Gender and journalism: poll results!

We asked whether you agreed with the statement: "Women are better at reporting about women and men are better at reporting about men.”

The results are in...

Women-in-media

Comments (18)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• When I learning in class I learnt that in sports like football that I saw lots of men play football on tv more then woman because I think that men’s sports is more popular then woman’s sports. And in tennis men’s play longer then woman and the tickets to the men’s are more expensive then the woman’s which in my opinion it’s not right, they both should have the same amount of time and money to tickets. Also in some jobs they pay the men more money then woman and I just think that is totally not fair at all, everyone should have the same amount of money because what if the women’s are short on money and they really need money then that’s just wrong. Who agrees with me?

1. i do agree to some part of this discussion i am torn apart for the both genders the fact that men play ball more than women doesn't mean that the opposite gender is better than the other women can play like men and nothing would change so to a point i both genders can posses the same skill but the only thing that would make them different is they are both from different genders men and women aren't so different just like the saying what men can do women can do better it is just a stereotype saying both men and women can do one thing and both do it efficiently.

• I expected this because women have a deep understanding of the preferences, likes, and dislikes of other women, including their choices in news consumption. This makes them well suited for reporting on women's issues, as they can provide insights and perspectives that resonate with female audiences. Similarly, men possess an understanding of what topics and angles would appeal to other men in the news. Their insights into male interests and preferences enable them to effectively communicate news stories in a manner that resonates with male viewers or readers. By having reporters who can relate to and understand the interests of their respective gender audiences, news organizations can better tailor their content to meet the needs and preferences of diverse audiences. This understanding enhances the overall quality and relevance of news reporting, ensuring that it remains engaging and informative for both male and female audiences alike.

• The result was not what I expected I was thinking the other way round because I believe irrespective of gender everybody that is good are doing something could be best in reporting that program. This is because sometimes there could be men that are very good and are perfect at reporting something and they could do better in giving that information than women so if we say that the women should still give that reports then we are not going to get the best out of it. So to me the result is so fair.

1. I agree with you. I also didn't expect that most of the topical talkers would agree with the statement. I think when we agree with the statement, we support the social stereotype about gender inequality. Everyone is unique, they shouldn't be judge by their genders. I think it shouldn't be done in any job. Journalists undergo various training and skill development. They have the potential to report news about any topic regardless of their gender. When women report about men and men report about women, we make a society where gender inequality doesn't exist.

• Yes I also thought this a person who never experienced any pain and did not undergo that problem daily can never understand the emotions of the person who experiences this...like that a womens problem can be and should be understood by a men but not as emotionally like a women can understand...we both genders should understand each other's problems but in some circumstances there are situations where we need a genuine support of a same gender who can also undergo the pain and the problem we are today..like a news of harrasment of a women should be reported by a women who can give her point on the behalf of the victim as a women can only understand the pain of another women in such conditions..this doesn't mean that mens cannot report such problems or they can't share their problems but practically they might be a little aggressive or shy towards such cases which I think is not their fault...also another factor affecting this is making the person who suffers comfortable..truly speaking a women can only genuinely share problems of another women and same with men..but at last I don't mean that only same gender should understand each other problems but opposite genders should also try to be a support to other genders..!!

• Not really what I expected, to be honest with you I don't feel that we can promote gender equality by making the same gender report about their gender, how does the world want to break the biased wall if we do not know about the opposite gender. Now its not like I'm trying to say that the people that agreed with this are wrong because everyone has their opinions and views, but I personally feel that both genders should be able to report about themselves.

• Yes! I agree. Woman are more emotional and intuitive and can be very objective in describing or reporting a situation than men who could decide to spice up of the story for some other reasons.
    Although on the other hand, one could say that it all boils down to what is at stake.

• Yes I agree with this statement because I think that if they Yep if the same fender then the other may have had a similar experience so he/she will be able to easily relate with the other and also share some experiences.
    On the other hand it is not advisable for the opposite fenders to report each other because there is a chance that they will not be able share private things die to the fact that they are not if the same gender.
    So, these are my reasons for me thinking that "women are better at reporting each other and the same foes for the males.
    THANK YOU

• I am not surprised that most people agree, i mean who knows a woman better than her fellow gender? because it is actually a true fact that'' women are better at reporting women and men are better at reporting men''. Why i say this is true is because in my opinion, we all are grown in this way of learning about similar genders and not bothering about the opposite gender so it is easier for women to report women and men to report men.
    Thank you!

• I agree with this statement because they will be able to share personal experiences because they are of the same gender, also, they will be able to relate more perfectly because maybe they have had similar experiences, and with this, they will be able to;
    Share personal experiences
    Relate more with each other
    Advise experience.
    THese are a few things that are beneficiary when people are of the same gender.
    THANK YOU

• The misconception that an individual's ability to report effectively is based on their gender is completely untrue and has no basis in reality whatsoever. It is crucial to understand that capabilities like conducting comprehensive research, evaluating information with a critical eye, and delivering facts impartially are not restricted by gender. To genuinely advocate for equal opportunities in reporting, it is essential to avoid relying on gender stereotypes.

• I do not know where to stand on this topic because the questions is always how are men better than woman or how are woman better than men but its never how can we bring equality. I know many times one career field may be dominated by men or women but most of the time it does not mean women cannot apply. I believe shouldn't ask how are the better but how are they or how can we make the career opportunities equal.

• Hello brothers and sisters on topical talk.
    I really agree with these results because women know much more about themselves and know how to talk about each other in the best ways possible and that is the same with men.
    So i agree with these results but i thought " I Agree " would have much more votes but everyone has their own opinon.
    Thats it and bye 👋

• I predicted that the majority would agree with me because there are numerous stories about men but there are multiple women who have done amazing things and have barely been highlighted for their achievements. Did you know that Cole Brauer was the first woman to sail around the world? This happened just 5 days ago. Not only that, but the fact that nobody around me seems to know about this is crazy. It highlights the scarcity of news about women, which is unfathomable.

• I think that the results came out fair and I agree with the turn out. Women will be better at reporting about women because they are all women alike. The same goes for men. They will understand how to convey the message properly and they will be able to put themselves in each others shoes. You won't be able to convey information that you don't understand and that is why I think that they will be better off reporting about each other. Moreover, in a case where news or information needs to be extracted from a victim or witness, someone that understands them will be the best option. They will be able to show empathy in whatever situation the victim is going through and they will be able to get them to open up to them because they will feel safe and understood.

• Hello guys and Namaste ...
    Today this topic I find interesting.. So I agree with your statement. Women have a very good understanding about women because she knows well what kind of problems she faces in several situation.. And what help she need and she can able to say that she comfortable or not because as a girl ahead knows everything about a girl..
    So men also have a deep understanding about men because he able to know what problems he is facing in day to day life .....
    Thank you..

• The result was what I expected because woman are literally women and they talk more about themselves more then men. Most men also prefer talking about themselves and their own gender too.

• Also, I know this isn’t what the topic is about but no one has been giving me stars to most of my comments. Even my teacher checks my sentence but no one has gave me stars.
    I find this a bit disappointing and hopefully It can change. Sorry to complain but I’m not the only one in my class that feels like this. Sorry if this has disturbed you. Topical talk is one of my most favourite websites that I know and I hope it can stay like that.

1. Hi resourceful_ferret. I'm sorry that you have felt disappointed about your comments not receiving stars. We try everything we can to make the star system as fair as possible, but sometimes good comments get lost in the amount of ones we have to moderate. We'll try hard to make improvements next time, as your work is really value to the Festival!

• Hi,there.
    The results of this poll did not match my expectations. I thought most people would disagree with the statement "Women are better at reporting about women and men are better at reporting about men". But according to the results of the poll, most people agree with this statement. I think this statement shows gender inequality. says Every journalist should report objective, unbiased and accurate information to the audience. There should be no discrimination between men and women while reporting the news. Both men and women can report on either. Both men and women should report independently on any subject regardless of gender. Both men and women have the ability to search for any gender related information. Both men and women can solve any complex problem. There should not be gender discrimination. Agreeing with the above statement and agreeing with social stereotypes will be the same. We all need to remember that both men and women are reporters and both have the ability to report. Gender should not be discriminated in this regard.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to comment.

1. Thanks for sharing your ideas! What might be some advantages of only reporting on the same gender?

1. Hi, some of the advantages of only reporting on the same gender are:
        1. The news would be more interesting to each gender since each gender like a specific topic if they listening to the news
        2. It will make more people listen to the news since each gender like listen to there own gender better than the other one.

2. Hi, some of the advantages of only reporting on the same gender are:
        1. The news would be more interesting to each gender since each gender like a specific topic if they listening to the news
        2. It will make more people listen to the news since each gender like listen to there own gender better than the other one.

3. Hi, there.
        I think reporting only about the same gender has definitely been beneficial. Through reports, the overall situation or situation of a country or nation is presented to the audience. If only the same gender is reported, the various issues of that gender can easily be exposed to a larger audience. Through this people will know more about the gender related issues and will be active in solving the problem. For example - if the media only reports about women's problems (discrimination against women, violation of women's rights, obstacles to women's education and women's liberation, etc.), then people will be more aware of women's problems and willing to solve the problems. The path of women's liberation will advance and expand. If the news is mainly about the same gender, the success, progress and problems of that gender will be presented more in front of the public. I think there are definitely advantages to reporting the same gender but it does discriminate against the other gender. So people of all genders should be reported irrespective of caste-religion-gender.
        Thanks a lot.

4. Hi, there.
        I think reporting only about the same gender has definitely been beneficial. Through reports, the overall situation or situation of a country or nation is presented to the audience. If only the same gender is reported, the various issues of that gender can easily be exposed to a larger audience. Through this people will know more about the gender related issues and will be active in solving the problem. For example - if the media only reports about women's problems (discrimination against women, violation of women's rights, obstacles to women's education and women's liberation, etc.), then people will be more aware of women's problems and willing to solve the problems. The path of women's liberation will advance and expand. If the news is mainly about the same gender, the success, progress and problems of that gender will be presented more in front of the public. I think there are definitely advantages to reporting the same gender but it does discriminate against the other gender. So people of all genders should be reported irrespective of caste-religion-gender.
        Thanks a lot.