Prevent or protect? Poll results!

We asked: What’s the best way for governments to keep people safe?

The results are in...

Prisons

Comments (18)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think by preventing crime the second option which is by protecting people from crime will take place . The government if look upon the first way it will be much better because if we prevent crime and people will be automatically safe . Also it will lead to various good habits in the people too.
    The people will be encouraged to perform good habits and leave the crime such as theft . The people will opt to say the truth and leave behind the unnecessary ways to get a particular thing .
    So if we think that what the government can do in this case 1 to be improved . The government can do campaigns in order to aware the people that a good life is much better then a life in prison ……….

• I also agree with it. As we all know that prevention is better than cure. Similarly, it's better to take actions before the crime took place. If we focus on protecting people from crime, then who knows something bad may happen. We usually start to protect the people from crime, after something bad had happened which might cause many damages. So, protecting the people from crime is like you have already suffered the problem and now you are taking action to minimize it. While preventing the crime means you are taking actions before the crime took place and stopped any corruption from happening. So isn't it better to stop the crime before happening rather than minimizing or reducing it. Protecting the people from crime doesn't ensure the reoccurrence or rehappening of the crime. While preventing the crime work as a precaution and help people to stay away from doing any crime. I think if we focus more on preventing crimes than within a few years we will be able to make our society corruption free as it will stop the happening of any crime.

• I think this might be what I expected because if you just prevent people from crime, there will still be criminals out there so there might not be a point to protect people from crime. Why not make amends to the country 's laws instead of watching crimes happening and just protecting the citizens from it? The head of the country can make amends to the prison system so it can deter people from committing crimes. They can also amend the number of prison staff.
    I think what actually surprises me is that more than 3/4 of people chose the option 'By protecting people from crime'. Personally, I think pretty much all of the people will say the way for governments to keep people safe is by preventing crime because if the government did not do anything about crimes in the country, more and more people might turn to crime as there is nothing to turn them away from that idea.

• I think that the best way to for the government to keep the people safe is to prevent crime. I say this because when crime is prevented, the citizens will be sager and in a more protected state so that is why I think that it is better.
    Some ways to stop crime is for
    law enforcement, developmental, community and situational prevention. Also, according to my research, some ways to prevent crimes is:
    Target hardening, target removal, reducing the means, reducing the payoff, access control, surveillance and environmental change.
    So, I think that if we prevent crimes then it will be easier than protecting people from crimes.
    THANK YOU.

1. I do agree just like the saying prevention is better than cure preventing the crime before it happens is important it ensures safety a mount the citizens and saves money for the country preventing crime is better than protecting people from it. Civilization is much more peacefully than a civilization that is preventing different crimes.

2. Hi wise painting,
      I strongly agree with you because a good way to keep people safe from harm is by prevent crime. I am expecting that when crime is prevented people will find it more safer to stay.Most times I think some ways to preventing crime is by: solving peolpe's case, problems and situation either in the community and society. In addition to what you said "that if we prevent crimes then it will be easier than protecting people from crime". I feel that it is true because when we don't prevent people from committing crimes they might put the society or community in danger. Also I feel that when the governor and the president care about preventing crime, people wouldn't even think of commiting crime.
      THANK YOU!!!

3. Yes, I agree with you. It is better for the government to prevent crimes than to protect because if prevention is done there will not be any need for protection as everything would be done to prevent. This would be better for the citizens and put them in a more secure state. If prevention is done, no one will protect because they are already being prevented from crimes. Also if we are prevented, protection would be far away from our imagination.

4. I agree with you wise_painting because if we prevent crimes it will be a lot easier to protect people from crimes and other vices because protecting people will require more armed forces and weapons as a result spending more money which could have been deployed elsewhere. It will also reduce the loss of lives and buildings. So if we prevent crime law enforcement agencies will have less job to do and could concentrate their engines on other aspects of the law.

5. I agree with you because crime prevention is the primary responsibility of government. The slogan that prevention is better cure is applicable here. Why protect the citizens when you can easily prevent the crimes? It is more complex to combat crimes because of the huge resources that will ne needed to do it. Looking at the lists of what will be required to fight crime, you will agree with me that a whole lot is required to fight crime so just prevent it.
      Thank You.

• This is the result I expected. It is the responsibility of any government in where in the world to protect its citizens. It is better always to prevent crimes than to stop them especially when the crimes have become a huge industries generating revenue. Take for instance, the case of drug trafficking which is one the largest industry and is very difficult to combat. Preventing the availability of these drugs by whatever mean is far better than trying to protect the citizens from their use.
    Preventing will also ultimately helping keeping the numbers low in prison where government spends huge resources in both reforming and also caring for the prisoners.

1. I agree with you. I also expected that most of the topical talkers would choose by preventing crime. I believe " prevention is better than protection" If we protect people from crime, it will secure public safety. But, it will not decrease crime rate. On the other hand, if we prevent crime than the crime rate will decrease. People will do less crime than now. Public will feel safe. As you said about drug trafficking. It is true that we can protect the people by preventing drug trafficking. So, they can't take drugs. Also, we can have another example : think about mafia gang is committing a big crime in a country. Also, the population of that country is huge. So it is impossible for the government to protect every citizen of his/her country . That's why, they must take proper action to prevent the crime for the safety of the citizens.

• I expected this result in the poll because if we stop crimes, there wouldn't be a need for people to be protected from them. It makes sense, right? Preventing crimes is like stopping a problem before it happens, so we don't have to worry about being protected later. But, it's also important to remember that even if we prevent crimes, it's still good to have ways to protect people, just in case. So, while preventing crimes is great, having protection is like a safety net, making sure everyone stays safe no matter what.

1. Interesting ideas! How do you think you could best prevent crimes in society?

1. Hello Molly I @ Topical Talk,
        According to my research, some ways that crimes can be prevented from happening are to;
        Get to know your neighbors,
        Start a neighborhood watch,
        Get to know your local police department,
        Report suspicious activity when you see it,
        Push local politicians to do more, Keep your neighborhood clean,
        And to increase the number of cameras around your home.
        So, these are all safety measures on how to prevent the amount of crimes that happen in your society.
        THANK YOU.

2. Hello Molly I @ Topical Talk,
        According to my research, some ways that crimes can be prevented from happening are to;
        Get to know your neighbors,
        Start a neighborhood watch,
        Get to know your local police department,
        Report suspicious activity when you see it,
        Push local politicians to do more, Keep your neighborhood clean,
        And to increase the number of cameras around your home.
        So, these are all safety measures on how to prevent the amount of crimes that happen in your society.
        THANK YOU.

3. I think the best way to prevent crimes in the society is to lay severe punishments for these crimes. People are usually terrified at severe punishments and only few will dare to commit that crime. In my opinion less people will commit crimes with severe punishments.

4. I think the best way to prevent crimes in the society is to lay severe punishments for these crimes. People are usually terrified at severe punishments and only few will dare to commit that crime. In my opinion less people will commit crimes with severe punishments.

• I expected more than this. I had thought we would have over 90% saying that preventing crime is better. It is always difficult to fight crime so the earlier you prevent it the better for the government. I think more money is spent combating crime than preventing it.
    The government will the help of the media to prevent crime by engaging in reorientation program by education the people while protecting the citizens will require force of arm by the military and police.

• This is what I expected. It is natural to prevent crime than to protect the citizens. To say to protect the citizens is more or less like saying allow the crime to take place than go protect the citizens.
    I believe the reason people will go for prevention is to preventing crime is dealing with root cause of an issue. Protecting citizens does not in any way deal with problem at all so why not face the main issue rather than surface.
    Thank you.

• I think preventing crime is beneficial to help stop crime because with preventing crime what's the use of protecting people from crime. I think without crime there will be peace and protecting people from crime there is still crime I the community. on the other hand I think preventing crime will help life easier for the people and government.

• I will go with preventing crimes because prevention is better than cure. Government can prevent crimes in many ways , but before presenting the ways we have to know first the main reasons for crimes. Poverty, lack of education, lack of support to families, unequal rights, and drugs. We can start by children and adolescents by providing them opportunities to educate and develop their positive behaviors. Now, here is the ways that government can do. First, government can increase the number of police officers on the streets, apply cameras in all public places. Finally, "Crime prevention is everyone's business." Harry Hall. So, it is not just the government's business.

• The answer according to me was quite obvious as if a government start preventing crimes so people would not be required to be protected..it's said "prevention is better then cure" it's also means if we always be alert,aware and pre prepared nothing can harm us..but practically this on a global level to prevent crimes is quite difficult so I think government should always try to bring the protection of people on priority in any case..also if we start preventing crimes people with wrong intention or a criminal would never be motivated and in such a way a no. Of crimes in our society can also be reduced!!

• I would like to say to prevent crime the government should help in preventing crime, because if crimes are prevented people in the country would be safe and be able to move around freely in the county. How the government could help in preventing crimes is to place the armed forces in the boarders in oder to defend and to protect the territorial integrity of a state or a country.for example in the boarders before coming into a country a person would be thoroughly searched in order to avoid carrying of guns and bomb.

• I think that the way to keep people is by preventing crime because if we prevent the crime people can live freely and safely.If we prevent it people can be safe easily but if we try to protect people from crime it can´t be possible because there are so many people in this world and we can´t stop everyone .If we will try to stop one another person will do crime
    Thankyou

• I think that we could manage both but be more strict in prisons but help prevent crime and also provide things to help people live because many criminals commit crime because they are in poverty. If we prevented poverty we could stop many crimes.

• I agree with the poll because If crime is prevented, there will be no need to protect the citizens. It is a cause and effect. Some may say that too many people will die in the process of trying to prevent crime. I say that sacrifices will always need to be made. Preventing crime cost lives but, it will be better in the long run. This is why I belief that trying to prevent crime is the best way for governments to keep its citizens safe.

• Hi,I analyzed by our basic standards, it seems like they might differ after thoughts, and we wonder how to explain this. As expected, we found that there were no user-friendly ads for this question. Crime levels are affected by large communities and a variety of factors. These elements include things like the onset of the economy and demographic shifts, all the way to possibilities like a higher amount of protein in the release. You find commercially that all of these influences have nothing to do with justice. Although it is often assumed that police and other agents of justice play a crucial role in determining crime levels
    Thanks.

• This was what’s i expected because if you prevent the crime it would have never happened, for example if you prevent a house From being robbed the house would never be robbed. Here are some ways I think we can help prevent crimes :
    1. By increasing security in a community to prevent criminals from entering
    2. By giving newly released prisoners job opportunities so that it would take up their time preventing them from committing Crimes again
    3. Lastly by teaching people why breaking the law is bad, and y doing this we can reduce the rate of people committing crimes
    Protecting people from crimes is also important because if we protect the from crimes they won’t get affected from it as much as others.

• Most people will say preventing crime, and this is certainly very important, but from my point of view, the two will achieve the same equation, but the difference between them is that one prevents crimes from occurring and the other protects people from them.
    In short, if the government maintains the principle of preventing crime, it will not be achieved 100% because in the end, we are not angels and we do not live with angels. The rate of occurrence of error or crime, no matter how much the government tries to prevent it, will happen, but not at a large rate, and it must be expected to occur even if it is at a rate of 1%. Therefore, it must be The government plays its role in achieving both by doing its utmost to prevent crimes from occurring, and it also expects that they can happen, so it takes precautions if this happens, how can it quickly protect people, so the two are complementary to each other, so it is not there is one of these methods that is more important than the other, but there is one that is faster in achieving peaceful living, which is of course preventing the occurrence of crime.