking, development of goals,it reduces poverty,it impact in life's,it benefit the country.
    It promotes gender equality because different gender come together to acquire knowledge and share knowledge,it brings different races together to achieve a goal.
    Without education the world would have not been a comfortable place to be in today.those that developed this advanced technology that is making our work easy ,faster and stress free are all educated people.if they were not educated would we have enjoyed all this comfort.for example Steve jobs who is an entrepreneur and co founder of apple ,his passion for design and user experience led to the creation of great products like macintosh and iPhone which have shaped the way we interact today.other brilliant mind that contributed to technology
    *James Maxwell
    *Nikola Tesla
    *Max Planck
    * Ernest Rutherford
    *Richard Feynman
    * Tim berners.etc.
    Some who is not educated, will always be cheated and will not be respected in the society.the uneducated are mostly the cause of all the crime in our society.they can't communicate properly when having a serious conversation.they will not be offered a good job when employed.
    What I want to achieve is self confidence, knowledge and I want to be outspoken and outstanding in the mist of my peers.
    Everyone has been given the right to education, technology has made it easy that you don't have to go to school to get educated when you can do that in your home.

And don't forget "READERS ARE LEADERS".

• I think you meant "education" instead of "ingeducation." 😄 You're off to a good start, but the sentence is a bit confusing. Here's a reworded version that might make more sense:
    "With the help of experts from PA consulting and AI pioneer, Daniel Hulme, you'll have the chance to vote in polls and consider key questions about how AI will affect the future of work and education."

To elaborate on your original statement: "With the help of experts from PA consulting and AI pioneer, Daniel Hulme, you'll have the chance to vote in polls and consider key questions about how AI will affect the future of work and education."
    First, I should explain who the experts are: PA consulting is a global consulting firm that helps organizations to become more efficient and innovative. Daniel Hulme is a pioneer in the field of AI, and has worked on many groundbreaking projects. He's also the CEO of Inflection AI, a company that's focused on developing ethical and safe AI solutions.

1. I'll go into more detail about the key questions we're asking. First, we're considering how AI will affect the future of work. There's a lot of uncertainty around how AI will affect the job market, and we're looking at questions like:
      - Will AI replace certain jobs, or simply augment the work that humans do?
      - Will AI create new jobs, or make existing jobs more efficient?
      - Will the skills that are in demand today still be in demand in the future, or will AI change the skill set that's required for success?
      We're also looking at how AI will affect education. Will AI make learning more personalized, or will it change the way that we measure and assess knowledge? Will AI allow for more collaborative and engaging learning experiences, or will it simply replace teachers? Will students still need to attend school in person, or will remote learning become the norm? There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to the future of education, and we're considering all of them.

1. Well said spirited_concept.
        Additionally, we are to examine how AI will influence the field of education. Will AI result in more personalized learning experiences, or will it transform the methods we use to measure and evaluate knowledge? Will AI facilitate more collaborative and engaging learning environments, or will it simply substitute for human educators? Moreover, will students still need to physically attend school, or will remote learning become the standard? The future of education holds numerous possibilities, and we are carefully considering all potential outcomes.

Thank you.

2. Thanks for catching that mistake! I appreciate the rewording and clarification. It's great to have more information about PA Consulting and Daniel Hulme, a respected AI pioneer. With their expertise, participants will have the opportunity to engage in polls and explore important questions surrounding the impact of AI on the future of work and education. Understanding the background of these experts provides valuable context and enhances the overall understanding of this exciting opportunity. Thank you for the insightful elaboration.

• I think that the potential effects of AI in future work should occur in some works like farming. We all know that developed places can now make ridges with tractors and that makes it easier and faster in making ridges and so in the future all other machines like machines for harvesting of crops will possibly be created that could help in making farm work easier and faster.

1. How do you think this would benefit farming?

1. Why I believe that it will benefit farming is because in some places where they don't use tractors to make ridges, it takes time to make the ridges and sometimes some seed that are supposed to have been planted will be delayed because of the fact that the ridges are not ready and it will make the seeds not to grow well because of the late planting but with the aid of the machine, the ridges will be made on time and all the seeds will be planted on time and therefore will grow well. So it will lead to the rapid growth of the seedlings.

1. I agree because... This will also help those that were soppose to make the ridges to be free from that rigorous process of using hoe and other materials that are not enhanced, and also for them not to loose their source of income, they will still upgrade to learning how to make use of tractor, even though some of them will not afford to buy it, they can still hire it and this will definitely enhance the fastness and quick farming.
          THANK TOU.......

2. I believe that the introduction of AI-powered machinery in farming will be beneficial due to the time-saving impact on crucial tasks, such as ridge-making. In regions where traditional methods are utilized, the manual creation of ridges can be time-consuming and lead to delays in planting. This may affect the growth of seeds, causing them to be planted late and potentially hindering their development. By implementing machinery, ridges can be efficiently and promptly created, allowing for timely planting and fostering the rapid growth of seedlings. This can ultimately contribute to improved crop yield and efficiency in farming practices.

3. I agree that AI benefits farmers in many ways. But I would like to ask "How can AI help farmers in Agricultural Marketing sector".
          What are your thoughts on this?
          Thank you.

2. Hello,Eva @ Topical Talk

I believe that AI will benefit farming because it will create a smart agriculture by solving all the problems in the agricultural sector. Currently, agriculturel production is decreasing due to reduction in agricultural land, climate change, increase in salinity etc. Artificial intelligence will play an important role in increasing production in the agriculture . artificial intelligent improves farming very easily and quickly.

At present, Australia, China, Canada, and India have made progress in agriculture by using artificial intelligence. It provides information about soil conditions and crop yields by monitoring soil and plant. AI technology quickly and easily separates good and bad seeds, and applies pesticides at the right time. It also helps in identifying various diseases of plant. AI helps to sow more seeds in a faster time. Thus artificial intelligence has increased the production of agriculture . In this way, farming will be benefited by AI.

2. I agree because...
      I believe that the future impact of AI in work can significantly influence industries such as farming. Currently, developed areas are employing advanced techniques, like utilizing tractors to create ridges, which streamlines and accelerates the process. Looking ahead, it's conceivable that further AI-powered machines, for example those dedicated to crop harvesting, will be developed to enhance the efficiency and speed of farming operations.

• I think AI help jobs like AGRICULTURE, AI can help by using AI bots to analyze the fertility of the soil and providing it with the necessary nutrients. AI can create seeds that have a mixer of two different kinds of fruits seeds so new kinds of fruits can be born, also creating seeds that can withstand disasters severe whether conditions and pests. AI drones can survey the farms and check for any intruders, AI drones can easily spray fertilizers and insecticides and can easily water crops . I also believe that AI can assist in being a therapist, In the film the Pod Generation, we could see a humans expressing his/ her emotions to an AI and the AI easily responded by giving advice that a normal human could to another human. AI can also develop new ways for humans to advanced there ways of constructions, education and healthcare, AI can advancing our world , and slowly AI is starting to express emotions just like a human.

1. I agree because... AI can do so much when it comes to agriculture, like creating hybrids which will able to do better than the parent crop. AI can help farmers to produce crops that are more immune to disease and can adapt better crazy and unpredictable weather conditions. AI can help scientists to find plant species which perform better and then cross them, thereby creating even better hybrids.
      AI also has the ability to analyze the chemical constituents found in specific soil samples. This means that AI can determine the nutrients which the soil may be lacking. This can help farmers enrich their soil and help crops grow bigger and better. AI can identify crop diseases making the work of farmers easier. It is also really shocking that AI can even predict crop diseases before they even happen. AI can also aid agriculture by collecting data on how plants grow. AI can help produce crops that are less prone to disease and better adapted to weather conditions. With the help of AI, scientists can identify the best-performing plant varieties and crossbreed them to create even better hybrids.

• AI has the potential to assist teachers in various ways, including:

1. Personalized Learning: AI can create personalized learning plans for students based on their individual needs and progress, allowing teachers to better support each student's academic growth.

2. Grading and Feedback: AI-powered tools can assist in grading assignments and providing immediate feedback, freeing up teachers' time for more personalized interaction with students.

3. Administrative Tasks: AI can automate administrative tasks such as attendance tracking, scheduling, and resource organization, allowing teachers to focus on teaching.

4. Lesson Planning: AI can provide teachers with resources, lesson plans, and recommendations tailored to specific learning objectives and student needs, saving time and improving instructional effectiveness.

5. Student Support: AI chatbots can provide additional support to students by answering questions, guiding them through coursework, and offering educational resources.

Overall, AI has the potential to streamline administrative tasks, improve instructional quality, and enhance the overall teaching and learning experience for both educators and students.

• I do think that some of the effects that AI will improve in the future of work and education would have to be automatic and reduce the tasks of the teachers .AI will be able to make some jobs efficient and allowing humans to focus more on hard and creative work in the life of education ,AI can make it’s lessons to be personalize learning experiences provide a fast means of communication for humans through apps like Facebook , messenger and telegram it has advanced the business and enhance accessibility to social media .I will say that this is the generation that AI and education works together and make a perfect goal .

• I think AI can eliminate some boring jobs such as office jobs, It can also provide more people the chance to have more time per day, I personally think some jobs just can't be done using AI such as most jobs in the medical field as they require a lot of patience and great focus. So in conclusion i'd say that AI won't take over the world any time soon as it won't be able to complete every job or task efficiently as humans with more experience and focus. So we are surely better than AI and i think that won't change any time soon considering that technology is seemingly slowing down in recent time.

1. Thanks tough_impression! Can you say more about how technology is seemingly slowing down in recent time?

• Hi,
    I think that many jobs cannot be done by AI, especially those which are emotion based. AI cannot do jobs such as being a Lawyer and also being a teacher because these jobs have to do with personal understanding. Imagine a teacher who doesn't understand whether or not his students are grasping a concept or one that isn't good at explaining using good examples, I think that these are the major limitations of AI in the teaching industry.
    AI as a lawyer would also have a downside as some crimes a severe reason for being committed. AI can also be bias because it is hackable.
    I think that AI can never replace humans in some fields but should rather help us in bulky works.

THANKYOU.

• I believe that we can replace many jobs with Ai instead of humans, in some simple jobs. But we must know that humans will not be completely replaced in the future by Ai, as some jobs cannot do without the human mind.
    Allowing artificial intelligence to do simple jobs leaves room for humans to bay more attention to the complex jobs that require the human mind, such as development and learning more about how to maintain and grow with artificial intelligence.
    And also jobs that need feelings, such as artists and musicians

• AI is the future, and indeed many jobs have been replaced by artificial intelligence instead of humans, and this has been very successful and has helped in achieve success in the fields which it has been replaced. But can AI be replaced by humans 100%? Of course not. Artificial intelligence helps humans accomplish tasks faster and more accurate way and deliver them better. There are many jobs that AI cannot replace humans, such as journalists, consultants, and also musicians, as it requires the presence of feelings that cannot be achieved by artificial intelligence.

• As a student, in developing countries like ours, I think the biggest challenge in leveraging AI in business and other tasks is the skill gap; as the use of AI is spreading very rapidly, the professionals who can serve market needs in this field are still in short supply, so our youth has to get ready to develop strong foundations in mathematics, calculus and algebra right at school and college.

• Al is so new and has already such a big impact on our society and daily life. I find it very interesting how our world can be changed in such a short amount of time. Often I hear now, my fellow schoolmates talking about how they’re using AI for their homework or school related assignments. I myself am absolutely not in the whole artificial intelligence business which is why I’m looking at the whole topic from a very amazed and also a bit unconvinced standpoint 👀